TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AceJace12 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jacey Johnson

Being Left behind - August 1st 2010, 04:18 AM

Hey, so this is my first post on this thing. And i'm just gonna kinda ramble about my own struggles with being visually impaired.

It's been really rough lately because all of my friend are getting their drivers licenses and due to my vision i can't drive...and i'm really independent and having to depend on people to get places is really frustrating for me. It makes me feel like a huge burden on people.. and i absolutely hate it. and it's really hard keeping all of the struggles inside...but i've just stopped telling people about it because none of my friends understand... no one really does.. and i try really hard to not let my vision get to me.. and the fact that i have to try five hundred times harder than most people.. but i also know that i'm really blessed.. and i know God made me the way i am for a reason.. but sometimes ya just gotta vent and get it out.. so that's kinda what i'm doing in my little rambling thingy haha... so post if ya have anything to say.. thanks for reading

(#2 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Being Left behind - August 1st 2010, 01:39 PM

I think it's great that you're getting past your disalibity Just remember that you really don't need to be able to drive when there's so many other alternatives. Train, taxi, aeroplane, and loads more. I think you have to try and cut yourself a little slack with the 'burden on people', because if you do, you'll enjoy your life a whole lot more

(#3 (permalink)) Old
AceJace12 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Being Left behind - August 2nd 2010, 11:29 PM

yeah, thanks... i usually am pretty good about stuff.. just sometimes it gets to me

♥Love is everything♥

(#4 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Being Left behind - August 3rd 2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceJace12 View Post
yeah, thanks... i usually am pretty good about stuff.. just sometimes it gets to me
I know how you feel. Just keep your head high

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Being Left behind - August 3rd 2010, 01:51 PM

I have vision problems as well as motor stills issues due to my disability and a seizure history, so I can not drive and want to badly. You are not alone.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lexo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Being Left behind - August 3rd 2010, 10:26 PM

Its great you are getting past it and coping with it well,

All the best to you

(#7 (permalink)) Old
AceJace12 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Being Left behind - August 3rd 2010, 10:42 PM

yeah..it's really hard some times...but i'm lucky enough to have an amazing family and group of friends who would do anything to help me. and if i am ever struggling i just remember the bible verse Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!

♥Love is everything♥

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Being Left behind - August 8th 2010, 04:09 AM

Hey,First, I would like to welcome you to TH! It really is a great place to get help. I know what you are going through, I'm also visually impaired, I'm completely blind and I have the same struggle. I hate hearing that friends are getting there driver's licenses, but i know that I can't let that, my inability to drive, stop me from persuing other ways of getting places, such as buses or taxis. I know it's scary having to try and do things a lot harder than people normally do them, but it's something that'll make you stronger and a better person I think. I know that not being able to drive is hard to cope with, I really wish I could drive, but I know you can get through it and if you ever struggle, lean on your family and friends because they will be glad to help you. I sometimes look at my disability as a good thing, I remind myself again and again when I'm feeling annoyed by it or upset because I can't do something, I was made with this disablity for a reason and it makes me stronger because I am faced with a challenge that most people around me don't even know or imagine, I am always challenged and i remind myself that each challenge makes me who God wants me to be and leads me to becoming a better person. I think disabilities strengthen people if they have enough confidence in themselves. If you ever need anything, you can PM me, or if you just want to chat, you can PM me. Good luck with this.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Being Left behind - August 10th 2010, 03:41 PM

Hey there,

Firstly, it's understandable that it's hard for you, and it's perfectly fine for you to feel the way you do. If you're ever struggling you know just where to find us, and we won't judge you or bring you down.

What vision problems do you have, may I ask? How do you work around them, and how do you normally approach a difficult situation? I must say, you sound like a strong person to go through all of this, and still be independent, but you must understand that turning to others doesn't make you a burden. Have you ever tried showing people? For example, showing them a TV program about vision impairment, or having them wear a blindfold for the day, just to see how they cope with it? While yes, you may find this suggestion amusing, it could really help your friends to understand your frustrations.

I'm glad that you think you're blessed. Remember that you're always welcome to post here, or send me a message.
Take care.

Marie.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
FrozenUnicorn Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Being Left behind - August 11th 2010, 06:00 PM

My former best friend was visually impaired - completely blind. Being close with her, she tried to help me understand how she felt about things like this. I always let her know that although I would never be able to truly understand what she's going through, I was there to support her onehundred percent. She hated talking to me about things when she felt down, but I pushed her because that's what friends are for - support.

Helping her became something natural - it was never a burden. It even feels odd now to say "helping". I feel like that puts a negative damper on the whole thing. I didn't help, I just ...did. It's difficult to explain, but I didn't feel like I was going out of my way to do things, or to guide her. Like I said, it just became something natural.

Once we became close friends, to be honest, I rarely even thought about how she couldn't experience what I was experiencing. Her being blind wasn't something that affected any part of our relationship. It became natural for me to describe things I saw, or offer my arm when we were out, or anything like that.

I think, although perhaps you get to miss something beautiful in the world, you get a really unique perspective on things. And I think people take vision too much for granted. Being friends with a person that shared your disability really brought me down to earth and truly did make me appreciate everything much more, like everybody should.

Sorry that that turned into a ramble. I wish you already could, but I just wanted you to realize that having an impairment does not make you a burden to your friends. I admire you greatly for the strength you have. And even though you can't drive like you're friends, you have the beauty of perspective. I hope you can hold that close. Life is going to give you many incredible opportunities and experiences. Just remember that.

If you ever want to talk, about anything at all, you're more than welcomed to PM me.

<3

x

Closed Thread