TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Alexx Offline
Average Joe

Name: Alex

Possibly dyslexic? - May 30th 2011, 07:59 PM

I'm 18, and at college next year they said they would look further into whether I have dyslexia or not.

I'm just wondering how schools/colleges ago about this, or if you have dyslexia, what you struggle with?

Actually. Any help, or advice, or your story, would be hugely helpful. Thank you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Re: Possibly dyslexic? - May 30th 2011, 08:12 PM

Hi Alex,

At my college, they test you for dyslexia by making you do a test (I think it's a bit like an exam, but not entirely sure) involving reading, writing etc, and judge whether you have any dyslexia traits.

It's usually characterised by mixing up letters in words, as you probably know. Some dyslexics struggle with reading and others love it regardless. One girl I knew who had dyslexia was fine with reading words, but couldn't use graph paper in maths, because she got muddled up with all the lines. There are many different ways of identifying dyslexia, so the best thing to do is see if your college will run all the tests.

I don't think I have dyslexia, but my brother has it and those are some of the things I've noticed. There are some checklists and tests and stuff online, which you might find useful before you start college.

Hope that helped.

Last edited by Kumagoro; May 31st 2011 at 07:18 PM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Possibly dyslexic? - May 30th 2011, 10:25 PM

Dyslexia is a broad spectrum term, used as a basis to cover, at least here, everything from math to writing problems. I did a research study on it a few years back for a class. Everyone varies by the difficulty they have with certain areas of it, and some might be great with reading but have trouble with numbers. Or vice versa.

I was tested and diagnosed with Dyslexia when I was about seven. I had trouble reading; letters moved around the pages or they would appear backwards, etc. I also had trouble writing. My writing was illegible and my letters were often written backwards. I learned to deal with it, I had to. Reading is not a struggle now, I actually love it. But if I'm tired or not feeling well, it can be frustrating because it becomes harder to focus on the words. My only problems now, with my Dyslexia, is pronouncing and spelling words. I say words the way they are spelled, not phonetically, and that can be a problem sometimes, though mostly it's hilarious.

Don't stress about it too much. Dyslexia is something that you can learn to live with, if you have it, but usually you know you have it by the time you are learning to read. Good luck.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Possibly dyslexic? - June 2nd 2011, 03:25 PM

I have math dyslexia, they tested me for this at college by giving me a number of math challenges and seeing how well I could do them, they also gave me number sequences to remember which I really struggled with and got the numbers mixed up. I would guess its the same sort of tests for dyslexia just with words and such like rather than numbers.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Possibly dyslexic? - June 6th 2011, 04:59 PM

Walt Disney was a dyslexic. Look how sucessful he was. Even if you have it you can easily overcome it. There are varying degrees as well. I've known plenty of dyslexics. Some could read just fine but often pretty slowly, others couldn't read at all. It doesn't make you stupid it just means your brain doesn't quite function perfectly when identifiying orders.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#6 (permalink)) Old
dipka Offline
I gotta say what’s on my mind…
Average Joe

Re: Possibly dyslexic? - June 6th 2011, 08:51 PM

I have some form of SEN/SLD (spesial educational need's/severe learning dificulty) yet STILL my school have not been able to identify what I have.
I have had lot's of tests for dislexica (look yes get over that's how I spell it, decide for yourself if I have it or not, im not winding myself up bothering to get it rite all the time though) since by dad is dislexic thay suspect that I am too. But all test's have proved inconclusive.
But you asked about wat the tests are. Well basicly they are not like test's at all. All have mine have been just me and somewone else together and thay asked me to do lot's of puzzle's, I also had to rite a paragraf, reed some text and spell (guess) some word's. The tests start as thay test you on a large range of skill's such as reeding, riting, spelling, arithmatic ect.. In order to asses your baseline leval at each of the skill's being tested.

