TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
annaa. (: Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Anna,

Question Scoliosis and Ballet. - June 13th 2011, 05:00 PM

Hi
Basically I'm wondering that because I have scoliosis, I wont be able to become a professional dancer?
I've only just started ballet (I've been to 3 lessons so far, I go every thursday and saturday - I might start private coaching on wednesdays, not sure yet) and I've wanted to start for years. I really regretted giving up when I was little.
I have scoliosis at 30-ish degree's (thats the top of my spine, I have a curve the other way at the small of my back, but its only little) - the doctors say that the measurement can be about 5 degrees wrong, either way, everytime a new doctor measures my back. So far I've had 36+ degrees, and the last time I visited, it was 28.
I've been reading around, and apparently if it isn't too bad, I'll be okay. But how bad is bad? I rarely have pain, and I do stretches everyday to keep my back in shape.
I did have to wear a brace, but I stopped as it made me really unhappy. I don't regret not wearing it.
Will this stop me becoming a professional dancer when I'm older?
I know i've only just started, but that didn't stop Natalie Portman - she trained for 2 years for Black Swan.

"The only person standing in your way is you."
-Black Swan
  Send a message via MSN to annaa. (:  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Scoliosis and Ballet. - June 13th 2011, 05:34 PM

You know, I had that same dream to be a ballet dancer. I only stopped because I was more interested in school. But I would say go for it. Just maybe wear your brace at night, like every night. You could skip a night every so often if you're haveing a sleepover or something like that. But it helps your back to not get worse. I think That's the best thing other than a back surgery to fix it. It's not so bad, but no one wants to have surgery.

If you're not very flexible like other ballet dancers, make it like an interpretive ballet. I don't know if that's actually a real dance or not, but I've been doing it privately. You can do anything you set your mind to.

Hope this helps.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: Scoliosis and Ballet. - June 13th 2011, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the reply
Not to sound harsh or anything, but the brace is out of my life now - well, its been next to my bed for god knows how long, gathering dust - but I just can't face to wear it at all. They told me when I first got it, that it would correct some of my curve, but then I got told it would only stop it getting worse - and that just crushed me. I haven't worn it since, and don't intend to. I've been so, so much happier without it. When I was wearing it, thats all I would think about, now it hardly comes to mind. Its so uncomfortable.
I am relatively flexible - I can put my palms flat on the floor when I bend over and touch my toes? But now I stretch, and am hoping to become more flexible
I know it would take so much practice and determination and everything else you can throw in there, but I'm willing to do it. This might sound weird, but I was watching some ballet from Swan Lake on youtube the other day, and I had tears in my eyes. It was so beautiful.
Do you think, with the most training I could get, I could dance like that?

-Black Swan
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Scoliosis and Ballet. - June 13th 2011, 06:37 PM

Yeah, like I said, you can do anything you can put your mind to. Yes it will take practice and stuff like that, but you can do it.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: Scoliosis and Ballet. - June 14th 2011, 06:33 PM

Thankyou

-Black Swan
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Mellifluous Offline
Moo with me.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Anna, call me Rue

Re: Scoliosis and Ballet. - June 15th 2011, 11:29 PM

Not to be a buzz kill or anything, but you may have missed the bat to be a professional ballerina. The latest I've heard of people starting and becoming pro is 10/11 and even that is late. This is because, to be pro, your training is supposed to be finished at 16.

You can find me here: http://mcrdoesmylaundry.tumblr.com/
Follow me, I'm pretty awesome

Gimme sympathy,
after all of this is gone.
Who would you rather be?
Beatles or the Rolling Stones?
Oh,seriously,
You're gonna make mistakes.
You're young.
Come on, baby.
Play me somethin'
like 'Here Comes the Sun'

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Scoliosis and Ballet. - June 16th 2011, 12:29 AM

There are people who have started late. Maybe you can get an extension because you started late or something like that? I would just do some research to see what you'd have to do. I did find two links for you to look at.

This one is a blog about ballerinas who have started late:
http://beginnerballerina.blogspot.co...tarted-as.html

Here is an official website for professional ballerinas:
http://www.balletdancersguide.com/ca...ballerina.html

I'd say you should try, whatever it takes. Don't ever quit on your dream.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Scoliosis and Ballet. - June 16th 2011, 02:54 AM

Ballet is extremely hard on your body. Yes, you can start at any age as a dancer, but most professionals started when they were young. Some did not, but most did. A female dancer's career is short, usually by the age of 30, unless they decide to teach. I took a semester of ballet at my university, and it seemed like the first few weeks were easy. But it doesn't stay easy and it's extremely hard on your body. Don't get me wrong, I love dancing and I plan to take another class next semester, but not ballet. Lyrical, although you have to have some ballet training, is beautiful and it's still taxing on the body but it's also freer. Look up lyrical dance on youtube, it's pretty amazing, although still tough.

The thing about dancing is, it hurts. It's beautiful but it hurts. You might want to ask your doctor if it is safe for you to dance. They are the only ones who can really tell you. But if it is safe, well you can do anything you chose to. If you want to be a professional dancer, go for it. It's not an easy road but it's not impossible either.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: Scoliosis and Ballet. - June 16th 2011, 06:16 PM

Thankyou again for the responses.
I looked at the two links, and they all seemed to start at 13. I've decided not to take jazz and tap, I'm purely interested in just ballet. I did a lot of gymnastics when I was little, and then I started again up until about 3 or 4 years ago.
Do you think if I took private coaching on a friday (as I'm only doing thursday and saturday) that could help too?
And as I might not be able to become professional, would I still be able to enter competitions and do performances?

-Black Swan

Last edited by annaa. (:; June 16th 2011 at 06:43 PM.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Speak_Now Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Scoliosis and Ballet. - June 17th 2011, 02:25 AM

I just wanted to point out a few things, I have scoliosis, I have had the back surgery. My curve was a 65 on top and 50 on bottom, I also did color guard (it has dance in it). From my experience, I highly recommend you get back to wearing the brace. The surgery is painful as hell and after it's done, you can't bend like you use to. Once your back curves to a 50, they recommend surgery. Then, if you don't have full heart into dancing, that's the end of ballet. Honestly, the brace is better than surgery. Trust me. Wear the brace, in the long run it will help you out, because once you stop growing (normally) your curve will stop getting worse. Girls stop growing 5 years after their first period. You are young, wear the brace (I will keep saying that, til you hear). So yeah, it is up to you, on what is more important...your comfort zone (not wearing it) or ballet (wearing it).

Taylor Swift Lover.
FCK H8
Proud to be Gay.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: Scoliosis and Ballet. - June 17th 2011, 05:58 PM

Thankyou for the advice. Before I got my brace, they told me I wasn't actually at the right degree for a brace (a few degrees to little) but they gave it to me anyway as I really didn't want a curved back anymore (then obviously I found out that it wouldn't correct it).
I also got told you stop growing 3 years after you start your period, not 5. They said I don't have to wear my brace after september, as I will have stopped growing - but could it possibly increase in over 20 degree's in those 3 months?
I absolutely hate my brace. I cannot think of anything worse, at all, than having to wear it again. I had such a rough time when I was wearing it - people teased me for it, I self-harmed, I had very, very restricted movement, and it was such a puzzle, as I may have ankilosing spondilitus (sorry about the spelling) and to help that I need to keep moving, or my muscles will waste away in time. The brace didn't help that at all. It hurt so much - I can't go back.
I understand that the surgery would hurt, but I honestly don't think I'm anywhere near it.

-Black Swan
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
becklynn Offline
Becklynn
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Becky

Re: Scoliosis and Ballet. - June 18th 2011, 05:15 PM

I think that you can definitely be a professional dancer if you try hard enough. I have Scoliosis too and my curve is at about 40. The doctors said that my curve is bad and I might have to get back surgery. I currently wear a back brace but I don't let my Scoliosis stop me from waterskiing. I sometimes I feel pain in my back but I just try harder. You can do anything that you put your mind to.
  Send a message via AIM to becklynn  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: Scoliosis and Ballet. - June 19th 2011, 09:00 PM

Thankyou for the support.
My ballet teacher suggested for me to start a new class in september, so I'd have 2 on saturday and one on thursday - I am still considering the private coaching on fridays.
Darcey Bussell started ballet at 13, and now she is a very famous ballet dancer, so I look at her for inspiration now - not that I'm not inspired anyway
Another thing I am worried about now, is that I might have to have surgery when I'm older. I read a couple of posts on a forum, and those 2 people both had to wear a brace at my age, and still had to have surgery.
Any opinions?

-Black Swan
Closed Thread