TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Angry Just feel like I'm completely stupid. - March 27th 2015, 01:59 PM

I suffer with ADHD and dyslexia they are both challenging to cope with when trying to do work at college. Im currently at college doing a traineeship one of the teaching assistants was telling me how my cv and my currently grades were terrible and were in desperate need of building up. I respect his opinion and value it but people always seem to have low expectation towards me because I have learning disabilities it honestly gets me so down. When i come to think of it thought I say to myself how smart am I? If it wasn't for my computer having spell check you probably wouldn't understand this thread. I feel so angry at myself because I can't even do basic maths and when I say basic I mean basic. The other day i was sending a Facebook message to my friend I was watching my phone correct most words I thought I knew how to spell. One of the teaching assistants on my old course said he's very worried about me because of some of the stuff I was not able to complete. He also said Justin your teachers must have failed you at primary school and it makes me very angry and upset. Im unable to do my alphabet or anything I can't do times tables either. When in lessons at college I'm constantly fighting with my brain because I'm unable to concentrate on work i'll just look at it and stare part of my brain wants to work the other wants to day dream. I personally feel if I could concentrate I would be able to learn.

Conclusion to my thread.
I feel that my ADHD is the reason why I struggle to concentrate it effects people in different ways. How am I supposed to even get a job with my cv is terrible and shockingly bad it's most likely to get put in the bin. Is it wrong for me to feel stupid ? Im 18 and i can't do some of the most easy things.

Take care ~Justin~

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Skyline Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Skye

Re: Just feel like I'm completely stupid. - March 27th 2015, 03:28 PM

Hi there, I actually don't know a lot (or anything) about ADHD or dyslexia, but I do know that intelligence (and therefore stupidity) is not measured through school work, or your ability to do maths, etc. Personally I think intelligence is more about awareness and being able to think for yourself, and less about what society nowadays calls "intelligence". I mean, what's so incredible about learning a series letters in a certain order? It's not intelligence, it's holding in information and spurting it back out.

I understand how frustrating this must be, but you just have to remember that there is nothing intelligent about maths or grammar or stuff like that, so don't get yourself down because of things like that which you can't help.

There is a famous quote from Einstein that goes: "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." This about sums up everything which should be said!

Good luck!

Skye.

"You shall love your crooked neighbour / with your crooked heart."

Closed Thread