TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
--.redpanda.-- Offline
Solaris
Average Joe

Name: Calli

Dysgraphia and Compulsive. - March 7th 2011, 08:06 PM

I've known for years that I was different. I couldn't seem to be able to comprehend and put down exactly what was in my mind. I couldn't seem to be able to stop myself from saying something that I would regret later on in my life. It troubled me for a lot of my life. My parents took me off of my ADD medications because they found that I actually had depression and anxiety disorders. I figured that something had been wrong with me. My parents had known that I had dysgraphia, but never did anything for it. My brother, the only one that I know, is the same way. He has ADHD and dysgraphia. His is more intense than mine, but we both have it.

My compulsive disorder has been under control for a while thanks to the anxiety and depression medications that I am taking. They aren't meant for my compulsive disorder, but they do help.

I just hate my dysgraphia and my compulsive behaviors. Somedays I can't seem to get it under control and people look at me like I am weird.

I know that a lot of people have disorders, but I've never really known anyone to have Compulsive Disorder, not OCD, and dysgraphia.

I feel like since the day I fell, I've been suffering from it more and more. I don't know what to do anymore with my compulsion and dysgraphia. I just feel like giving up on school all together. I've failed English because I've not attended classes because I've felt so self-conscious about my dysgraphia. In my school they have a policy of 25% of the class or more fails for the semester.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

"It is better to be feared than loved, if not both."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
L.O.V.E. IS??
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: kelly

Re: Dysgraphia and Compulsive. - March 7th 2011, 09:02 PM

Try talking to a counselour. And ask your english teacher for some extra help. (:

Some things are beautiful because they are un-obtainable <3

'A dream is what you desire if anything and everything is possible.'

(#3 (permalink)) Old
--.redpanda.-- Offline
Solaris
Average Joe

Re: Dysgraphia and Compulsive. - March 7th 2011, 09:16 PM

Thank you for that!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Dysgraphia and Compulsive. - March 8th 2011, 07:59 AM

Your typing is quite good so have you tried to ask the school if you can take notes using a laptop? For tests, you could either have a computer with auditory recognition software, one that has activated spelling and grammar or something like Co Writer 4000. You could in class also have a laptop retrofitted with an auditory recognition software to record the teacher's speech.
If it's motor dysgraphia, I don't know how these tools work but they can assist with hand-writing, pen/pencil grips and any possible arm pain you may experience. I mention the use of the computer because when I was in high-school, there was a girl who was dysgraphic (not sure which type as I wasn't aware of what dysgraphia was at the time) and for all her tests and exams, the school allowed her to sit in a different room with a computer not connected to the Internet or other programs. It only had active spell and grammar check. She may have also had ADHD and her "compulsion" was biting her lips, fingers, fingernails and a relatively disgusting one of constantly eating her snot.

What is the compulsive disorder?

If I were you, I'd find another medication for the ADHD as that would still lead to some difficulties even if you have tools for the dysgraphia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplekc95
Try talking to a counselour. And ask your english teacher for some extra help. (:
Are you aware of what dysgraphia is and what it encompasses? I think not.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
--.redpanda.-- Offline
Solaris
Average Joe

Re: Dysgraphia and Compulsive. - March 8th 2011, 06:09 PM

The thing with my dysgraphia is I've been on this dang computer for so long, practicing my writing on roleplaying sites and other forms of aid in my quest to become a better writer.

I've got horrible handwriting -_-. It often confuses my professors when I write on quizzes and test.

The thing is is that I am in college. I've bee in college for almost a full year. I'm transferring after this semester to a community college so that I can be at home for a year and hopefully get some counseling on the subject.

My compulsion disorder hasn't really been clarified to me. -_- I tend to bit my lips and put my hands to my face. Also, I have my bangs in my faces, so I often jerk my head to get them away.

I also tend to poke people and objects...mainly buttons. -_- They think I am weird, but it is my compulsive nature kicking in.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Dysgraphia and Compulsive. - March 8th 2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaseltheepic View Post
The thing with my dysgraphia is I've been on this dang computer for so long, practicing my writing on roleplaying sites and other forms of aid in my quest to become a better writer.

I've got horrible handwriting -_-. It often confuses my professors when I write on quizzes and test.

The thing is is that I am in college. I've bee in college for almost a full year. I'm transferring after this semester to a community college so that I can be at home for a year and hopefully get some counseling on the subject.
Counseling will depend on the form of dysgraphia you have (motor, spatial or dyslexic). Are there resources on your college campus you could use currently? If you get a doctor to properly diagnose and specify the type of dysgraphia, indicating you may need to use a computer or some other device, your professors at college or community college should recognize that (probably can use it as a disability).
Quote:
My compulsion disorder hasn't really been clarified to me. -_- I tend to bit my lips and put my hands to my face. Also, I have my bangs in my faces, so I often jerk my head to get them away.

I also tend to poke people and objects...mainly buttons. -_- They think I am weird, but it is my compulsive nature kicking in.
Eh... I don't exactly see how any of that is compulsive. You have long hair covering your eyes, anyone who would want to see would want to move them away, either by jerking their head, tying the hair back or simply cutting the hair off. That's not a compulsion.

Putting your hands to your face in what way? Hitting yourself, poking yourself, tugging at your facial skin or something else?

Who is "they"? Any doctor who attained even a high-school diploma won't consider having bangs in your face as being part of a compulsive disorder. If the disorder hasn't been explained to you, don't know the name of it, and it includes things that aren't part of such disorder, I wonder if there even is a compulsive disorder in the first place. Biting your lips could be due to nervousness, somatoform disorder (specifically BDD), maladaptive habit that's not a disorder, OCD, possibly profound mental retardation (which you clearly do not have) or rarer disorders such as CIP and CIPA. You could have a much longer list of possibilities though.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
--.redpanda.-- Offline
Solaris
Average Joe

Re: Dysgraphia and Compulsive. - March 9th 2011, 12:58 PM

I wasn't really given anything.

My analyst wasn't too friendly and she wasn't very clear.

I have the resources via the Disabilities Services Office and I'm in counseling all the time. -_- My depression is worse when I am at college.

I am allowed to use a tape recorder and get notes from the professor, but that is it.

They said that I was only compulsive because of the testing for ADHD/ADD. It said I was compulsive not ADD. -_- So. I'm not entirely sure of it.

I never really thought of myself as compulsive, but then all of my friends told me that they could see it. I was always compulsive. -_- So. I'm not entirely sure of it myself.

I guess I'm blind to my own flaws.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Dysgraphia and Compulsive. - March 10th 2011, 02:30 AM

Quote:
I wasn't really given anything.

My analyst wasn't too friendly and she wasn't very clear.

I have the resources via the Disabilities Services Office and I'm in counseling all the time. -_- My depression is worse when I am at college.

I am allowed to use a tape recorder and get notes from the professor, but that is it.

They said that I was only compulsive because of the testing for ADHD/ADD. It said I was compulsive not ADD. -_- So. I'm not entirely sure of it.

I never really thought of myself as compulsive, but then all of my friends told me that they could see it. I was always compulsive. -_- So. I'm not entirely sure of it myself.

I guess I'm blind to my own flaws.
Friends can be useful but when it comes to saying or even suggesting a possible diagnosis, unless they've had training/education in that area, I wouldn't give too much weight to what they say.

I'm not saying I know as much as doctors do but some of the courses I've taken were taught by practicing clinical doctors who briefly showed us some of the tests. For ADHD, I'm not sure how it'd give a result that you are compulsive. The only way would be if the people who filled out the tests, usually one/both of your parents as well as a teacher or someone else, had to have clearly indicated that. Many of the tests though are just rating along a numerical scale. The fact that they didn't tell you what your compulsion may be doesn't sound right.

You cant get re-assessed for ADHD because the diagnostic criteria specifies it must occur before age 7-8. However, your dysgraphia can be re-assessed because there's usually no age limit. I'm only suggesting this re-assessment so you could perhaps get better suggestions of how to deal with the dysgraphia, know what form of dysgraphia it is and know if there's any compulsive disorder and which one. The supposed compulsive nature could possibly be a result not of a compulsive disorder but of a non-compulsive one, such as a developmental disorder (I'm assuming the dysgraphia was something you inherited, although it doesn't need to be).

(#9 (permalink)) Old
--.redpanda.-- Offline
Solaris
Average Joe

Re: Dysgraphia and Compulsive. - March 10th 2011, 04:40 AM

Thank you so much. I really appreciate all you are saying.

I'll ask my Disability counselor what it said.

Closed Thread