TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Do I count as disabled? - September 6th 2014, 06:07 PM

I never used to identify as disabled, it would never have occured to me that I might fit in that bracket, or that I could get any kind of help and support. My.. issues have got worse over the last few years and I've been told I should get in touch with the disability people at my university. But I feel like a faker and that I'm taking it away from people who really need support, because how on earth could I be classed as having a disability?

I have hypothyroidism, which is manageable but I have to take a hormone replacement for the rest of my life, I get chronic tension headaches, again treated with medication taken daily, IBS and (supposedly) leaky gut syndrome which makes me feel ill a lot of the time, and I seem to have fatigue almost all of the time although I don't know what's causing that, whether it's something already mentioned or something different. I also have longterm mental health problems. But I feel like, because I don't have an actual disability I shouldn't be using the service. :/

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Do I count as disabled? - September 6th 2014, 07:02 PM

Hi Harrison,

If your hypothyroidism is affecting you greatly (causing the fatigue you are experiencing, the headaches etc.) than I suggest you talk to your school about what accommodations are available.
You would not be taking from anyone by using their services. They are there to help studetns that need extra help because of a disability and since you are struggling with this, it will not hurt to see what they can do for you.
You can make an appointment with their office most likely to explain to them what you are experiencing and ask them if they need any sort of documentation to prove that you have hypothyroidism (this may be a note from a physician).
I hope this helps and that you get the support you need from your school.
If you ever want to talk, you can PM me. I'm always willing to listen and support as best as possible.
Take care.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Do I count as disabled? - September 6th 2014, 07:12 PM

Hey Harrison, disability services actually accommodate more conditions than you might think. Any condition diagnosed by a qualified professional, that interferes with your ability to learn or do well in your classes may qualify you for services and that includes medical conditions, learning disabilities, and mental health diagnoses. The documentation process may vary by school, but there's paperwork to be filled out and signed by a doctor and/or mental health professional depending on the diagnosis that proves that you do in fact have it and they would provide you a list of accommodations they consider reasonable and necessary. That doesn't mean that you would have to take them if you don't want to, it would label you. I think it depends how much it's interfering with your life. If you're sick enough that you can't attend classes to the point that you're missing significant amounts of information, it may be worth looking into Not every "disability" is visible and there are several different kinds. If you need the accommodations, you are entitled to them by law. It's up to you.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Re: Do I count as disabled? - September 6th 2014, 08:13 PM

Thanks for the advice. I am pretty severely affected, I barely made it through last year, needing extensions, missing lectures, falling asleep in the ones I did make it to. I thought it was just depression but then it turned out it wasn't.

Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Do I count as disabled? - September 6th 2014, 09:26 PM

Hey,

I get disability services for my mental health problems. I think if the medical conditions you are dealing with are causing you a great deal of distress and are making it difficult for you to complete your classes then you could qualify. If you can get a doctors note for the disability then they would probably be able to accommodate you to some degree. I think this is something that would be worth looking into.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lillibette Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Do I count as disabled? - September 12th 2014, 04:10 AM

Agreed with everyone else. You aren't taking anything away from other people. Disability services are there to help people who need accommodations. Whether you personally want to identify as disabled is up to you, however.

Please use fae or they pronouns in reference to me.
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Do I count as disabled? - September 12th 2014, 01:19 PM

Hypothyroidism shouldn't count as a disability. Lots of people have hypothyroidism.

However, IBS, tension headaches, and the mental health problems may qualify you as disabled as it affects your ability to work.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Re: Do I count as disabled? - September 22nd 2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelola View Post
Hypothyroidism shouldn't count as a disability. Lots of people have hypothyroidism.
The reason I ask is because it affects my ability to work at uni. What makes something a disability?

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Novocaine9 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Do I count as disabled? - September 22nd 2014, 01:53 PM

Anything that interferes with your ability to learn or do things is a disability. What you are going through sounds really tough. Taking them up on their offer might be beneficial. As long as it your hypothyroidism affects you in some significant way then you could probably qualify for accommodations. So, read up a little more on this topic and decide if you think it would help you with university. I wish you luck.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Do I count as disabled? - September 22nd 2014, 10:18 PM

If something affects your learning or work and it is "diagnosable" then you would qualify for disability services at universities.

There is nothing wrong with needing help.

I have ADHD and I get help at disability services at my college. But I don't consider myself disabled because I feel like that makes things sound so bad - I am a very capable person and I refuse to apply labels to myself that sound limiting because I am not limited. But just because I refuse to attach "disability" to the fact that I have ADHD does NOT mean that I am "normal", and the world just works better if I access these services (and for the record, I don't want to be normal, normal is overrated. Things like having ADHD make me who I am, but it is not a limitation, but it can be a challenge)

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread