TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jays Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jamie Sue

Question paralyzed. Big sister - April 10th 2014, 07:37 PM

This is the 16 year old sister! Not the 14 year old that is pregnant!
I am not homeless and I met this really nice guy. But he is paralyzed and he is 17. He was in a horrible car accident. I would like to go out with him. But when I am with him in public i feel bad for him. Is this okay? I want to help him, but he turns down my help.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: paralyzed. Big sister - April 10th 2014, 09:21 PM

Hi,

I think feeling bad for him is natural. Many people I meet for the first time want to help me with many things until overtime and through honest discussion, they see what I can do and where I can use their help.
The thing is, you have a right to want to help him but not do what he can do for himself (if that makes any sense). Let him show you what he can do and when he asks for help give him help and when he does not ask for help just hang out with him.
This can be very difficult most likely because it is hard for people to imagine themselves in someone's else's circumstances. So, we think we would be doing the person good by just doing certain things for them but this can lead to frustration.
If you believe he is being stubborn and attempting to much (more than he is capable of doing) than you can tell him that you will help him and that you notice he is struggling to accomplish something and that if he needs help you can be asked.
I know it is challenging trying to step back and let him do things on his own but he can be quite independent even though he is paralyzed if he has the right resources to help him and depending on how paralyzed he is.
Another thing I suggest is doing research. Look online to see what tools people that are paralyzed use to help increase what they can do and how they do things. Being aware of what he has and how he does things may give you reassurance that he may not need a whole lot of help, just whenever he asks.
Hopefully this is helpful.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Mel Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Mel

Re: paralyzed. Big sister - April 15th 2014, 05:47 PM

Hi there,

I think it's normal to have compassion for his situation. Our instincts tell us that we should be helping people when they're not capable of doing certain things or if they're struggling to do it on their own. One thing I've learned from having disabled family members, though, is that being able to do these things -- even if the task is very hard to complete -- is still very important to them. In a lot cases they are able to do things; it just takes some extra effort and time (which is totally okay).

If this is bothering you a lot, I'd suggest letting him know that if there's anything he needs help with, that he can ask you any time. After you've told him that, just let it be though. It may be difficult to do it that way because you most likely want to help him each time you can, but having that kind of independence is big for those who do have limitations physically. I know that in my situation, it certainly was.

It may be a little difficult to get used to at first, but I'm positive that after being around him more that you will be able to. I sure did.

Take care.

∞ 1.16.07 ∞ 7.4.07 ∞ 9.16.08 ∞

Click here to PM me. | Never Give Up ツ

I have not failed.
I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Your_Friend Offline
Average Joe

Name: Ibrahim aka Ibiii

Re: paralyzed. Big sister - April 15th 2014, 05:54 PM

Hey

Its natural to feel bad like everyone else said here.I am glad that you are being friendly with him.Support him and encourage him that he still can achieve his goals.Life is too long.He need support and you should provide it to him.
Best of luck

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Anastasiana Offline
Jumping Jellybeans Batman!
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: paralyzed. Big sister - April 26th 2014, 07:46 AM

Someone who is disabled already feels helpless, offering to help only enforces this feeling. If he needs help, he'll learn to ask for it. I say just enjoy your time with him, and try to overlook his difficulties in life.

Closed Thread