TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Speeddemonstar Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Glenda

about to start high school - July 24th 2011, 10:43 PM

well, I have alot of problems with remembering what I read or hear. well, my test scores are really high because there's only like 3 questions that are reading comprehension. so, every year at the beginning of the school year, all the teachers think I'm just not trying, when in fact, I'm trying my best. It is extremely embarassing, frustraiting, and just overall annoying for me... open book tests are the WORST. I'll read the question, not know the answer, look back in the story to find the answer, and then I forget what the question was. but it is so bad, that there might be a question such as "what problem did the main character have in the beginning of the story?" and I won't even know who the main character is, and I can never identify what the problem they were having was... and with such things, I just can't find an answer and have to just skip the question... well, this can be a problem when I'm only able to answer 3 questions on a worksheet that has 20+ questions, and so the teachers think I'm just not trying, or refusing to do the work... adding more to my annoyance... and often, when they think I didn't try or something like that, they send me back to my desk and tell me stuff like "I won't accept this incomplete like this, just go try" and I try again, am still not able to, so I just put my head down on the desk or table and cry... but for some reason, the teachers still don't listen, and often I get in trouble for it, and I've had to write 200 sentences before "I will do my work in class" I have had to write that sentence so many times.... but anyway, this happens EVERY SINGLE YEAR... and it was particularly hard when I went from elementary to middle school and since I'll be going from middle to high school, and since my brother (straight a student) went to the high school and had the same teachers that I'm going to have, they always expect me to do as well as him, and can't seem to understand how he's so good at it, and I just can't do it...
Any ideas?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
The lightgreenness. :D
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: about to start high school - July 25th 2011, 03:42 AM

Hey there. I'm sorry you are going through this, it must be a tough thing to go through. Have you tried talking to your teachers about why it is so hard for you to test like this? Or have you tried talking to a parent about it? Maybe if you feel too afraid to go to your teachers by yourself, you can explain what is going on to your parents. Then, maybe they can help you explain things to your teachers. I also think you should talk to an adult about this to see if you can get tested for any possible disabilities. That way, you might be able to get on something called an Individualized Education Plan [IEP for short]. That would allow things to be accommodated for you based on your needs. I hope this has helped you, and feel free to contact me anytime. :]

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Bubbly751 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: about to start high school - July 25th 2011, 03:42 AM

You could try explaining to your teachers up front, you might be surprised at their responses! They might work something out with you. I hope that everything goes well. Good Luck!

Feel free to PM or VM me

Sh free since 7/10/16

I've been here for 3 years and counting!!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Le Papillon Offline
a secret you can keep
I can't get enough

Name: Samuel

Re: about to start high school - July 25th 2011, 03:51 AM

myabe on the first day, you shoul tell them about it? get them prepared for it before hand, so they may not feel like its just a random excuse all of a sudden?

formerly snowstorm, GoneBeyondRepair, and Breathless in Love
Repose en Paix, Grandad/mom H., Sito, Nay, Mary, Aunt S., Peter, Katie, Lexi, Mrs. Radoye, Mandii, Trevor, Megan, Uncle T., Erika, Aunt R., Braxton, Connie, Adam, Grandpa, Buttons ♥
The world will bleed its bloody tale. People will throw their stones. But the one thing you must always remember is:
You no longer walk alone.
-Blake Bliss

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Speeddemonstar Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Glenda

Re: about to start high school - August 4th 2011, 03:03 AM

well, I'm already on and IEP for Spina Bifida... mom has tried talking to the teachers, but they don't listen. they tried to add it to my IEP that I have problems with it, but they said that they can't because my test scores are too high... and since it isn't in my IEP the teachers don't take it seriously...

Closed Thread