TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
astrozombie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Taylor

Dating someone with a disablity? - March 28th 2010, 09:05 PM

Hey everyone. this is my first post.. so woo.

I've been dating my boyfriend, Josh, for a little over two weeks. (And yes, it's one of those long-distance things and he's not a creeper so I don't want to hear that.)
Anywhoo. When we first met, Josh told me he had Spina Bifida. I had remembered hearing about it in my Anatomy class, but I didn't really think anymore of it. It didn't bother me. I finally got curious so I did some more research about it and asked him a few questions. He's in wheelchair, and pretty much has no mobility.

Like I said, it doesn't bother me. I was just curious if there was anyone on here who has dated/is dating someone with a disability and how you handled it.

[[Taylor Michelle. Listen to me. I love you. With all my heart. Everything that I am. I care about you more than I thought possible.]]
<3 I love him.
  Send a message via AIM to astrozombie Send a message via MSN to astrozombie Send a message via Yahoo to astrozombie Send a message via Skype™ to astrozombie 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DanielR Offline
Survived the Apocalypse of '57
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Daniel

Re: Dating someone with a disablity? - March 28th 2010, 11:12 PM

I don't know what its like to date a person with a disability, but if I were you... I'd look at them as any other person. Don't treat them any different... they are still a person!

There is nothing different about their hearts/feelings... which is what really matters, right?

I don't like to whizz in people's pockets, so I will always give you truth. I'm opinionated, so take what I say with a cup of salt.

Send a message via MSN to DanielR  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Pour the Teapot Offline
Train whistles and cicadas
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Chloe

Re: Dating someone with a disablity? - March 28th 2010, 11:14 PM

never dated anyone with a disability, then again, never dated. but i really wouldn't care as long as i was dating them because i actually liked them, and it wasn't a pity date.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Dating someone with a disablity? - March 29th 2010, 09:26 PM

I'm going to move this thread to the "Disabilities" forum, as you may receive more responses there. =)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Dating someone with a disablity? - March 29th 2010, 09:37 PM

I've never dated anyone with a disability, but I would as long as we could still have intellectual conversations coz I love those convos :P but no, I look at disabled people just the same as anyone else because my little brother goes to a special needs school so I know a lot of disabled people through that.
x

(#6 (permalink)) Old
BabyIndia Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: India

Re: Dating someone with a disablity? - March 29th 2010, 09:41 PM

My freind Craig has Spina Bifida (SB)

Craig is my ex boyfriend, he uses crutches most of the time but finds it easier to use a wheel chair. Thing is it's not a fact of how you deal with it, you kinda just do, if you love them you see past the disabilty that, that person has. We dated for ages but decided to just be freinds as we lived ages away from each other. We are now stronger freinds than we were lol.

Treat he/she as a "normal" person as much as you can, some times you can't on certain disabilaties, but as long as he/she doesnt think your dating them because you feel sorry for them then all will be good.

You can pm if you like if you ever want to talk about it

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Dating someone with a disablity? - March 29th 2010, 10:12 PM

I honestly don't think I could date someone with a disability unless I'd been with them before and loved them. It would be hard to keep up, and If you don't love someone, It's not really worth it. There are many other woman/men out there that would love that person, maybe even another disabled person. I mean, If a guy didn't have an arm or leg, eye... I really wouldn't care. But if they couldn't move? That's different for me.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
BabyIndia Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: India

Re: Dating someone with a disablity? - April 3rd 2010, 03:21 AM

People with Spina Bifida can move pretty indepently with a wheel chair or crutches

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Spellbound Offline
LGRW
I can't get enough

Re: Dating someone with a disablity? - April 3rd 2010, 07:30 AM

I haven't dated someone with a disability myself but if I was and I cared about them I wouldn't see them as any different. You seem like a lovely person if you're with someone with a disability and it doesn't bother you at all.

Send a message via MSN to Spellbound  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...
I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: Dating someone with a disablity? - April 3rd 2010, 11:17 AM

I can't relate to this completely, but I was going out with this guy who had an accident just after we started dating and badly broke his leg. He had pretty poor mobility even with the crutches but it didn't really bother me. Sure there are times when you do have to treat them slightly differently, it might effect the places you go together slightly and you may have to give them help in areas that you might not someone else, be that sitting down on a chair as opposed to a wheel chair or something but if you really care for a person then it's not a big deal.
It doesn't stop you from going to so many places. So as long as you can handle having to help him out now and again then you guys should be fine. I'm sure he'd want to be as independent as possible anyway!

(#11 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Dating someone with a disablity? - April 3rd 2010, 04:06 PM

I've never really dated someone with a disability but I know that if I did, it wouldn't make a difference for how I felt about them, because disability or not, its whats on the inside that matters.

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

Closed Thread