TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
dipka Offline
I gotta say what’s on my mind…
Average Joe

Angry I can't read things propperly. - July 10th 2011, 11:12 PM

I have undiagnosed SEN/SLD. I've had all the possible tests, they still cannot work out what is wrong with me. This therefore means that I can get little or no support even when I really need it.

I have all sort's of strange things that I can and cannot do but right now im partiqually focusing on my eyesight.

Recently my eyes seam to have got a lot worse. They are already REALLY sensitive to light partiqually sunlight-I just cannot see outside at the moment. This has got more so recently.

Also I struggle to read things wich are in certain font's or colour's that I find on this site. Id feel really bad going round everyone and saying "I cant read what you wrote". I also find that when someone writes a long poast I find it too intimidating and cannot even begin to start reading it.

As you may imagine this is reducing the way's I can use this site. Because when reading thread's I have to miss out certain people's replies-then fear I may repeat something they said. And if someone sends in a long message (partiqually on HL) I cannot even read it-let alone reply to it.

I feel really bad because it's affecting how well I am able to help people. Does anyone have any surgestions?
Finally, sorry if anyone elce has this problem-cos I imagine this is quite long now.

You have just read Dipka's forum post. Dipka is a HelpLINK mentor who is allays happy to help, please just let me know. Also, check out my profile for more about me
Dipka x

IMPORTANT!! When replying partiqually if I started the tread please can people read
the following thread
http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f122-...ngs-propperly/

In that thread poast 6 clearly state's what coulors I can see best so please can you use these if possible so I can read your reply.

Some of my favourite quotations
*what does not destroy you as a warrior makes you stronger
*the tree that is slowest to grow bears the sweetest fruit
*when the sky is at it's darkest is when you can see the stars
*Ancient stone cannot be polished without friction, nor a warrior perfected without trials
*The warrior who has the ability to move mountains begins by carrying small stones

Help-link Mentor 29/6/11

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kristen♡ Offline
A puzzle in the making
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kristen

Re: I can't read things propperly. - July 13th 2011, 07:19 PM

Oh hon, I'm very sorry to hear about this! I'm going to make my font darker for this post just in case, because I don't really know what colors you can and can't read well. I hope this helps. All I really can say is no one is going to be mad at you for limiting your abilities. If you can't read something just tell us and we'll understand. And if you repeat yourself... well, then that just emphasizes what ever is being repeated! This doesn't make you any less helpful, just know that okay? The only suggestion I really have is try to stay away from longer posts and such things and focus on the shorter ones. That way, you're still helping! And I really do hope you figure something out soon about what it is. Best of luck sweetie<3

I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons.
And maybe we’ll never know most of them.
But even if we don’t have the power to choose where we come from,
we can still choose where we go from there.
We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.

PM|VM|EMAIL
Colyn Riley ♥

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: I can't read things propperly. - July 14th 2011, 01:51 PM

I find with long posts highlighting them helps me. I find if I do not highlight them the words become merged together and its hard to read. Maybe try highlighting posts ect ?

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
No one gets my pain anymore
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Arainellia

Re: I can't read things propperly. - July 15th 2011, 01:31 AM

my cousin has a vison problem also and i see her highlighing fonts all the time i think it may make it easier to do that im sorry this is happening best of luck

YOU ARE AMAZING YOU ARE YOU THATS WHAT MAKES YOU BEAUTIFUL TO ME

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: I can't read things propperly. - July 17th 2011, 09:13 AM

I also have higher sensitivity to light, the official name is photophobia. While it does say "phobia", it refers to your eyes have a "fear" of bright light.

In the house, I have lights dimmed. When I go outside I always wear sunglasses that have particularly dark lenses, more so than your basic everyday pair of sunglasses. There's no single cause for this though as many visual syndromes can cause this.

Myself, I have very poor colour vision, so many colours I see differently although with time, I've learned to usually tell which colour it actually is. That said, I do still make mistakes.

Without prescription glasses, I have double vision, so it always looks as though there's a duplicate of everything. Lastly, I'm also near-sighted but it's only mild and more in one eye than the other.

What visual symptoms do you have?

For long posts, is the text very blurry? If you have prescription glasses, can you read the post better?

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
dipka Offline
Average Joe

Arrow Re: I can't read things propperly. - July 17th 2011, 09:10 PM

Thank's for the surgestions everyone. Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to this.

