TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

seeing an OT - October 18th 2015, 05:22 AM

Well I was speaking to someone and she "referred" me to an OT. I put that in quotes because although she is a professional, she isn't my personal professional. But she is knowledgeable and told me to email or call a certain Occupational therapist. So I did that. But then I asked about insurance and she said no, she doesn't take insurance but she can write a super bill so I can get reimbursement. Can someone explain what that means and how that process works? Also my money is controlled (by my father) and I'm trying to get my own bank account but I don't think I'll be able to pay anything at all. I only have 15 dollars in my bank account. I'm supposed to have more but my dad wants me to consult him every time I need my own money. I'm very scared to bring this up though because he tends to be dismissive. Should I just cancel altogether? The OT asked me to call her on Tuesday at 1pm. The last thing I said to her was that I have class 12:45-2 but can call either before or after.

But this super bill thing is confusing.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: seeing an OT - October 18th 2015, 05:35 AM

If you call them, someone there should be able and willing to explain it, I've never heard of it, but if it's something they do, they'll know how it works.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: seeing an OT - October 21st 2015, 03:01 PM

Calling the office would be best. Or calling your insurance company.
Remember you are at a point where having control of your personal banking is a very important skill because you will need to develop those skills for when you are on your own in the future. You should be able to open a bank account with only $15.
Your health is very important so if you need this support than do the best you can to get it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Re: seeing an OT - October 23rd 2015, 01:35 PM

Thank you both.

I feel very stupid. I got myself all tangled up.
I spoke to the OT and I had made an appointment
She told me it would be 300 dollars intake then 200/45 minute session thereon after.
Then I called my insurance company and it turns out I don't get reimbursed because my insurance doesn't do that.
So I email the OT saying I have financial constraints but that is get back to her to possibly reschedule (just to get more time and possibly speak to father about this)
Well she was really nice and said of course and that she will lower intake to 200 dollars.

Then she told me to fill out a self questionnaire online and she will process the results for me.
Over the few days I was thinking maybe I should drop this altogether. I survived this far, so why am I suddenly seeking help.
Then I filled out the questionnaire and a few days later she sent me an email with the results. I scored within the range of sensory difficulties.
That does mean I can use help. But I'm also so old and can probably compensate just as I have been this far. (Aka crying that leads to family accommodating. Though lately they're telling me I need to stop having special needs because it annoys them)
Anyway...isn't it normal to want quiet? Do I really need treatment for this? I have no clue.
There's no way I can find an OT that takes my insurance because it is very rare to find someone who helps adults with sensory problems. I basically spoke to someone who referred me but I wasn't able to find any other. It is rare because sensory processing difficulties is found in childhood very few OT centers cater to adults even in a huge city and it is costly.

I feel doomed. Maybe I'm complaining too much and don't have a problem after all. But the results say otherwise and my initial hunch says otherwise.

The only thing is that I scored much lower than others in sensory seeking (everything else i scored much higher) but I do seek certain feelings just not the examples given on the questionnaire. I run my hands on certain textures but only when I want to. I hate to wear those textures as clothes. I guess I should have wrote that in the comments section.
I feel so stupid

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: seeing an OT - October 25th 2015, 03:15 PM

You are not stupid for trying your best to get help.
Could you try talking to your dad? Maybe if you explain things and let him know the reasons you want help (so you can be more productive/successful) and he may understand and support you.
If not, could you save up the money you make into a bank account and eventually pay for the sessions on your own?
Hope this helps.
Take care and you can PM me if you ever would like someone to talk/vent to.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Re: seeing an OT - November 8th 2015, 04:20 PM

I'm frightened to talk to my dad. I know that's silly but I'm afraid he will tell me I'm making it up for attention. Lately wearing headphones to block out sound has been helping. I don't play music, just wears them empty but I end up getting ahheadache when I wear them for more than an hour.

Cutting g helps sorta. But there's obvious consequences. I hate when my differences annoy people. I feel so bad

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: seeing an OT - November 10th 2015, 11:58 AM

Susan,

That is not silly at all. Is there a way you could make an appointment without his involvement or ask him to allow you more independence in regards to your finances and decisions since you are over 18 and want to be able to prepare yourself for hwen you are on your own?
That is not an unreasonable request since it is important you know how to manage things and if things get too much for you, you can always let him know you come to him for support when you need his help/advice.
I know that this is not much of a reply but I hope it helps in some way.
You can do this.

Closed Thread