TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Disabilities (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f122-disabilities/)
-   -   Views to Disability and political correctness (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f122-disabilities/t21601-views-disability-political-correctness/)

WobblyTM August 1st 2009 01:47 AM

Views to Disability and political correctness

Okay.. first things first. I'm blind. Registered blind anyway... but i have limited sight in my right eye.. none at all in my left... and the stuff i have in my right could go at any time! Yay.. that's the fun stuff over with!

I've grown up with this all my life.. i was born with it, and i learned to deal with it at a very young age. I sail, i ski, i argue.. infact.. i do anything i want except drive (and that's the thing that most gets on my nerves but lets not get into that just now!) yet people still see me as "the blind" sometimes.. this frustraits me.

I've given numerous speaches for the political parties on disabled rights for visually impaired people to try and change peoples perceptions. Soemtimes it works.. sometimes it doesnt. I've been brought up with a "can do" attitude, which some people do not have.

Do you think that there are too many disabled people going arond these days who feel sorry for themselves? Do you feel sorry for yourselves from time to time? i know i do.. very seldolmly.. i get depressed that i cant have my freedom as i cant drive!

Also.. do you think PC has gone too far when it comes to disabilities?? i do! Example:

I was shopping with my friends and one of them said "oh look over there!" me being a smart a*se i said "i cant.. i'm a blindy b***rd!" they laughed.. but this totally random woman came up and said "excuse me young man.. i dont think it's right to call yourself that.. the correct term is visually impaired person..".. anyway.. i told her where to stick it! That's PC gone mad!

Personally i dont see myself as disaibled... if anyone has a problem.. then it's the people who dont like me!!

So.. do you see your self as disabled?? Do you think PC has went mad?? do you think that too many disabled people are feeling sorry for themselves????

Oh and do you think blind people should be allowed their own roads :D haha

cheers

WobblyTM

TigerTank77 August 1st 2009 03:33 AM

Re: Views to Disability and political correctness

First off welcome to the website man.

Second, I do think PC has gone way over the top. We as a culture have become so afraid of maybe offending someone just a little bit, that we're reaching the point where we have forgotten to take a joke and accept certain things as not being serious.

thebigmole August 1st 2009 03:54 PM

Re: Views to Disability and political correctness

I agree I think that PC has gone way to far. I also would have told off that woman if I was you as well, I mean where does someone get off telling a blind person how to talk about their own blindness. I do think that at time PC terms might make a disabled person feel worse, I mean obviously you don't call your self visually impaired in normal conversation