@ Kristen♡ the best colour combination for me is Bold yellow/golden on a Dark blue background and text being Century Gothic (which is the Dislexic font as my dad has dislexia but I dont know, certan things that help him also help me) So on this site since it is not possible to change the backfroud colors as I know (if it is please someoen tell me how) Also if the text is too small I cannot read it-as yours is allmost, so I tend to use size three.
The best thing you can do so I can read it is to type the way I allways do-if I allways use it at least it then means I can allways read my own poasts!

both SquidPid and Storm Arainellia mention hilighting. Im sorry but I dont understand what you mean by that, could either of you explain please?

@
The Man And XX Master Thank's for letting me know more about it I havent achally been officially diagnosed with having this problem (wich would be why I dident know it's name) but do you know where I would be able to get these sunglasses you talk about?
I find that it can change, sometimes I see things twice other times I dont. It's really strange, I havent worked out how it workse yet. I also get these strange circle things sometimes. It's hard to explain but I will have a try. Imagine that someone has put something on the top of my pupil (wich I know is a whole but yeh) then whenever I move my eyes left/right ect these circle things then follow so they are allways in the center of my vision but are fractionally later then when I move my eyes. But I dont have time to see proparly before they are there.
I do have prescription glasses because I have (and I cant remember the name) but the muscles that hold my eyes in place are weak meaning i cannot focus on things well.
And Finally, yes I do have problems with things being blury.

Also, I final general thing, I have a blue semi-transparent plastic wallet wich I sometimes put over wite paper to help me read things easyer. But Im usally really ashamed to use it (especially as I have someone in my class who really does have problems with his eyes so much so that he has a special teacher) It feels liek Im asking for attention when Im not I just want to see easyer, does anyone have any ways I could feel more confident to use it?

Thank's again for all the replies, dipka

You have just read Dipka's forum post. Dipka is a HelpLINK mentor who is allays happy to help, please just let me know. Also, check out my profile for more about me
Dipka x

IMPORTANT!! When replying partiqually if I started the tread please can people read
the following thread

In that thread poast 6 clearly state's what coulors I can see best so please can you use these if possible so I can read your reply.

*Ancient stone cannot be polished without friction, nor a warrior perfected without trials
*The warrior who has the ability to move mountains begins by carrying small stones

Help-link Mentor 29/6/11

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: I can't read things propperly. - July 17th 2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipka View Post

@
The Man And XX Master Thank's for letting me know more about it I havent achally been officially diagnosed with having this problem (wich would be why I dident know it's name) but do you know where I would be able to get these sunglasses you talk about?
There are three main sources I'd trust for getting them.

First, you get a special type of prescription sunglasses where the lenses are tinted to a certain colour that is best for you. This will happen if you get tested for any form of colour blindness or poor colour perception. If so, you have the option of eyeglasses or contact lenses that are tinted.

Second, go to a hiking store and see if they have such sunglasses. This is a hit or miss.

Third, go to an eyeglass store as some sell high-end sunglasses. Alternatively, you can ask an eyeglass store about the strength of tinted lenses they sell or can custom-make for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipka View Post
I find that it can change, sometimes I see things twice other times I dont. It's really strange, I havent worked out how it workse yet. I also get these strange circle things sometimes. It's hard to explain but I will have a try. Imagine that someone has put something on the top of my pupil (wich I know is a whole but yeh) then whenever I move my eyes left/right ect these circle things then follow so they are allways in the center of my vision but are fractionally later then when I move my eyes. But I dont have time to see proparly before they are there.
Do these circles flash, have a certain colour, etc...?

The first thing that comes to mind are floaters. Examples of how they are perceived are in the links below.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../Floaters2.png

http://www.migraine-aura.org/site/co...r_2007_en.jpeg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...x-Floaters.png

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
dipka Offline
Average Joe

Arrow Re: I can't read things propperly. - July 18th 2011, 09:16 PM

Thank's again, Ill look into getting some soon I hope

No, they are like see through, but still there. They dont tend to flash really. From those pictures (middle one dident work) they look similar to what I get, so Im assuming that's what it is.

Dipka x

the following thread

Help-link Mentor 29/6/11

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: I can't read things propperly. - July 18th 2011, 09:28 PM

By highlighting I mean when you see font on the internet ect, When you go to copy information of the internet ect you most likley highlight it and copy it that way. By highlighting it mean clicking it and highlighting it as though you are going to copy it. I think you can change the background colour on here by clicking the bottom left footer on the main forum page and selecting a colour for the forums.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread