TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
*CatchingStars* Offline
Healing my soul
I've been here a while

Name: Corri

how to cope with being visually imparied - September 27th 2010, 11:03 PM

im visually imparied and it bugs me when my teacher dont understand and sit me in the bak of the room and i tell them im visually impared we have a class rm for the vi students and its a VI program and im like hello i cant c the board and when my friends r like look im like wat and they get mad and i keep say im cant c its so frustrating and my friends r all getting there permits to drive and i wont be how do u cope with this everyday someone points it out oh y ur papers big or wats that ur using a magnifier y i dont look blind except for my lazy eye im blind in my right eye and partilly in my left and its hard

Life is too

Short to spend

It at war with

Yourself.

Iím catching stars in the sky because I am fixing the soul within me. May it be from the heart a girl broke years ago or my soul simply repairing itself as it was shattered on my walk on this earth. May the stardust fill those cracks within my soul making me brand new, but never forgetting who I once was.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
JackOffJill Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Karyn

Re: how to cope with being visually imparied - September 27th 2010, 11:45 PM

I dont know what your going through. I cant imagine it either. But I do know what my boyfriend goes through and he is hearing impaired. In school teachers dont understand or accommodate for him either. He doesnt have many friend because he has a hard time communicating with them. Everyday is a struggle for my boyfriend as well. Its hard for me to have to stand by and feel helpless to help my boyfriend so because of that I wanted to share this with you even though I dont know what you have to deal with. Please just realize how much stronger you are because of this- you have to go through stuff that most people dont and look at all you have accomplished! You really should be proud of yourself!

"Sometimes you have to kind of die inside in order to rise from your own ashes and believe in yourself and love yourself and become a new person." -Gerard Way
  Send a message via AIM to JackOffJill  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
niente_ Offline
Ex band geek, but still proud.
I've been here a while

Name: Niente

Re: how to cope with being visually imparied - October 8th 2010, 09:46 PM

My friend is visually impaired, but he travelled quite a way to get to our school because it had it's own VI department. He got a classroom assistant to help him, and a laptop so he could type in large font.

It depends where you are i think. He even plays saxaphone and has music photocopied to a huge size so he can see the music! Maybe you just need to look for somewhere else that can give you better help.

Sometimes it's better to forget how you feel
and remember what you deserve

S. M ... still in my heart, forever

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: how to cope with being visually imparied - October 9th 2010, 11:20 PM

If you go to a public school; you can probably get an Indiviual Education plan. The teachers must obey them or else they are breaking the law.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: how to cope with being visually imparied - October 10th 2010, 05:08 PM

I've had vision issues since I was born although I'm not legally visually impaired I completely understand what you're going through. It's the most frustrating part abou it for me too. I don't drive either and I hate when people ask why and I explain the whole story and then they give me that look of understanding like now they get it and suddenly it's ok even though it wasn't before. PM me if you ever want to talk. Mostly I just explain myself and I have to understand that the person I'm telling can't understand unless they've seen with my eyes.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#6 (permalink)) Old
:)
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Elizabeth

Re: how to cope with being visually imparied - October 11th 2010, 07:04 AM

although I don't know what it is like being visually impaired, I do know what it is like to be slightly hearing impaired. I've been frustrated because I could never understand why I have to deal with this when no one else has to. All I can do is learn to accept it, but I am still struggling to grasp as to why I have it. And yet, I've managed to experience a lot happiness and accomplishments in my life (: There are people who love me for who I am. What I have learned is to be grateful for what I have and stay strong in spite the challenges my disability brings. My mom says to be strong, because" life is like race where I'm in a wheel chair and everyone else can use their legs". Just be strong and grateful for what you have accomplished in life Everyday I see people living in not so good conditions and I thank God because although my family is not rich, I know I am fortunate in other ways. Live your life and don't let your disability bring you down. I hope this helps Have a great day!

Laugh as much as you breathe
and love as long as you live

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: how to cope with being visually imparied - October 11th 2010, 05:54 PM

Hey Corrina,

I can relate to what you are going through, I myself am completly blind and have been sense birth.
I know it's hard to deal with the kids at school always asking questions and not understanding, maybe you could explain it to them, why you use magnifyers and why your pages are bigger than there's. Just because you are visually impaired, doesn't make you any different than they are and doesn't mean that they have the right to treat you the way they treat you. you are just like them, you just can't see as well as they can, that doesn't matter though, your visual impairment makes you a stronger person in my oppinion because you have to deal with struggles that people don't even know or imagine going through. I know it can be hard to go through school like this, but I know it's possible to get through, it's a long and hard thing to go through, but it will end, I can promise you that, what you are going through right now is only for now.
Also, as for the teacher at your school putting you in the back of the classroom when you can't see the board, that has to be stopped, you should be able to have the same learning experience as the other students and if they can see the board, you should be able to be in a place in the classroom where you can see it.
If the teacher is unwilling to let you sit where you can see, bring it to the school's administration, if the school's administration isn't allowing you to have the services you need and accomidations, then you might have to go an extra step to get what you need, your parents might have to step in at some point. Also you may need to get help from the Board of Education or places such as the Comission for the Blind or American foundation for the Blind, if your in the USA. I really hope things for you aren't to that extent, but that's what my family had to do just to get me in to the public school I'm at and to get me the services I need.
I know what my school does for me is in some classes, they give me the notes so that I don't have to copy them down because of this reason. Maybe you could suggest that to your teachers, that way you have everything that the other students have without having to handle not being allowed to be near the board.
I hope I have been of some help to you and if you ever need anything, you can private message me and I'll be more than glad to help.
Good luck and i hope something gets done to help you,
Remember you aren't alone, you have all of TeenHelp here to support you.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread