TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rain~ Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Danni

Beckers muscular dystrophy - June 1st 2011, 04:00 PM

Hey

My friend recently told me about how someone in her family has beckers muscular dystrophy. I looked it up online and it sounds like such a terrible thing to have to deal with for the boy who has it, and for her and her family.

I just wondered if anyone has any advice on how I can support her through this? Since I've never had any personal experiences of things like this, I'm not really sure what to do. She says it's been getting worse this year too, I'm just not sure how I can help her, or what I can do.

Thanks for reading

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Name: Kaveri

Re: Beckers muscular dystrophy - June 1st 2011, 04:20 PM

Hi,

If you've looked it up, I'm sure you realize that it's a problem that doesn't really come with a solution. There really is no known cure or treatment for it as such.
I encourage you to support your friend, and their family member, if you know them really well. Encouragement to socialize and make life happy and warm with love and minimum emotional distress is important.
Activity for the person is greatly encouraged as much as their capacity can give them. Being a constant support, cheering the family, or your friend up is a good idea. It is hard to deal with, but they have to remember that they should make every moment enjoyable for the person, instead of worrying or letting the pain affect close family and friends that it affect the person with the condition too.
Also, encouraging him to join support groups online or otherwise will be a great way to help cope with it, knowing that they are not alone, and supporting one another, like we do here on TeenHelp, will definitely do some good.
Take care,

-Kav.

~Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved.

Concrete Angel

"And so I grew from colt to stallion
As wild and as reckless as thunder over the land.
Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind.
Flying? There were times I believed I could."

HelpLINK Mentor - 2.4.2011
LiveHelp Operator - 18.6.2011

Send a message via MSN to Spirit. Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit. 
Closed Thread