TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
emmy3 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Strong glasses - July 7th 2011, 09:12 PM

I know it's not exactly a disability but it feels like it compared to 'normal' people. I have really bad eyesight and have to wear strong glasses. My eyes just seem to be getting worse and worse every time I get a test and I don't know what will happen to me. Will they get too bad for glasses to work? I don't know anyone with glasses like mine and people can be so mean because of them. I feel really ugly and like everyone always stares at me.
Does anyone else have really bad eyes too?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Sistrurus Offline
Herpetologist in training
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Josh

Re: Strong glasses - July 8th 2011, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy3 View Post
I know it's not exactly a disability but it feels like it compared to 'normal' people. I have really bad eyesight and have to wear strong glasses. My eyes just seem to be getting worse and worse every time I get a test and I don't know what will happen to me. Will they get too bad for glasses to work? I don't know anyone with glasses like mine and people can be so mean because of them. I feel really ugly and like everyone always stares at me.
Does anyone else have really bad eyes too?
I know the feeling my eyes are horrible too, but do you want to know the worst part? You're 13 they will keep getting worse till 16-18 I hate it and i know you do. I agree people can be mean but find some frames they fit your featues and it is not near as bad.

<3 ‎"I'll never let you fall, I'll stand up with you forever. i'll be there through it all" <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Dreamer Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Strong glasses - July 8th 2011, 09:45 AM

Hey Emmy!
First off; Welcome to TH!

I've had glasses since I was two, because I have horrible eyesight. I'm gonna turn 18 soon, and I still need them, and I'm gonna need them for the rest of my life. Luckily, I don't mind my glasses (probably because I've had them for so long). I understand that having to wear glasses when no one else around you does can be hard, but just embrace it! Don't let your glasses, or people around you, define who you are! Also, have you concidered getting contacts? They're not for everyone, and they don't have contacts for all eyesights (and they can be really expensive), but it might be worth concidering, if you really dislike your glasses.

As Josh said, it's likely that your eyesight will keep getting worse all through puberty, but then again, it can get better! A persons eyesight changes most when he/she is in puberty and menopause, but that doesn't mean that it has to get worse.

I hope that this was somehow helpful. Stay strong!

If you want to; check out my poems and stuff under the "Self Expression"-forum.

You are BEAUTIFUL! <3

Always remember to smile!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Strong glasses - July 8th 2011, 06:40 PM

Hey there!

I wear glasses but mine aren't particularly strong. However I do have a friend who is partially sighted and her glasses are very strong too. Your eyes could get worse and worse, that's true, but you should really think about taking breaks from long periods watching TV or on the computer, as this will stop them being strained so much.

Also, if you're worried about the appearence of them, could you not choose a different frame? Or, talk to your optician about contact lenses. There are ways around the 'ugly' ones, though it shouldn't bother you. Many people wear glasses so don't worry! You're not alone.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Strong glasses - July 8th 2011, 08:16 PM

They can get better, so stay positive! Both of my brothers needed glasses but when they got older their eyes actually got better and they didn't need to wear them anymore.

I agree with Hollie, don't strain your eyes too much and give them breaks to help keep them from getting worse.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
The lightgreenness. :D
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Strong glasses - July 8th 2011, 10:08 PM

Hey there. I have glasses as well, and mine are strong too. In fact, I'm near sighted, far sighted, and I have a astigmatism. Although I don't wear my glasses [and I should], I can understand how tough it is to wear glasses when no one around you does. Something that helped me was thinking that if I didn't wear my glasses, I wouldn't be able to see as well. Maybe you could get a pair that you aren't as uncomfortable wearing. Stay positive, your eyesight could get better. :]

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: Strong glasses - July 8th 2011, 10:54 PM

I have terrible eyesight in my right eye, and my left one is blind. I've worn glasses since I was 3. They kept getting thicker and thicker until I had the option to thin them, it costs me moe to thin my lenses than to buy them in the first place :/
Your eyes may get worse, depending on what is wrong with them. You should talk to your optician about it ... I'm sure it's just a growth thing though, my eyes got worse until I was about 18, and they've stayed the same since.

