TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
The Doctors Wolf
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Moon

Exclamation please help! multiple sclerosis possibility - October 18th 2015, 07:44 PM

For a few months I've been having bad eye pain and other weird things so I looked up my symptoms and over and over I saw "multiple sclerosis" I know that I might not have it and quite possibly have something else but I have 14 out of 16 symptoms of MS and I've been told I need to go to a doctor but when I tell my parents some of the things I'm experiencing they tell me to stop complaining how do I tell them I need help?

And here are my symptoms

Blurry/watery vision
Dull ache in the back of my eye (like someone is squeezing my eye)
Pain looking one way
Stabbing pains in my arms legs and ribs
My toes feet and legs up to my knee go numb or "fuzzy" a lot
Weakness sometimes in one arm
Sometimes my jaw or arm will jerk involuntarily
Bladder problems (miscommunication sorta)
Fatigue
Depression
Pins and needles on the tip and back of my head
Fuzzy memory on some things
Clumsiness (I tend to also drop things a lot)
Can't focus

I know no one here or the internet can offer the same diagnosis as a doctor so please don't tell me that but I'm more asking how to tell my parents or get them to listen since theyusuallydismiss it as attention seeking or exaggerated (I have a small history but I don't do it anymore) so please I need help its getting in the way of lots of things

(#2 (permalink)) Old
David Armes Offline
Average Joe

Name: David Armes

Re: please help! multiple sclerosis possibility - October 19th 2015, 09:20 AM

Hi,

Show your parents the research that you have found and why you need to go to a doctor.

I think you need to go because I hate to tell you this but MS is dangerous and can often cause death. My cousin had it and she nearly died but with doctors help it can be easily cured.

See a doctor ASAP and get your parents to listen to why you need to go.

David

David Armes

always happy to help

keep positive

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: please help! multiple sclerosis possibility - October 19th 2015, 11:41 AM

Hey there,

Sorry to hear that you are suffering. However, there is always a danger of self-diagnosis with the internet, as we may not get it right and might worry about something that we may or may not have (even if you identify with many of the symptoms, the internet cannot measure the severity of your symptoms).

I think it would be best to describe the symptoms you are having to your parents and how they are impacting your life, and say that it is in your best interests to get it checked out.

Have you tried treating some of the symptoms to see if they get better? For example, blurry vision, dull ache in the eye and pain looking one way could be symptoms of eye related issues like eye strain or needing new/stronger glasses. Perhaps relaxing your eyes, taking time off from the computer, and having some painkillers might help. Self help is usually the first step, and if that doesn't work, will give you more of an argument to see a doctor.

Take care

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: please help! multiple sclerosis possibility - October 21st 2015, 03:07 PM

Try seeing what you can do on your own to reduce the symptoms for now and try giving your parents specific information about how these symptoms are impacting your life.
Seeing a doctor is the only way you will get a diagnosis and one that will be what you are actually going through. This may or may not be MS but regardless of what it is, figuring that out and getting treatment will be crucial for things improving.
Hope this helps.
Take care and keep us updated.

Closed Thread