TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives    Valentine's Resource

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I'm only human...

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Court

SSI? - January 27th 2019, 10:47 PM

So I applied for SSI benefits in my state of Ohio. I am waiting patiently for the results. I applied this past Friday. I'm not sure I'll get it the first time around because I've heard of others not getting it the first time, but I've been diagnosed with four or five mental health issues and three physical issues. I'm thinking that that will be in my favor, but then again, getting SSI approval is difficult, right? I have worked before, but no longer than 6 months per job, and I've had about 10 jobs or so, I just cannot hold a job because of my attendance history, and I am having a real, real hard time finding another one because of this. Has anyone here applied for SSI? What was the result? Did you have to appeal? How long did it take you to figure out if you got it or not after your initial application? If you're not comfortable posting you can PM me, because I am really curious and am hoping to find others that are either in the application process or are already on SSI.

I can do it
I'll get through it
But Iím only human
And I bleed when I fall down
Iím only human
And I crash and I break down
Your words in my head, knives in my heart
You build me up and then I fall apart
'Cause Iím only human, yeah

"Human" by Christina Perri

HelpLINK Mentor / Community Mentor
Forum Moderator / Community Moderator / Chat Moderator

Just breathe and believe.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Special Agent Offline
Live Help Mentor

Average Joe

Name: Junior

Re: SSI? - January 28th 2019, 12:43 AM

Hi Court-

I'm sorry that you are having such a hard time right now. I have applied for SSI in the past and it is a long and difficult process... It is true that many people get denied the first time around and often have to go through the appeals process, hire an attorney or even apply all over again. It took me 3-5 months to get the approval letter from them but if you get approved you are still paid out for the months that you were waiting so if you waited 3 months you will get paid for those months retroactively...

I was approved the first time I applied. I didn't have to go through the appeals process. I hope this helped you understand the process a little better. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me!

-Jr.

"your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."

-Nido Qubein

Live Help Mentor | HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
  Send a message via AIM to Special Agent Send a message via Skype™ to Special Agent 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance.

I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: SSI? - January 29th 2019, 09:04 PM

Hello Court,

I am so sorry that you are having a hard time with this and I hope that you will be okay soon. A lot of times people can get denied for disability because they don't have enough medical information and that case is thrown out. Some people have to keep trying and it does take a while for them to get it and some people may not be able to get it and it is not a good feeling when you are not able to get this and then they are making you wait for a while to see if you are going to get it.

You asked about working and asking for it, some of them may not like you are working and asking for it. The reason why is they will ask if you can work why do you need disability, but we have to have money to pay for bills, groceries and other supplies. Some of the people like to play games and they do not always care and some of them just look at us as a number they are trying to get through. They should look at us differently because we are all different. You will find some of them who do care about us and want to help us out with this and do the best that they can. Would you be able to talk to your caseworker and ask them about this and they should be able to let you know and see if they would be able to help you out. Or would you be able to find a different caseworker to help you out with this. If you can try again and talk to them, see what you can do to get approved. I wish you all the best with this and hope that everything works out soon.

HelpLINK Mentor and Forum Moderator. PM/VM

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
itís about learning to Dance in the Rain!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: SSI? - February 1st 2019, 02:20 AM

Hey there,

I used to be on SSI. I applied years ago so I don't remember everything but I can tell you the basics. It took about 8 months for me to get approved. I initially got denied and a week or two after my denial (I wasn't going to fight it) someone called and said I shouldn't have been denied and they appealed it for me. It only took a couple of months for the appeal to go through. However, I don't think that's always standard with appeals because I know people who have had to appeal the decision a few separate times and were taking it to court.

The stories are going to vary but I have been told by a few different doctors and a few people at SSA that getting approved for mental health related disability is really hard. I believe it's because there's this whole mindset that it's ONLY mental illness and people should know how to cope. I think the fact that you have physical illnesses might help to a certain extent.

Have you considered talking to any of your mental health practitioners about it? They might be able to provide you with more insight and help you figure out if they think you might qualify. When I applied I had a doctor kind of force me because he basically said I wasn't going to be able to work and it would be better to have some income and some independence. He said I should have no trouble getting approved. I technically didn't since most people aren't called and told their denial was wrong. If you talk to your mental health team and your doctors they might be able to let you know what their opinion is on your applying etc. Also, making them aware that you are/have applied might help as well.

Essentially, getting approved for SSI might be an uphill battle but if you get approved it can be nice to have the money. It does help with independence to a certain extent and when you are approved for SSI/SSA you tend to be able to qualify for supportive housing at a lower amount since the money you get from SSI is not a ton.

The other thing to remember (SSA should tell you this) is there are two programs. There is SSI which is for people who do not have enough work credits (people who have never worked or haven't worked a ton in their lives) and SSDI. SSDI is for people who have acquired a certain amount of work credits. People who qualify for SSI don't qualify for SSDI and so when you apply you might get a denial letter pertaining to SSDI but that denial letter will not pertain towards SSI. For SSI you'd still have to go through the process of seeing a doctor that Social Security wants you to etc. A lot of people get confused or worried when/if they get a denial for SSDI. Social Security is supposed to tell you but when you go to apply they bombard you with information that it's easy to forget or not understand what they are telling you.

If you have any questions feel free to message me. I'll do what I can to try and help.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|