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#8 (permalink)) Old
emmy3 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Strong glasses - July 9th 2011, 08:10 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. I tried contacts but found them too difficult to deal with at the moment. My lenses get sort of rounded off at the edges but I need new ones so often that my mum won't pay to get the thinnest lenses until my eyes stop getting worse. I like my frames but the lenses stick out, have funny circles around them and make my eyes look really small. Life's not fair, i shouldn't have to be picked on because i look different.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
The lightgreenness. :D
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Strong glasses - July 9th 2011, 08:43 PM

If it makes you feel better, for my glasses, one of my lenses is ticker than the other, so I can sort of understand the lenses sticking out thing. Just think, you have your glasses so your eyesight does not get worse. It helps you see better, correct? Being able to see is more important than being picked on, right?

I personally think that people pick on others just to feel better about themselves. Embrace your differences, you are unique. And if people pick on you, I know that can be hard to deal with. However, things will get better. You are stronger than the people who pick on you because you are not mean to them.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Strong glasses - July 9th 2011, 09:44 PM

I understand why it upsets you. Personally I love wearing glasses. I guess I like it because I like having something different. Tell yourself that it's okay and that no matter what the people say, they're helping you, and thats what matters. A lot of people need ones like you, so don't worry too much.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#11 (permalink)) Old
JustSomeone Offline
Average Joe

Re: Strong glasses - July 10th 2011, 02:23 AM

Well, my glasses aren't super thick, but my eyes have slowly been getting worse as I get older, I started wearing glasses when I was 5 and I'm 21 now. Actually, I think I need new glasses again as I can't read smaller print again and I can't even afford to buy new glasses (no insurance) :/

But I have a friend who has to wear even thicker glasses than me, she has a slight lazy eye as well and people have made fun of her appearance before too.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: Strong glasses - July 10th 2011, 03:32 AM

Lenses sticking out are the reason I get mine thinned, the more they stick out the easier they break. Mine used to fall out all the time, or break the screws etc.
As for contacts, if your eyes are bad I wouldn't recommend them anyway because of the risks. Like I said I only really have sight in one eye and the other is pretty poor too, I'm only allowed daily contacts and restricted to 2-4 hours twice a week maximum. If something gets under a contact or you wear them too long they can really damage your eyes, so I wouldn't risk it if your sight's already bad ...

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#13 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Strong glasses - July 10th 2011, 03:39 AM

I need bifocals to see something even a half meter away. I will probably be upgraded to Tri focals by this August when I check examined again, if not it will be August of 2012. Bifocals have very visible lines, and I was teased alot. Some light hearted from family and friends, some was really mean, but it all hurt. However it's immature to make fun of someone with glasses, and unintelligent. It just shows that you are so great they have only one thing to tease you over. Seriously, they mock your glasses, because that's the only thing wrong with you. It's lucky. At least your glasses are plastic pieces of junk that you can take off, the jerks you tease you can't get rid of their personalities or insecurites at night like the way you take off your glasses. A good comeback is "The glasses can be replaced with contacts or new frames, you're stuck with the face."
It honestly works.

I was digusted that my sight was so poor, with no real reason "I didn't know a kid's eyes could get so bad in only four years since you were last tested." the conclusion was either my eyesight gets better or I'll be blind by the time I'm forty-fifty. Blindness is unlikely, but it's still not a fun thought.

I get having goofy glasses, I get that it sucks. However for one, many famous people wear glasses just for the look (Sunglasses, fake lenses and ones with no lenses.) I could list them, but I'm too lazy...

Glasses make you look smarter and more mature. And they make you look mysterious. Really glasses add personality, however you want them to.

Just relax and worry less about others. I would say 99.9% of all people end up with glasses someday, so don't worry, because we will all get 'em eventually.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

Closed Thread