TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Speaking at Autism Conference - July 9th 2011, 03:19 AM

Tomorrow I will be on the "Speaking for Ourselves" panel at the 42nd Autism Society National Conference and Exposition. Essentially I will be talking about having grown up with a "mild" case of Asperger's syndrome, about going through different therapies, the issues I had socially in the schooling environment with bullying, technology overload, how concepts were 100% concrete and how I took everything literally. I will also be discussing how as my world became skewed to center around "all-important" grades and the paranoia of failure, and how it getting to know people and socialize felt like an impossible endeavor, compounded with bullying and other high-pressure circumstances. I will also talk about my resistance to change and trying new things, how I made myself live a set routine. I am also considering discussing my failed out of control first crush, how I felt about "the way things are supposed to be" and my difficulties to find romance, but I am not sure. I do know I will also talk about how after I left school that I became more socially adept, especially with my work, and how I developed a stronger sense of empathy and compassion after joining this site. I plan to conclude discussing my everyday success, accomplishments in my work and my photography, and how I was personally touched by the strength, willpower, and perseverance of others I came across as they lived day-to-day life with their own challenges.

Wish me well, I am very excited.

Last edited by FlyingTrue; July 9th 2011 at 03:39 AM.
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
The lightgreenness. :D
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Speaking at Autism Conference - July 9th 2011, 07:58 AM

That sounds like fun! I have spoken about my Cerebral Palsy before. For me, it felt good to educate others about my disability, and letting others know that I'm just like them, even though I'm disabled. Congrats on getting to do this, and I'm quite sure you'll be fine! Let us know how it goes. :]

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: Speaking at Autism Conference - July 9th 2011, 09:32 AM

Good luck, though it doesn't sound like you need it!!!
It's an amazing thing you're doing!!! My little brother has "mild" Asperger's and I've just started working as a behavioural therapist for a little boy with autism. There's really not enough awareness about it, so well done you for spreading your story!!

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#4 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Speaking at Autism Conference - July 10th 2011, 12:42 AM

I had a great time. I was one of four speaking panelists, and each had their own unique story. I was the first one. I didn't get to say everything I wanted to within the 15 minutes I had but I was very satisfied with what I was able to say. I didn't rehearse or prepare a thing, I just spoke from the heart.
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
Closed Thread