TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
matthew2909 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Teens who stutter - December 5th 2016, 08:08 PM

Hi I'm Matthew I'm 19 yrs old and i live in the UK I currently suffer from Dyslexia,Dyspraxia,and a stutter i don't know anyone that stutters that is around my age or is my age and I'm just wondering is anyone on here that either has dyslexia or dyspraxia or stutters that i can talk to cause i just feel like I'm the only one.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Teens who stutter - December 6th 2016, 12:15 AM

Hi,
Welcome to TeenHelp!
I do not know if anyone on the site has these challenges however I am sure there could be someone since there are quite a few people on TeenHelp every day.
It may help to find support groups online or groups at your school/college/university for students with learning disabilities or other disabilities. I suggest this because even if someone has a different disability than you do, that does not mean they do not understand what it is like to have difficulties socially, with classes Etc. If that type of peer support is what you are looking for, that is what I would try to find if I were in your situation.
Feel free to PM me if you want someone to talk to.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Teens who stutter - December 6th 2016, 12:30 AM

Hello Matthew,

I agree with what Christina had said about the shared experience of having a disability as well as finding support groups and support at school. I also want to mention, this might sound a bit strange, but to join a self-advocacy group for people with developmental disabilities.

I actually had just gone to an event only yesterday about this. It was the first annual Self-Advocacy meeting with a very interesting panel discussion and breakout group towards the end. Self-advocacy groups have had many milestones over the years and are doing a lot of good work out there. So if you're interested to learn more, I will be glad to share some information.
I also want to say that, the reason I went to that meeting was that, while I do not have a diagnosed developmental disability, I have been one of those people who everyone sensed something was different about me but no one really could pinpoint what it was. To this day, it is still unclear and ambiguous. Just yesterday I got into an argument with my sister because of my lisp. One sister said she cant tell i have one. The other sister said she hears my lisp and it's a really heavy lisp. Then they both said, lisps is not a disorder. And I got upset because to me, I was told it was by a professional, treated as if something was wrong, and my reality all these years was a struggle with my speech. And the conversation I had with them, resulted in me feeling worse and invalidated.
I eventually got a diagnosis of Sensory Processing Disorder, which, getting diagnosed as an adult isn't really recognized as of now but that's starting to change slowly.
I also have speech impediments and learning difficulties and traumas that complicated the matters. I was put into a special class for reading and writing. And I was put into speech therapy as well. And although I haven't been formally diagnosed, it is likely i can relate to some of your experiences. And if not, I am willing to listen.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Egyptstorm Offline
DopeDORK (BatEgypt @ night)
Not a n00b

Name: Egypt aka DopeDORK
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow... oh, wait, this is Gotham

Re: Teens who stutter - December 6th 2016, 02:30 PM

Hey. I stutter too when my nerves get really bad. It makes it really hard to read during class. You should never feel alone especially on teen help. I hope this helps a little bit

For the "fat" kids, the geeks, and the "ugly" ones. For the kids with braces or wear taped-together glasses, there is but one hero..... I. Am. That. Hero.
~BatEgypt~

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: Teens who stutter - December 6th 2016, 10:13 PM

I stutter. When I was younger I had a speech Therapist.

Till this day I still stutter. I find if my mind is too fast I stutter and say words together which sounds like a blob of "what?" or I saw the same word a few times before completing my sentence.

Adults stutter. Kids stutter. Elderly stutter.

Don't feel alone because it is common. Sometimes people stutter but they've found ways to help them to not stutter like myself. For me I take my time, I process what I want to say and talk slowly. Feeling confident while talking you are less likely to stutter as much. Having your back straight and posture good, this helps as well. I find if I don't know a subject to well I stutter. If I know a topic I am less likely to stutter.

So doing those things will really help you:

- Good posture
- Talking slower
- Having your shoulder up and back
- Thinking and processing what you want to say before you talk
- Knowing about a subject well helps
- Taking a breath or a few while talking helps (pauses)

Those things have helped me and I continue to use them. I hope this was helpful.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#6 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: Teens who stutter - December 8th 2016, 10:34 AM

Hey mate,
I stutter when I'm stressed. When my mind is overloaded with information/emotion, I tend to stutter. Not a lot, to be honest, but I do stutter a few syllables. What works for me is taking a second, taking a deep breath, getting my thoughts in order and then speaking.
Hope that helps you.
PM me if you'd like to talk

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
abbygarcia673 Offline
5SOS fam
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: baby joker

Re: Teens who stutter - December 13th 2016, 01:13 AM

thanks for the tip i just might try that

H.O.P.E
Hold On, Pain Ends

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Teens who stutter - December 18th 2016, 10:25 PM

Hi

Personally I do not struggle with any of these however I have worked with people who have and know friends who have. In fact I used to go to a b-eat support group with a young man (21 maybe) who had a really bad stutter and was so anxious about talking in the group but I really looked up to him and was inspired by him.

Don't feel alone. Just because you don't know anyone with these issues does not mean no one else out there struggles with the same things. Have you tried looking into support groups etc?

I know I haven't been much of a help, but if you ever need to talk, I am always a message away.

Hope and wishes,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread