TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Communication with those with Autism and Asperger Syndrome? - January 26th 2014, 12:17 AM

DISCLAIMER: I am not intending to be offensive by posting this. I am just trying to learn more about these disorders and how to effectively communicate with those who have them because my knowledge base on Autism and Asperger Syndrome are very limited, and I can only go by what I've heard. If anyone has any questions or concerns about how I word anything or what I want to know, don't hesitate to send me a Private Message.

So, there are a LOT of people in the freshmen class with some form of Autism or Asperger Syndrome. In fact, 6 or 7 out of 19 of the freshmen in my computer class have one of these. I was told by one of the computer teachers that it is likely they took our shop because they are good at technology and technology is something they can control, whereas they would have a hard time communicating with people and socializing. I heard that one guy in that class has an IQ of 160, I was like damn.

Because of them being in my computer class, I will see a lot of them very often. I don't know how often, if at all, I will actually be interacting with them since I am a senior and they are freshmen, but they're in the class at the same time I am, just with a different teacher. Because I'll be nearby a lot, I want to just learn a bit more about Autism and Asperger Syndrome in case opportunities do arise to communicate with them. Please feel free to tell me anything you think I should know. My teacher told me that my school psychologist is probably going to come in and give us a lesson on this, but I'd also want to hear things from other people as well.

Since, from what I've heard, they do have a hard time communicating and socializing, is there anything I'd be able to do to make it easier on them if we ever do have to interact? For example, I heard from my teacher they have a difficult time reading body language and a lot of the time they don't understand sarcasm and take it literally, so I'd have to be more specific with my wording, right? Is there anything else I'd be able to say or do to make things easier or more comfortable for them?

This part, again, I do NOT want to be offensive when I say this. I'm asking due to what I've experienced with one girl in particular already, and do want to know what to do if situations like this come up in the future. Basically, there was a girl who did insult one of my classmates by saying something pretty rude, and I noticed that she's very up front about things sometimes. For example, she came early to her therapy session once so I was still meeting with the therapist, so she saw me there. Later on we sat at the same lunch table since she sat with one of my friends and she was asking me a lot of questions and basically was asking me what type of issues I had and how severe, etc. I was kind of uncomfortable answering all of the questions. I don't want to get upset with her or anything for doing this since I know that she may have a difficult time actually socializing, but is there any way to handle it if someone (whether it be her or someone else) says something that would normally make a person uncomfortable or upset? I mean, I know to definitely stay patient, but I don't want to risk saying something that seems rude back.

I'm sure that for the most part, I should treat them as I would anyone else right? But if there's anything that would make it easier on them, I'd be okay with knowing.

Again, I'm really sorry if this sounds stupid or offensive, I promise that wasn't my intention. :/ Please feel free to talk to me about it if you think anything shouldn't have been said or should have been worded differently.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Communication with those with Autism and Asperger Syndrome? - January 26th 2014, 12:34 AM

Hey, Dez!

You don't sound offensive at all, I think it's great that you're asking this.

My twin brother has Autism, and I have Asperger's. He isn't very verbal, but I am.

People with autism tend to be very good at one particular thing. This is because processes and concepts are off in some areas, making things stronger in others. My brother is very good with foreign languages. So, chances are, that they are also very interested in technology.

There have been recent studies (I'll come back and post the link) where people with autism hear differently. Voices can sound like a fuzzy radio station. People can also have hearing delays, meaning that they see you talking but your lips aren't in sync with what they can hear you saying. Therefore, a lot of people with Autism or Asperger's do well with written information or instructions. Because of this, if you notice one of the students struggling or lost with the material and you are able to help, try to do so. A lot suffer with OCD, or, as you said, social anxiety.

I've volunteered with a lot of children with autism, and I noticed that engaging in conversations about themselves and what they like seems to make them happy! If you ask them what they like, they'll go into depth with all sorts of interesting information.

That one student who asked you questions that made you feel uncomfortable most likely doesn't understand about what and what not to ask. As you said, staying patient is a good idea. You could make your answers vague and to the point if you'd like, or possibly ease into the change of subject.

I hope I helped somewhat! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Communication with those with Autism and Asperger Syndrome? - January 26th 2014, 12:42 AM

So basically if I ever were to help out, do you think one thing that would be useful to them is if they were to be working on say, a Word document, is to maybe take screenshots of what steps they should be taking and maybe a step by step instruction of it? Such as maybe 1. Go to file (with a screenshot of where I mean) 2. Click Word Options (screenshot), etc., since that may be easier on them than verbally listening? Fortunately, a lot of the books I used when I was a freshman (I can't speak for what is being taught to them now, since when I was a freshman, the teacher they have wasn't there), guided well, and when I started learning a new concept, most of the time it was shown up on the board first and we would either follow along or do it after it was shown.

Oh, thanks SO much! This was really informative, so thank you for answering.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Communication with those with Autism and Asperger Syndrome? - January 26th 2014, 12:50 AM

This is the article I mentioned earlier.

That sounds good! Anything visual is useful and helps them just a little bit more. It might be more beneficial for the students to see it, but it does also depend on the individual. I think you could do both, if you wanted to!

I'm glad I could help! And I think it's wonderful that you want to help others, as well.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#5 (permalink)) Old
franz1 Offline
Out of the box thinker
Junior TeenHelper

Name: brady shaw

Re: Communication with those with Autism and Asperger Syndrome? - January 26th 2014, 05:44 AM

As I see it, being disabled myself, I am blind....
Don't treat them as *special people* like don't dumb things down too far just to try and communicate with them. not trying to single them out but for lack of better word I will use *them*...anyways, just try talking to them...if you meet with that girl or anyone else who asks you questions that your not comfortable answering, don't be scared that your being rude...just simply state: I'm sorry, but I am not really comfortable talking about (insert whatever here) with anyone else. Can we maybe talk about something else?

In the short run it might sound rude to you, but it is true, I know my situation is different but people tend to avoid the words see and look around me....I just simply tell them don't change your wording just for me, I understand what you mean and it makes me feel different when you try hard to avoid certian wording or actions. Just be yourself. I hope that helps....it's late so I might be going in circles....

Helen: I'm someone who has chosen to embrace the broad spectrum of our reality.

​“Levity helps keep far more insidious things at bay.”
Dr. Helen Magnus, “Sanctuary For All”
SANCTUARY

“Feeling safe is something we all need.”
Dr. Will Zimmerman, “Sanctuary For All”
SANCTUARY

“We learn more from failure than from success.”
Nikola Tesla, “END OF NIGHTS” PART II
SANCTUARY

“Life without purpose isn’t… life.”
Will Zimmerman, “PAVOR NOCTURNUS”
SANCTUARY
  Send a message via Skype™ to franz1 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Communication with those with Autism and Asperger Syndrome? - January 26th 2014, 06:19 AM

Cassie and Franz1 both gave great advice. Personally, I've only met/spoken to/been friends with people who have Asperger's but not from any of the other spectrums. Honestly, I speak to them like I would to anyone else but also being mindful and sensitive and observant. If they somehow seem uncomfortable, to recognize it and stuff, you know? But kinda like how you would do with anyone. What Cassie suggested seems useful too, but I don't know much about it. Maybe it will help me out with my friend/s

I know someone with both ADHD and Asperger's Syndrome, so it's hard to distinguish which behavior is coming from which one. I've spent nearly everyday of last summer with her (we both worked at the same daycare) I do know that my friend was talking about how she in her math class the teacher does everything for her, and that she wants to try understanding things herself and without the teacher giving away all the answers. So I guess to learn from that, to know when to help and when to step away for a bit and let them figure things out on their own.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread