TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
JonahIzPotato Offline
I am... ME.
Average Joe

Name: Jonah

Autism... maybe - February 25th 2010, 01:37 PM

So I know self-diagnosis is a bad thing, or at least not the best, but I've had a hunch for a really long time that I may have some sort of autism. I've been reading up on Aspergers syndrome and on one site I fit all but one of the symptoms and on the other ones I fit the ones it said I would have to if I was. Knowing I had something would make my life so much easier. I want to bring it up to my parents, but they'll probably say like... i don't know, I just don't know how to bring it up with them. Here's some things I've noticed about myself that are autism-like

rocking/hand flapping/tapping leg contanstly
cant make eye contact
trouble making friends
intense interest in specific subject
very interested in the mechanics or how things work
people think i'm being rude when i had no intention of being that way
often interpret people's emotions in the wrong way/have trouble interprating them
very good at picking out details
Social situations are confusing/freak me out

any ideas of what to do or whatever? I'm really believing this. What do I do? How can I talk to my parents?

My name is Jonah and I don't post things very often

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Autism... maybe - February 25th 2010, 07:38 PM

Well, maybe find out more about your childhood too. Like, in Autism, you don't start talking until you're about 4, really. But Aspergers, children develop at a normal rate. Also, are there any particular subjects you could be considered genius at? And how are your emotions?

These are things you may want to think about. And perhaps just talk to your doctor. I mean, Aspergers could've possibly gone longer undiagnosed, whereas Autism is caught around early childhood.

I'm not an expert, but I know my older brother didn't start talking until he was 4, and the doctors told my mom they were pretty sure he had Autism, but he had to go to a special doctor for such. My mom didn't take him, in fear of him being alienated for such, though. So, as he went on in school, he had the arm flapping, weird fascination with toilets, socially awkward, things like that. He had a real problem concentrating, so he was put in a smaller classroom in elementary school, but had the classes he was really good at (like Math, and pretty much being a walking calculator!) in a "normal" setting.
As he went into high school, he was in some normal classes, but also had some credit exemptions, such as helping out in the Special Needs class instead of taking things like French. He had more flexibility in his schedules and such because of the way he is, but basically, he got through school fine. He was always seen as the comedic type, but he also had a couple instances of being used by people for being overly trusting. He also wasn't able to lie, so we found out when stuff went wrong. In fact, I almost got in a fight with a girl who had used him. But she ran away from the school grounds knowing I was out to get her.
Now, he works. He holds down his job, owns 2 cars. One his everyday car, the other a weekend car. He's always wanted a Mercedes, and he got a 90's one pretty cheap. He sometimes gets invited to parties by old elementary/high school friends, sometimes hangs out with friends and co-workers, and lives relatively normal. He still has his quirks, and hes still socially, erm, different, but he's high-functioning enough that he's pretty successful.

So, what I'm saying is... It doesn't seem likely, but if you're showing symptoms, there could be a slight chance. My advice? Don't worry too much about it unless you start showing more symptoms, and they start interfering with your life.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
JonahIzPotato Offline
I am... ME.
Average Joe

Re: Autism... maybe - February 26th 2010, 12:51 AM

I'm not saying full blown autism. I'm saying aspergers.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Autism... maybe - February 26th 2010, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q2Q2 View Post
I'm not saying full blown autism. I'm saying aspergers.
I'm aware, and I tried my best to cover both spectrums. If you fear you may have Aspergers, the only way you can find out is by talking to a professional. Perhaps present it to your parents without being specific? i.e. saying you feel you're educationally struggling, and that it may be a further cause?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
ROYDEN Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Autism... maybe - February 26th 2010, 02:43 PM

I think i got autism. do i have autism if i always get in trouble when i dont wnat ot ge trin tourlbe? i get rouble for doing nothng/

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Autism... maybe - February 26th 2010, 03:33 PM

Hey Liza,

The first thing I am going to say is that we are not medical professionals. I would strongly recommend you see your doctor, is it the only way to get a diagnosis.

You will need to speak to your parents, tell them about your symptoms and ask for their advice and find out about your childhood. As Julz has said, with Aspergers children develop at a normal rate whereas with Autism it will be slower. Aspergers is generally diagnosed between the ages of four and eleven, whereas Autism is usually noticed within the first two years of life. It is unlikely that Autism would remain undiagnosed for this long, Aspergers however possibly could go undiagnosed for longer.

Aspergers disorder has symptoms such as; impairments with social interaction, disliking change, unable to recognise subtle differences in speech or actions, avoiding eye contact or staring, being preoccupied in knowledge of one of few specific interests, heightened sensitivity and many more. However there is not usually any delays in language development, or any other important areas of functioning. Autism generally has all of these symptoms and causes delays in language development, many people with Autism will never speak.

Feel free to message me if you need anything.
Marie.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
JonahIzPotato Offline
I am... ME.
Average Joe

Re: Autism... maybe - February 26th 2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rie View Post
Hey Liza,

The first thing I am going to say is that we are not medical professionals. I would strongly recommend you see your doctor, is it the only way to get a diagnosis.

You will need to speak to your parents, tell them about your symptoms and ask for their advice and find out about your childhood. As Julz has said, with Aspergers children develop at a normal rate whereas with Autism it will be slower. Aspergers is generally diagnosed between the ages of four and eleven, whereas Autism is usually noticed within the first two years of life. It is unlikely that Autism would remain undiagnosed for this long, Aspergers however possibly could go undiagnosed for longer.

Aspergers disorder has symptoms such as; impairments with social interaction, disliking change, unable to recognise subtle differences in speech or actions, avoiding eye contact or staring, being preoccupied in knowledge of one of few specific interests, heightened sensitivity and many more. However there is not usually any delays in language development, or any other important areas of functioning. Autism generally has all of these symptoms and causes delays in language development, many people with Autism will never speak.

Feel free to message me if you need anything.
Marie.
I know you're not medical people. this is sort of mental though. BTW, I fit every one of those symptoms, plus more that I know are common with autism/aspergers

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Halcyon Offline
Staff On Leave

I can't get enough

Name: Haley

Re: Autism... maybe - March 4th 2010, 09:17 PM

Dear Liza,

I would suggest that your find some information on the Internet to show your parents - let them read what you have found, and explain how you're feeling. I wasn't diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome until later on in life. The symptoms can go unnoticed to those who don't know about it. My family just thought that my problems were something I would just grow out of. I understand how you feel, that knowing would make life so much easier, and I hope that it will be easier for you, once you know for sure.

You could try this test: http://www.piepalace.ca/blog/asperger-test-aq-test/ But, remember, you will need to speak to a doctor, who will probably refer you to someone who can test you properly for Asperger's.

Take care of yourself.
Halcyon

Closed Thread