TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ihea Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Hayden

Asperger's? - February 22nd 2014, 02:18 AM

Apparently I have Asperger's.

I guess it really didn't come as a surprise, but at the same time it's just so strange. I first heard about it in seventh grade and when I asked my mom about it she was quick to tell me I didn't have it and that was that. Or at least until I started to talk to the child therapist at my school and he told me that after interacting with me and other numerous Asperger's kids, I most likely am an Aspie myself.

One thing that's kind of weird, though, is that I'm both a gifted child and an Aspie, so I have mixed traits from both sides. I'm not entirely 100% Aspie or entirely 100% gifted so I'm kind of sitting on that fence where I'm insightful on my Asperger's but I still exhibit said symptoms.

I don't know, that's what's been happening in my life. It also explains a lot of other things: my social anxiety, OCD, depression symptoms, and even my mania and ADHD symptoms. I guess it's kind of relieving to know that nothing is wrong with me that I can control.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Asperger's? - February 22nd 2014, 02:35 AM

Hey there, Hayden!

It'll feel strange at first, it did for me, as well. Try to remember that Asperger's and your other struggles aren't you. Your name is Hayden, and you're a unique individual who happens to have Asperger's, but it won't ever define who you are as a person.

A lot of people who are on the ASD Spectrum are very talented in one way or another. A lot of famous chess players, for example, have Asperger's. People on the spectrum are known for being capable of absorbing information and letting it resonate within themselves.

A lot of things factor in to Asperger's, especially social anxiety and OCD. Some of the other things you're going through are counter-symptoms that aren't ideal, but are manageable. With social anxiety, I have found that exposure to people eventually helps somewhat.

Feel free to message me if you'd like!

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ihea Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Asperger's? - February 22nd 2014, 05:22 AM

Thanks for that response. The psychologist was reassuring me that I can still be successful when he told me, and I know there are a lot of people with Asperger's that do great things, but it's still weird to think that hey, I'm one of them.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
random.swirls Offline
Average Joe

Name: Meera

Re: Asperger's? - February 22nd 2014, 06:55 AM

Hey Hayden,

That's good the psychologist was reassuring you. You can be successful even if you have Aspergers. I myself have Aspergers and I am successful for example I am great at writing poetry. If you ever need to talk feel free to VM/PM me anytime you want.

Love from Meera xx

Be Strong, Have Faith, Have Courage xx

Current Mental Health - Sever depression, SAD,Self harm, Suicide thoughts, anxiety attacks and voices in my head.

Current Medicines - Fluoxetine

Feel free to PM me anytime , I love getting PM's and I love supporting people as it distracts me from my horrible thoughts.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Asperger's? - February 22nd 2014, 08:52 AM

Hey there Hayden

As people have been saying, being Aspy (or anywhere on the Autism Spectrum) isn't a bad thing. There are a lot of debates over how useful it is to put a label on people, my opinion is go with it if it's of help to you.

So now that you know a little more about how your brain works and processes things, what does this mean for you? Might mean you can work out how better to learn and live your life, as Hayden

It's also common to be gifted and ASD, just as common to be gifted and not

My background is working with students with ASD (as well as others), so hit me up if you have questions.

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Asperger's? - February 22nd 2014, 12:16 PM

My boyfriend has Asperger's and is clever It's good that you now have a clear diagnoses and can get more support.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Asperger's? - February 22nd 2014, 04:52 PM

Hi, Hayden!

I also have Asperger's, and I share some of the same qualities as you. I think social anxiety is experienced by most people with Asperger's. Other anxiety disorders and OCD are also more likely to be exhibited by Aspies than other people. I personally feel having a diagnosis is good, as you understand how your mind works. It's useful for getting support and help with the disorder.

Also, I'm gifted and on the spectrum. It's more common than you'd think to be both, and there are some very famous people who have had Asperger's or are speculated to have it. Ranging from Bill Gates to Abraham Lincoln, they are amongst some of the highest achievers in arts, sciences, politics, business and many more areas.

I wish you the best! Some of the counter-symptoms, like Cassie said, are manageable, if they take time. I hope everything goes okay.

Gareth
  Send a message via Skype™ to Catharsis. 
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Ihea Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Asperger's? - February 23rd 2014, 12:55 AM

Thanks for all your support. It's still a bit confusing, because I don't seem like an Aspie all the time. Like, I can handle some social interaction and I pick up on some cues, and I think that maybe that un-qualifies me, but at the same time I still have a lot of problems with that, haha.

Closed Thread