TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rockey Offline
Live Life While You Can
Not a n00b

Name: Justin

Do I have Dyslexia? - October 2nd 2013, 03:51 AM

After a long time of wondering I finally ask my question and think about it.. "Do I have Dyslexia?" I've always been a bit "slower" then my class in reading and writing. It took me up to 5th grade to learn left and right.. sometimes I still get confused. I'm think I do have Dyslexia. Is there anyway to tell?

Alright, thanks..

-Rockey

Send a message via Skype™ to Rockey 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Do I have Dyslexia? - October 2nd 2013, 04:07 AM

Hi Rockey,

This could be dyslexia or another learning disability. The best way to find out what this is and to get help is to set up an appointment with a professional that can assess and possibly diagnose what you are going through.
You can talk to your parents and see what they say about making you an appointment. Your school may also have a person that does diagnosis or that can connect your parents to a local resource. This is nothing to be ashamed about and it is great you want help for this and that you are realizing this struggle now rather than farther into your education.
We cannot tell you if you have a certain disability because we are not medical professionals.
Hope this is helpful.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Rockey Offline
Live Life While You Can
Not a n00b

Name: Justin

Re: Do I have Dyslexia? - October 2nd 2013, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakorrhaphiophobia View Post
Hi Rockey,

This could be dyslexia or another learning disability. The best way to find out what this is and to get help is to set up an appointment with a professional that can assess and possibly diagnose what you are going through.
You can talk to your parents and see what they say about making you an appointment. Your school may also have a person that does diagnosis or that can connect your parents to a local resource. This is nothing to be ashamed about and it is great you want help for this and that you are realizing this struggle now rather than farther into your education.
We cannot tell you if you have a certain disability because we are not medical professionals.
Hope this is helpful.
Hello! Thanks for getting back to me so fast. I've talked to my mother about it and she says I'm not. She just thinks I'm struggling maybe. It's nothing to be ashamed of.. well, I don't think it is! But, I wouldn't really be up to talk to anyone else besides my family and you guys.

I know 99% of people aren't doctors on here, but still good to get some feed back.

Thanks!

Send a message via Skype™ to Rockey 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Do I have Dyslexia? - October 2nd 2013, 05:37 PM

These things are often screened for at a very young age. In the fourth grade my entire class was screened (by what seemed like a normal spelling test) and that’s when they discovered that I am dyslexic. So more likely than not, you have been tested without even knowing.

You can always talk to your school counselor about being screened. But teachers are taught to pay attention to things that might be a sign of a learning disorder, so I feel like if someone else thought you had it, they would have reported it by now.

But, you never know and it doesn’t hurt to get tested.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

Closed Thread