TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BUNNIEZ^_^ Offline
Jodie
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jodie

My boyfriend has Aspergers - November 13th 2010, 01:33 PM

Hey,
So I've been with my boyfriend for over a year now, and we have a great relationship. We both love each other very much.

I've known my boyfriend has Aspergers Syndrome since he told me about a month into our relationship, and honestly, if he hadn't told me about it, I never would have guessed. I fell in love with a guy who was kind, funny, quirky and talented. He says it used to be alot worse for him when he was younger, but he's learnt how to cope. The only problems he has are that he has trouble concentrating at school, he isn't the greatest at grammar and if someone pushes him around (I mean, really pushes him around) he'll snap at them. None of this really effects our relationship, he's never done anything to hurt me, and I know he never would. The thing is, there's only two weeks left of the school year, and next year we're going into grade eleven. He's always struggled with schoolwork since he can't concentrate too well, but he's been doing okay, getting C's most of the time. Lately though, he's been lagging alot in his assignments and says he can't do it anymore. I'm really worried about him, he just seems so depressed. He used to self harm aswell, and I'm scared he might start doing it again. I don't know what to say or do that will help him.

Sorry if this is long.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DarkSeph Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Liam

Re: My boyfriend has Aspergers - November 13th 2010, 07:14 PM

A few people with aspergers simply don't like doing things they have no interest in and often can't see the point and find it hard to force themselves. Speaking from personal experience on that. If they enjoy a subject they can devote everything to it, but if they aren't interested it becomes extremely difficult to force their mind to concentrate on it.

A few key problems can be finishing homework and managing deadlines on assignments. If he has problems with homework, maybe helping to remind him, or even setting time aside and doing schoolwork together might help. Helping him organise a set schedule for assignment work and stick to it would keep him on track more and make him feel a lot better about keeping up in school. Depression is usually caused from knowledge that he's falling behind on work and feeling guilty or helpless about it.

Currently inactive...
  Send a message via MSN to DarkSeph  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Re: My boyfriend has Aspergers - November 14th 2010, 02:09 AM

I don't really know much about Aspergers, but I was going to suggest that maybe you guys could meet up and do homework or study together on the weekends... Possibly even make a date out of it... Do it on a specific day each week where you study for a certain amount of time and afterward go out together and do something fun.

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Janelle Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Janelle

Re: My boyfriend has Aspergers - November 26th 2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy.Wife.Student View Post
I don't really know much about Aspergers, but I was going to suggest that maybe you guys could meet up and do homework or study together on the weekends... Possibly even make a date out of it... Do it on a specific day each week where you study for a certain amount of time and afterward go out together and do something fun.
This is great advice! Does he excel in any particular topic? He might be able to "transfer" something from this area into the parts of school that he struggles with. Also, does he get any support from the school at all?

Closed Thread