TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PeaceSoundsNice Offline
I like trains
Average Joe

Name: Dawn

Angry Maladaptive Daydreams - October 1st 2015, 02:21 AM

Hello~
Kind of ironic that I'm posting a question on MD when I only recently answered one. At any rate, I have MD which... well, look it up. I have explained it too many times and I'm kind of getting tired of it. (However, on the Internet they tend to make it seem a bit more mild than it is. One does not just pace while having an MD. You pace frantically, wide-eyed and twitching while mouthing words, typically tripping and bumping into things throughout the process. In other words, you look possessed to the ignorant observer.)
Now, my parents had never heard of MD until I told them about it (and that I have it.) (MD is not diagnosed by psychiatrists as not enough research had been done, but... yeah, it's pretty hard to miss if you have it. It doesn't have any grey areas that need to be approved of my a professional like OCD and stuff.) Because of this, I'd basically spent my whole childhood thinking that something is seriously wrong with me and being bullied for it. (I hate that word. Bully. It seems so childish and insignificant when the actual definition is much more powerful.) Anyways, now that I know, I don't have to worry anymore, right?
Nope. My parents STILL DON'T GET why I have to go up to my room and be unreachable for twenty minutes, so they just lecture me about turning down my music. My music IS NOT THE PROBLEM! I just don't understand why they still won't get it. They're my parents, so I was hoping that they would support me, but apparently I was wrong. Any advice on further explaining this to them? I've already shown them a bunch of websites talking about it and some papers on it, but it hasn't really worked.

"When I'm in a pinch, you can save me, and when you're in a pinch, I'll be there for you. Friends."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Maladaptive Daydreams - October 5th 2015, 03:15 PM

I have never heard of this so I am unsure how much help this response will be but I will do my best.
I believe that if you have tried explaining these things to your parents and they do not understand it may be time to get help from professionals that may be able to give a clear concise definition to them.
I know that is not much support but I hope that you can find someone that can help you inform them.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Maladaptive Daydreams - October 16th 2015, 09:18 AM

Hey there,

I'm really sorry to hear this. It's natural that this would be very frustrating for you. It's also unfortunate that MD is relatively new and not many professionals know much about it. Whilst you can't make someone understand, perhaps comparing it to something else might help e.g. you could say it's like OCD but instead of constantly counting/checking/washing you daydream instead. It's really good that you have showed your parents websites and articles. I also agree with having a professional explain it to them, if that's possible.

I'm sure your parents do want to support you. They probably just don't know if they don't understand. Hope things work out for you

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread