TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
franz1 Offline
Out of the box thinker
Junior TeenHelper

Name: brady shaw

Need some advice please... - February 11th 2014, 11:52 AM

Well, as some of you may know, I have been fighting a battle with depression...A tough battle at that.

But I have a new problem. I am movi ng to a new housing situation here in a couple weeks. I will have a dorm mate 4 of them unless I can convince them to let me be in one of the apartments on my own. My huge problem is that I am 1. blind, and 2. I am incontinent and have to wear diapers 24/7. I am worried because I can barely tell someone I trust let alone someone I don't even know. I don't know what to do...and it's stressing me out. Any advice on what I could do would be greatly appriciated. Thank you.
(the room is like a simple dorm room. 2 beds in each room and share 1 bathroom. Common area and storage are also shared.)

Helen: I'm someone who has chosen to embrace the broad spectrum of our reality.

​“Levity helps keep far more insidious things at bay.”
Dr. Helen Magnus, “Sanctuary For All”
SANCTUARY

“Feeling safe is something we all need.”
Dr. Will Zimmerman, “Sanctuary For All”
SANCTUARY

“We learn more from failure than from success.”
Nikola Tesla, “END OF NIGHTS” PART II
SANCTUARY

“Life without purpose isn’t… life.”
Will Zimmerman, “PAVOR NOCTURNUS”
SANCTUARY
  Send a message via Skype™ to franz1 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Need some advice please... - February 11th 2014, 01:39 PM

Hey there.

You sound like you're in a rough spot right now. So, are you going to try for an apartment or are you going for the dorm room?

If you end up going for the dorm room, you might be able to tell your roommates something small at first. For instance, that you struggle with some things and will become open with them when you feel comfortable. This way, you'll be able to talk about small things and build up that trust to make it a little easier on you. However, if you decide to ask for an apartment, you might be able to talk to someone who's mature about it. I'd say just to be honest and up front in this situation do you can get help with everything that you need.

Let me know if I can do anything to help you!

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#3 (permalink)) Old
franz1 Offline
Out of the box thinker
Junior TeenHelper

Name: brady shaw

Re: Need some advice please... - February 11th 2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchantment View Post
Hey there.

You sound like you're in a rough spot right now. So, are you going to try for an apartment or are you going for the dorm room?

If you end up going for the dorm room, you might be able to tell your roommates something small at first. For instance, that you struggle with some things and will become open with them when you feel comfortable. This way, you'll be able to talk about small things and build up that trust to make it a little easier on you. However, if you decide to ask for an apartment, you might be able to talk to someone who's mature about it. I'd say just to be honest and up front in this situation do you can get help with everything that you need.

Let me know if I can do anything to help you!
I personally want the apartment. If I have a choice that is what I am going for, however I don't think I have a choice. My only really worry is if I do hide it...where will I keep my stuff? i mean I get 2 cases of diapers a month, 13 packages..how do I hide that?

Helen: I'm someone who has chosen to embrace the broad spectrum of our reality.

​“Levity helps keep far more insidious things at bay.”
Dr. Helen Magnus, “Sanctuary For All”
SANCTUARY

“Feeling safe is something we all need.”
Dr. Will Zimmerman, “Sanctuary For All”
SANCTUARY

“We learn more from failure than from success.”
Nikola Tesla, “END OF NIGHTS” PART II
SANCTUARY

“Life without purpose isn’t… life.”
Will Zimmerman, “PAVOR NOCTURNUS”
SANCTUARY
  Send a message via Skype™ to franz1 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: Need some advice please... - February 19th 2014, 11:39 PM

Hey Brady,
You mentioned dorm, does that mean you are going to be at a school? If so and you have a documented disability, you can request living accommodations. At my school they give the single dorm rooms to students with disabilities. I would suggest speaking to the person who does the housing. If you can explain your situation (you don't have to explain in full, maybe just provide documentation or something) I'm sure they will be willing to place you in a single. Usually people are pretty understanding when it comes to disabilities. Otherwise, I would try to get your roommates e-mails ahead of time. I'm sure it would be much easier to say something over the computer to them instead of face to face. Even though it will be hard at first, you'll find people who accept you for who you are!
Hang in there,
Alessa

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

Closed Thread