I mainly struggle with:
-understanding text's (I can reed fine but I can never remeber or understand what I read, deffinatly not able to retain the informasion to fully read a novel, Im better with true/non fiction though)
-Reeding with sertain coulors. (the best combinasion for me is bold Dark blue/purple text on a yellow background, unfortunatlly that's mostly not practicall, or blue on wite is better than black on wite)
-Knowing the alfabet, I still have know I dear what it is
-Knowing my time's tables, yes I am the one who is in extention (above top) math's set but is sat there adding up numbers when asked something such as 6X7
-Writing, I fisically cannot write so it is reedable,
-spelling, (in case you havent realised, although It can depend on the moode I am in or the topic I am writing about, sometimes I spell the same word rite or rong)
-Bullying, I have been severly bullied and still am daily for 13 years now, and it all started off due to some idiot realising that I couldent spell my own name when half way through reseption
-very limited social skill's, although probably due to the bullying rather than the dislexica

However their are things that I do to help wich are:
-use a blue filter, at the moment I only have a blue plastic wallet but plase it over a wite paper/background makes a MASSIVE differense, I use it all the time now
-set my computer to automatically use a green filter (wich I found work's better for me) so it now automatically shows withe backgrounds with text on with a green background
-use the special dislexica font wich is 'Century Gothic' Unfortunatly I have not yet found any way to set it to be the one automaticly used but it is alllways the 1st/2nd (before/after the coulor's) thing that I change before typiing anything
-type my work. Scool have lent me an alphasmart so I am able to type all my work, I also use a special typing program for my exam's
-remembering pointless fact's. My memmory is crazy, I can remember the most rediqualos fact's wich no-one would ever want to know.
-logic thinking, I am VERY logical, about apsolutly everything (wich generally just annoye's everyone)
-I can touch type, simply from teaching myself to do so in lesons, so I dont do it propperly but I can type faster than a teacher can speak or write something on the withe board

Sorry this has now become very long but I hope you take the time to read it and will gain something usefull from it.
If you would like to ask me anyhing or want any more information all you need to do is ask me
Dipka x

You have just read Dipka's forum post. Dipka is a HelpLINK mentor who is allays happy to help, please just let me know. Also, check out my profile for more about me
Dipka x

IMPORTANT!! When replying partiqually if I started the tread please can people read
the following thread
http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f122-...ngs-propperly/

In that thread poast 6 clearly state's what coulors I can see best so please can you use these if possible so I can read your reply.

Some of my favourite quotations
*what does not destroy you as a warrior makes you stronger
*the tree that is slowest to grow bears the sweetest fruit
*when the sky is at it's darkest is when you can see the stars
*Ancient stone cannot be polished without friction, nor a warrior perfected without trials
*The warrior who has the ability to move mountains begins by carrying small stones

Help-link Mentor 29/6/11

(#7 (permalink)) Old
HexGirl9 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Possibly dyslexic? - June 8th 2011, 11:32 PM

I was told I had dyslexia back when I was getting out of 1st. grade. My school did not except it as a learning problem so we had to say I had ADHD too. I had a hard time saying words and following lesson directions. (Like "Cut to the middle." and "Draw a circle with a rectangle over it." Little things like that.) After months maybe years of therapy (or help. I'm not sure.) I'm not sure about college but in High school I have to take med. before (or after) lunch so I can stay focused. I think I took a test but I was such a strange little fail I probably was easily noticed!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
samantha:)x Offline
ASmileCanHideAMillionTear s
Not a n00b

Name: samantha

Re: Possibly dyslexic? - June 20th 2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidPid View Post
I have math dyslexia, they tested me for this at college by giving me a number of math challenges and seeing how well I could do them, they also gave me number sequences to remember which I really struggled with and got the numbers mixed up. I would guess its the same sort of tests for dyslexia just with words and such like rather than numbers.
hmm i might of got that :L x

It serves a lot of functions in my life. I use it as a way to punish myself, I use it as a way to medicate myself, I use it for the tension release when things get too strong or too built up. –ditto

Faking a smile like always

- Pm me if you need help or a friend xx
  Send a message via MSN to samantha:)x  
Closed Thread