TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
HollyLouise Offline
The girl with too many words
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Holly

I can't deal with it - August 11th 2009, 07:11 PM

I've been blind since birth, and usually people who have never been able to se don't mind it as much because it's what they've always known. It really gets me down and I struggle to deal with the fact that i will never see, even though i've always known it. I can't tell my parents because it would make them feel awful. They both carry the faulty gene that caused my disability. My sister can see, however she may be a carrier, or not have the gene at all. Nobody in my family understands what it's like for me because on the outside i'm really confident and talkative when i'm crumbling inside. I hate knowing i'll always be like this. I know if I could see i'd be so much more. I have one of the highest averages in class, i'm heading for really high grades, i'm good at sport and i'm generally really capable. Being blind really hurts me because it stops me doing things like driving and i'd love to do that when i'm old enough. It also means I have to choose really carefully where I live when i'm older because I have to make sure it's accessible for learning my way around the area. It's so frustrating and gets me down so much. I can't deal with being fifteen and knowing I will never be able to be truly who I want to be. I just don't know what to do, I feel like there's no escape and i'm just falling further in to hating myself.
  Send a message via MSN to HollyLouise  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
lilangel! Offline
Speeding through life
Average Joe

Name: Hannah

Re: I can't deal with it - August 11th 2009, 07:55 PM

Hi,
i understand that you are very upset about the fact that you will never be able to see. however, this will not stop you from living a full life. you can still live alone and be completly independant.
i think you should talk to your parents about how upset you are about this, it is nearly always better to get your feelings out in the open and to not bottle things up. they will probably be more upset if your sad and not telling them then if you tell them.
it is perfectly normal to hate yourslf when you have a life changing disability, i know thats how i felt when i first knew i was disabled. you may not be able to live the life of your dreams, but how many people actually have dream lives? you can still have a brilliant life and be blind. maybe you cant play baseball or something, but you can still do a lot of sports.
you will still live a good life even though you are disabled. there many different things you can do.
If the world doesnt adapt to you, you adapt to it.
hope ive helped
PM me if i can help or if you ever want a chat.
Hannah X

"He who does not weep, does not see" - Les Miserables.

keep reaching and living your lives. you are who you are.

PM me whenever and ill do my best to help!

Im here if you ever need anyone to talk to or to have someone to listen to you

(#3 (permalink)) Old
*Faith* Offline
They'll never know.
I've been here a while

Name: Faith

Re: I can't deal with it - August 11th 2009, 10:26 PM

Hey, like Hannah said there is nothing to stop you from having a good life. Dealing with a disability makes you a stronger person than most because you're having to deal with a lot more than others. You should try and confide in your parents because it can be the only way to get help, they won't know what you're feeling unless you do. They really do want to help you and make sure you're happy and the only way to start that process is communication. If it helps I may never be able to drive either. It kills that all my friends are learning to drive right now and I can't.

You were the angel of my life, taught me to be free
Now I'm a stranger in your eyes.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: I can't deal with it - August 15th 2009, 03:22 PM

I have been blind sense birth too. I think you should really talk to your parents about this, as the previous posters siad, they need to know how you feel in order to help you. I don't mind being blind, and you shouldn't either, I accept the fact that I won't ever be able to drive because I know there are other ways for me to get places, like busses, walking or other people bringing me. Also I know that I can't change my disability and that I just have to learn ways to do things differently and there is someone else in the world that is blind too, that's what makes me not hate myself or my disability, knowing that there are other people going through what I'm going through.

I hope this was helpful and if you need anything, just pm me or vm me.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Last edited by Philomath; August 15th 2009 at 03:28 PM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
chook14 Offline
♪ itchin' on a photograph ♫
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ella

Re: I can't deal with it - August 16th 2009, 01:39 AM

Hey,
I think talking to your parents is definitely a good idea. I know you're worried about making them upset, but just remember that first and foremost, they want you to be happy. I think in this situation, you need to put yourself first, and do what you need to do to conquer the hurt you're feeling. You're parents will want to help you, and i think that telling them is definitely the first step. There are a lot of support groups out there, where you could get together with other people who are blind, and talk to them about how they cope. You may really benefit for hearing other peoples stories, and perhaps asking questions about they managed to get past these feelings. If you tell your parents, i'm sure they'd be happy to talk to your doctor, and find one of these support groups for you to attend, if you wanted to.
I know it must be hard for you at the moment, but just remember that things can only go up from here. Try your best to stay optimistic. There are people here to support you!
Take care

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: I can't deal with it - August 16th 2009, 02:38 AM

I am half blind with poor sight in my 'good' eye ... but I can't begin to imagine how it must feel being completely blind. I often find my sight difficult to deal with, not being able to drive and being bullied etc.
The one thing I keep in mind, which may help you is that they are always developing new treatments / cures for blindness. There have been advances recently, allowing a blind man to see colour and form. And it can only go further
I hope you can be optimistic. And if you need a chat feel free to pm/vm me

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

Closed Thread