TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dark Horse Offline
Used to be ellabella:)
Average Joe

Name: Arabella

DYSCALCULIA - July 12th 2011, 04:28 PM

I think I miight have dyscalculia!!....I get A's and B's in everything except for math....I get D's and E's in math!!! I CANNOT DO IT it's sooo frustrating! I've been going to extra math lessons for over six years now, and NOTHING is helping! I just can't keep up with the class and I'm scared that I'm going to fail the semester....my teacher has already told me Im only writing part of the exam...Ive read about dyscalculia, but it does seem a little bit extreme.....but am I ever going to be good at math? Why can't I do it???
Sorry...Im not sure this is the right forum....

Tears Falling Down To Lips Unkissed
Ignore Her And She Won't Exist
She's Not The Kind You'll Come To Miss

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: DYSCALCULIA - July 12th 2011, 05:04 PM

I have Dyscalculia too. I find math hard. I was not diagnosed with it till the age of 16. What helps me with math is playing math games on the internet BBC skills wise has pretty good math games. I also used to have a maths tutor they came to my house once a week and worked with me for an hour a week. I also went to math classes after school on a Monday and Thursdays. It was supposed to help - you had a room with other people at different levels and if you got stuck on a question you had to put your hand up and someone would come and help you. You also sometimes were given a time to complete it in. Neither of those helped me.

What I found helped me was doing games on the BBC skills wise website. Also their are some math computer games you can buy from shops. You could also just search 'math games to play on-line ' and play some math games on-line. Also maybe try turning the times tables into some sort of song. Like put them to a simple tune (maybe ba ba black sheep or something) and sing the times tables to that chosen tune .

I often find myself getting my numbers in a muddle and reading them backwards, forgetting number sequences, counting to 90 and then going back to 20. I also find that if I am doing addition counting on my fingers helps, I also find using a ruler can help like say your doing a sum you can count on the ruler like say its 20+20 or something you could count on the ruler up to 40 or something to work out how many number are in between. You could also ask your teacher if there are any suggestions that they could give you at the end of class or something.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
The lightgreenness. :D
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: DYSCALCULIA - July 12th 2011, 05:09 PM

Hey there. If it makes you feel better, I have trouble with math as well, due to my Cerebral Palsy. I can understand why you are upset about this. My advice to you would be talk to your parents and teachers about this, if you haven't already. During high school I was on an IEP [Individualized Education Plan] and that let me have adaptions that I would not have had during school had I not been on an IEP, such as extended time on tests. The reason I suggest talking to your parents or teachers about this is they may be able to help you, or perhaps get you evaluated to see if you have Dyscalculia. If nothing else, they can provide support for you as you go through this.

Take care.

Closed Thread