TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
charismatic21 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Abby

sick at seventeen? - September 9th 2010, 04:57 PM

Hi.
I'm turning to the Support Forums because I'm having a problem that I can't say out loud; it's too embarrassing.
But I am aware that I have a problem and I'm worried that it's more serious than it seems.
I have a sister with MS, who was diagnosed at the age of 17. She is now almost 25, and I can proudly say that my family and I have been supportive of her throughout everything--her diagnosis, her relapse, her recovery. We've also done our best to raise awareness in our community. We've dealt with it well.
I turn 17 in a couple of weeks... and as crazy as it sounds, one of my biggest fears is getting MS like my sister did. I heard something about my chances being higher if I have a sibling or a parent with Multiple Sclerosis.
My eyesight has generally always been weak, but has worsened lately. I sometimes have the oddest mood swings even though I'm known as a very optimistic and positive person. I suddenly feel sad for absolutely no reason. Sometimes I cry.
But all of that emotional stuff is fine, I've always been able to control my emotions and get back up on my feet. Life goes on you know? And there are always brighter days, I truly believe that.
I've been losing control of my bladder and bowel movements lately.
At first I assumed I had some kind of infection and that was why my underwear was wet. The first time, first day, I had been wearing black underwear. Anyway so I wore a different color on another day and then realized that I had messed them. And I was so humiliated because I didn't even feel it. My mom's starting to notice since half of my underwear is gone... I always throw them away. But I can't bring myself to tell her because it's SO embarrassing, and what if I do have MS?? How could I do that to my mother, give her another daughter with the same disease...
When my sister had her relapse, she did lose control of her bladder and bowel movements. But it was only throughout her relapse and she was soon back to normal.
Is it really possible for me to get it at the same time my sister got it? Or is it just my paranoia and personal phobias talking?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: sick at seventeen? - September 9th 2010, 05:04 PM

Considering you're having a few symptoms, it could be possible that you have something wrong with you. But it might not be the same as what you're sister has. Speak to your parents about it. They will know what they went through with your sister, and might be able to determine if you're going through the same thing.

But the only way you can really know for sure, is to see a doctor.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: sick at seventeen? - September 10th 2010, 11:06 AM

Hey there!

This could really be anything from irritable bowel syndrome, to multiple sclerosis. I would strongly recommend seeing your doctor as soon as you can, as this seems to be effecting you highly. There's nothing to be embarrassed about or worried about, hopefully your doctor will be able to put your worries at ease!

Don't hesitate to message me.
Marie.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Poetic Loser
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Erin

Re: sick at seventeen? - September 12th 2010, 06:28 PM

You're not alone in thinking that you might catch the disease. I live with that fear everyday as my mom has MS stage 3.
I think it would be best to get checked out. I can't get checked on my own yet as im too young and i know my mom would go mad if i did want to get checked. You have the ability to do it, so don't ignore the symptoms. I'm not saying that you have MS but obviously something's wrong.

Best of luck, and please tell me how things went.
xxx

How come dumb stuff seems so smart while you're doing it?
Good friends get drunk with you. Best friends hold your hair back when you've had a bit too much to drink!
There's no such thing as good girls gone wrong, only bad girls found out.
I've learned...
that maturity has more to do with what types
of experiences you've had and what you've
learned from them and less to do with how
many birthdays you've celebrated.

Send a message via MSN to LastRedAppleStanding  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
darkangeljbm Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jaclyn

Re: sick at seventeen? - September 12th 2010, 07:08 PM

I would go to the doctor and you shouldn't hide it from you mom she won't think it is funny she will do her best to them instead of trying to avoid it becaues it is unpleasant.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: sick at seventeen? - September 20th 2010, 01:42 PM

You might be "seeing symptoms" which aren't quite there as you know what to look for, the brain makes you think that. The only way is to get checked out by a doctor.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
lanegwyn Offline
Not a n00b

Re: sick at seventeen? - September 29th 2010, 07:57 PM

See a doctor. If you're sick, you should know as soon as possible. And, if NOT, it'll be such a relief...

EDIT: I just realized this is from more than a week ago. How are you? Did you find out what the problem was?

Closed Thread