TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Taylor44200 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I struggle with chronic pain - May 3rd 2017, 01:54 AM

So for about two years now I have had sever and chronic back and neck pain. It never goes away, even with prescription pills. It has just gotten worse, to the point where I can't even sleep without medication and the pain has spread all over my body. Rainy days are the worst. The worst part is I haven't even gotten a diagnoses yet. I have seen an orthopedic doctor and a rheumatologist and neither could diagnose me. My rheumatologist suspected it as fibromyalgia because I have pain in all the trigger points, or he said it could be rheumatoid arthritis. I have had blood work done that indicates I have an autoimmune disease, but xrays and mris all came back fine. I just wanted to know if anyone else is going throw something similar? It's rare to be in this much pain at my age but it would help knowing I'm not alone. It's stressful not having a diagnoses because I feel like no one takes my condition seriously://

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Oregano Offline
it's a herb

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Delwen

Re: I struggle with chronic pain - May 3rd 2017, 06:05 AM

Hey there! Firstly I want to say welcome to the site Secondly, I want to say that I myself have Chronic pain too as well as Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and all three together is a major pain. I was only recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia probably about three years ago and it was diagnosed by a rheumatologist. He asked questions like what triggers mine, how long it went for and a bunch of others which I cannot remember right now bc brain fog Have you been to a different doctor maybe the different doctor can actually give you answers?

There are some of us on this site do have Fibromyalgia. I just want to reach out through the screen and give you a giant soft hug because I know how tiring it is

If you ever want to talk or vent or whatever, send me a message anytime

breathe. it's just a bad day, not a bad life.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: I struggle with chronic pain - May 6th 2017, 08:38 AM

I suggest read chapter 1 of the book The Brain's Way of Healing: Remarkable Discoveries and Recoveries from the Frontiers of Neuroplasticity (Jan 26, 2016) by Norman Doidge, M.D., which discusses new ways of curing chronic pain. I saw him give a lecture at a university while he was on tour promoting his new book a year ago.

More recently a professor from the university gave a talk at our local library on how to cure chronic pain. If I find the notes I'll post them here. He said he had chronic pain issues and he was able to actually cure them.

One difference though is these chronic pain issues were caused by injuries, whereas you did not mention any injury preceding the chronic pain. However, it may not matter. If there's nothing wrong with your body, then that's good, the pain is all in your brain, and the brain can be rewired, the pain can be unwired, though admittedly it takes a lot of effort, it can be worth the effort.

Basically either there's something wrong with your body and the doctor can fix that, or, there's nothing wrong with your body, other than it hurts like hell, but there's actually nothing wrong with your body, so the pain actually isn't coming from your body, it's actually coming from the map of your body that's in your brain. It's the map of our body in our brain that we perceive as reality. That's why if a patient loses a limb they have "phantom limb" syndrome where they perceive the limb to still be there even though it's not, because the body map in their brain still has a limb. It's also works the other way, if the patient has a stroke witch damages part of their body map, say it damages the limb part of their body map in their brain, they may no longer recognize their physical limb as belonging to them.

The book by Norman Doidge is an excellent place to start.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Taylor44200 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I struggle with chronic pain - May 7th 2017, 02:57 AM

Thank you for all the support! It's nice knowing someone else understands what I'm going through, although I'm really sorry you suffer from fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome I think I may have fibromyalgia too because I have every symptom, including fibro fog (which can be extremely frustrating). My doctor just won't diagnose me until everything is ruled out:/ I tested positive for the rheumatoid factor and Ana test, but all further testing was negative. I was wondering what you do to treat your fibromyalgia and fatigue? Thanks for the help and support!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: I struggle with chronic pain - May 8th 2017, 04:59 AM

Hey,

I also have fibromyalgia and struggle a lot with the fatigue as well. I am not formally treated for it, but I instead do a lot of self-help things to help manage it.

Treating the pain around fibromyalgia is kind of a trial and error process, as everyone finds different things soothing. For instance, some people with fibro like warmth, while others prefer for it to be cooler. I think it would help for you to experiment with different things to see what makes you feel best.

You could try different body washes or bath soaks. Many of them have menthol or other properties that help soothe pain for a while. If you're interested, I can list the different brands I use. There are body wraps which can be microwaved or cooled in the freezer, and other wraps are disposable.

If you find you like the heat, you can invest in a heated blanket or a heated throw. Those may be a little bit costly but they are well worth the investment if they help you. The best time to buy them is in the beginning of Spring when consumers no longer want them.

You can also try compression sleeves. Some people have fibromyalgia pain that varies, so finding products can be difficult. But there are compression items such as shirts, gloves, or socks made for people with arthritis.

Do you like swimming? A gym membership or a community pool may be worth looking into. Some people with joint problems struggle with regular exercise but swimming is helpful. Other light exercises like walking, jogging, or yoga could help too.

TeenHelp has an article on Fibromyalgia that was posted recently if you'd like to check it out.

You said you don't know if you do have fibromyalgia, but regardless, do you know if there is a pattern with your pain? When did it begin? Fibromyalgia and other similar struggles don't always have a known cause. I did, after a few years, figure out what I believe caused mine and that in itself has been helpful.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

Closed Thread