TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Coping with Disabilities - August 31st 2010, 04:36 PM

I was hoping this could be a positive thread for those of you who have a disability, or just know someone with one.

I know I need some help coping as my mom has emphysema, fibromyalgia, and my boyfriend is half deaf and will go completely deaf in the next 10 years.

So, feel free to post and get ideas for coping.

I cope with my boyfriend by reminding myself that I will lose hearing at some point too, or at least a little. And as for my mom, I know emphysema won't get worse unless she continues smoking, and for fibro, she is attempting disability.

How do you cope?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Apollo Offline
LiveStrong™
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Apollo

Re: Coping with Disabilities - August 31st 2010, 08:15 PM

Hello. I'm not sure how this will fit in... I just type as I think.

I believe an important thing to know is that you are not alone, and having a disability does not make you any less of a person. There are a lot of different disabilities and many of them are still not very known about. There physical and mental ones, and they often effect the other in various ways.

I believe that we, as a general public, need to be open-minded, accepting, and helpful to everybody, and as I mentioned earlier, just because you are disabled does not mean you are any less of a person. I see people look down upon people with disabilities, and it truly disgusts me. I do not understand why some people are so ignorant, but I think if we all helped our community a little more, people with different challenges will have an easier time.

I know several people with a lot of different disabilities, and I try to be as helpful as I can. They are the most wonderful people I know, and I think if we all could just see past our physical and mental differences, I think the world would be so much better for everybody.

For people without any disabilities: Don't take your healthy body for granted. Because once you have or develop some type of moderate-severe physical or mental problem, you will see how much you had before. And what some people will never have.

Oh, and also, do not be afraid of asking for help if you ever need it. Go to a friend, parent/guardian, teacher, counselor, social worker, or somebody else you are close to.

Always feel free to contact me.
<3 |.YOU ARE LOVED.| <3

.TOMORROW IS A NEW DAY.

You may think the world is better off without you...
The truth:
The world isn't
good enough without you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
:)
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Elizabeth

Re: Coping with Disabilities - September 3rd 2010, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post

I believe that we, as a general public, need to be open-minded, accepting, and helpful to everybody, and as I mentioned earlier, just because you are disabled does not mean you are any less of a person. I see people look down upon people with disabilities, and it truly disgusts me. I do not understand why some people are so ignorant, but I think if we all helped our community a little more, people with different challenges will have an easier time.
I have a disablilty that I don't want mention what it is. It does not cause any physical pain but instead causes emotional pain )': Luckly, I find myself surrounded by people who love me for who I am, accept me in spite of the stupid mistakes I make, and who will go the extra mile to help me cope with my disability. I'm thankful for this And thank you, Apollo, the world truly needs more people like you

Laugh as much as you breathe
and love as long as you live

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Coping with Disabilities - September 16th 2010, 02:19 AM

(sorry this is so long, I just had a lot to say)
Thanks Apollo, your post encourages me to continue coping with my disability.
I find it challenging at times, particularly socially, but I keep telling myself not to be ashamed of my disability, that I should embarace the person it's let me become, I reflect in my mind how without it, I probably wouldn't be as caring as I am or a understanding, those two qualities I have created for myself by learning the true feeling of hurt because of being different and I am thankful for my disability.
Though I hate some of the challenges it brings me and I can't figure out why people are nervous about hanging out with me or act weid around me, I still feel that I am who I am and I deserve to be that person.
I also find a great coping mechanism for my disability to educate people, it makes me feel good when I tell people about my disability and I get rid of some misconceptons about it, just knwing that people have learned more about people like me makes me feel good because I hope that they would take the time to help someone or to be a friend next time they meet a person that is blind or visually impaired.
I was at a summer program this summer for people with visua impairments and we were explained the fact that blindness can be a very debilatating condition and I realized tha I'm not alone, others there have the same struggles with fitting in worrying about if people think they look weird or whether or not they are being constantly watched in public, as well as other issues. It comforted me to know this, to realize this, it's something I've known, but facing it there made me really realize it and it sink in.
I think to encourage other people out there with disabilities, I would tell them to not be ashamed of there disability and to not let them be held down by it, to not let it stop them from what they want to do with there lives or in the future, don't let others stop you, prove people wrong, step out of your comfort zone a bit at a time and you will really realize things you probably didn't notice about yourself and the feeling of that will be satisfying most likely. Also, don't let anyone hold you back, because although you yourself might not be stopping yourself from pursuing things, other people might be trying to do that and if you prove them wrong, they will probably look up to you or be surprised and realize that you ar a strong and great person for your disability. Most of all just be you and keep encouraging yourself.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread