TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Question Sign Language? - August 3rd 2011, 01:53 AM

I was wondering if anyone knows any good websites for learning Sign Language? My boyfriend is partially deaf, and we have noticed his hearing is worsening fast So we would like to begin learning, so we know enough to get both of us through when he loses it completely.

Also, if you have any ideas on how I can help him deal with it...He doesn't like to talk about it. It scares him, and he always asks if I will leave him (I reassure him I will not, as we have been through a lot already and still have a very happy and fun relationship.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Re: Sign Language? - August 3rd 2011, 02:12 AM

I've been learning for no particular reason at all and I found this site (http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/page...t/concepts.htm) helpful as it teaches you some basics and after you get those down I'm not entirely sure, maybe google a bit but I think the best bet would be trying to find a place in your area that teaches ASL.

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Re: Sign Language? - August 3rd 2011, 02:16 AM

I have been trying to search for groups that teach it around here, but it seems to cost $200+ for each "class" which is only 2 months of learning.

There are apparently no other deaf, or hard of hearing, people in Indiana

That website looks good for the basics though, and I guess that would be a good start. So thank you!

I plan on asking my doctor if he might know of anywhere that teaches it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Re: Sign Language? - August 3rd 2011, 04:52 AM

After searching even more the same site does free lessons to a point, I suggest exploring all of the site but here is the link to the free lessons area. http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/lessons/lessons.htm

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
craz33me Offline
because...cats.
I've been here a while

Name: Ciara(:

Re: Sign Language? - August 3rd 2011, 04:57 AM

Yeah, I'd try to get videos or something about it online, they are really easy to learn from. But her website she gave is legit.

A beautiful thing is never perfect.

Send a message via Skype™ to craz33me 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
ARTPOP Offline
I've been here a while

Name: :)

Re: Sign Language? - August 3rd 2011, 10:34 AM

Hey, signing sites generally are not free But for the basics you could try

http://www.british-sign.co.uk/what_i...n_language.php

Which is free, and then offers full online courses. That's BRITISH (BSL) America use ASL

Tips on talking about it... well of course he is scared. I was too, but talking HELPS. Tell him that deaf people can live a normal life. Is he eligible for cochlea implants? I have Brainstem implant (helps me hear), but ATM, it is not on, but I still live a totally reguar life, I shop, go to resturants, go to college watch TV and DVDs (with subs) use my phone (for texting) and signing is like a secret languge you can have secret converations.

Do you know WHY he is going deaf? Perhaps go to his next hospital appointment, he'll feel more secure with you if you know what it is he has to go through. Talk to the doctors and find as much out as posssible

Any more info needed, just PM me Being deaf does not meant be isolated. It's scary at first, but we are the same as hearing people in everthing we do, we just can't hear

I'm a superstar because I do pageants!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Sign Language? - August 3rd 2011, 10:40 AM

I learnt bits through a course in college because my ex boyfriends sister is deaf she had a cochlear implant though.

I got Biritish Sign Language for Dummies from a library which helped. I am sure there is an ASL version.

Try and learn the alphabet to start at least then you can fingerspell words you don't know the signs for.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: Sign Language? - August 3rd 2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape_thereal_world View Post
I have been trying to search for groups that teach it around here, but it seems to cost $200+ for each "class" which is only 2 months of learning.

There are apparently no other deaf, or hard of hearing, people in Indiana

That website looks good for the basics though, and I guess that would be a good start. So thank you!

I plan on asking my doctor if he might know of anywhere that teaches it.

You may want to look in to local colleges/community colleges and see what they offer. Many will let you sign up for just that particular class and it'd be a bit more in depth than 2 months.

You may also want to try aslpro.com, my professor used it a lot as a guide during our ASL classes.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Re: Sign Language? - August 3rd 2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Coco View Post
Do you know WHY he is going deaf? Perhaps go to his next hospital appointment, he'll feel more secure with you if you know what it is he has to go through. Talk to the doctors and find as much out as posssible
I don't remember the exact term he used. But he was a baby and got a severe ear infection and by time they noticed, his eardrum had been ruptured. They put tubes n his ears at some point, because he conitinued getting ear infections, but the doctor didn't tell them the tubes (I cant remember this part either. Either the doctor forgot to tell them the tubes needed to be taken out, or that they come out on their own, something). Either way, the doctor didn't tell them and they didn't know there was different tubes so they didn't think about it.

Next thing they knew, his ear was trying to heal itself, and his ear began to heal incorrectly. He had some type of surgery to reduce parts of his ear so he could hear better (the bone surgery), but it didn't work and just healed the same.

As for a hospital, he is stubborn and won't go! And he doesn't qualify for any insurance.

But yeah...I don't know what to do to help, or get him to help himself by going to the doctor. Also, his mom didn't want him to get a hearing aid, so he has never had one but has been thinking of getting one in a few years.

Depending on how fast it progresses, he will be completely deaf as early as mid-late 30s.

Oh, and thank you all for the links and information This is a whole new world for us to understand

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Re: Sign Language? - August 3rd 2011, 07:59 PM

The hearing aids sound like a good idea because they might help some at least in the beginning. But taking initiative to learn ASL is a great thing and I only know one person who is deaf who I see for maybe 3 days a year if that even. But I still like to learn sign language because to me it really is beautiful, I love the though of using your hands for words and I just think it's amazing, it can also help me a bit because I am a select mute (not by choice though, it sucks) so if I find myself having trouble saying something to someone I can write it down or if they know sign language I can use that to get the point across.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Re: Sign Language? - August 3rd 2011, 09:01 PM

Aww that sucks But it's great you know other ways to communicate!

I'm still searching for classes we could take together to learn, but for now we will stick with the basics (finger spelling).

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Re: Sign Language? - August 3rd 2011, 09:06 PM

Yeah it can suck sometimes but hey I get to learn an amazing language! I always try to find some kind of positive in something.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: Sign Language? - August 3rd 2011, 09:16 PM

I picked up some sign language flashcards at a store for less than 10 bucks. I've been using them-- they do the alphabet, numbers, nouns, verbs, adjectives-- basic things but there are like 200 or more cards!!!! So you can definitely learn a lot.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Re: Sign Language? - August 3rd 2011, 11:04 PM

Oooh that's neat! I'm grabbing some books from the library as well as using that aslpro.com

(#15 (permalink)) Old
craz33me Offline
because...cats.
I've been here a while

Name: Ciara(:

Re: Sign Language? - August 4th 2011, 06:27 AM

I know a bit from movies, because of my dad watching them to learn it for the military. Plus, he's going deaf, so it might help.

Like I said though, watching the movies will help a bit.

A beautiful thing is never perfect.

Send a message via Skype™ to craz33me 
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Child and Youth Care Worker
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Re: Sign Language? - August 4th 2011, 05:47 PM

Hey.

I'm deaf, and I have a cochlear implant so I CAN hear, but I do know asl...I knew a bit when I was a small kid (before my cochlear), but then when I got older, I decided to learn ASL so that I could have it under my belt if I ever needed it. I did end up taking classes at a school at night (Alberta school for the deaf), but before I even started level 1, I knew a lot. You know why?

SIGNING TIME WITH ALEX AND LEAH.

It's a kids show, geared towards little little kids. LIke, under 9 years old. It's 2 kids and their mom and they sing, sign, and TEACH you how to. it's a huge series...and I watch some stuff on youtube, but mostly I rented the DVD's from the local library. YOu can even buy the dvd's in a box set with flash cards, memory helpers, etc. It's GREAT. www.signingtime.com

Something you need to understand is that ASL is NOT english. You don't use lots of words like you use in english. Like "the". Instead of saying "look at the red car" you say "red car, look" The grammar is all in your facial expressions, and sentance structure is much different than English. It's a new language. You can learn by yourself for a while, but eventually it would be nice if you could both take some kind of class so that you could be taught sentence structure and certain sign rules.

If you need any help with your signing, drop me a line...because I know sign haha.

Jenn

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Re: Sign Language? - August 4th 2011, 07:11 PM

Thank you, Jennifer. Yeah, I know it's a whole other language, with different sentence structures. I was just hoping we could learn from home, as he is very anti-social.

Thanks for the offer to help if I need it. I'll check out that site and watch a few youtube videos. It looks interesting, as we need to start off learning from a kids' perspective :P

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Child and Youth Care Worker
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Re: Sign Language? - August 4th 2011, 07:42 PM

It sounds dumb because it's a little kids show, but it's very simple and makes sense to us old people, too. It's a great program. signingsavvy.com is also a decent site where you can type in words and it will show you how to sign it. I think you need to sign up to gain access though, but not sure if it's free.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Sign Language? - August 5th 2011, 05:37 AM

Is the word you're looking for "meningitis"? I know that's one of the diseases that can affect infants and damage their hearing.

I'm working on learning ASL and I use http://www.lifeprint.com/ like some of the other users who have posted. Can you see if a local community college teaches classes? I know the one in my area does, but I don't live in Indiana.

As for helping him cope, there's really not much you can do. I think it's something he has to come to terms with on his own. But one thing you can definitely do is show him that you're not going to leave. Don't pity him or treat him any differently. That will just make him defensive. Just keep acting like his girlfriend and support him through the entire process.

I'll be praying for you both.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#20 (permalink)) Old
ARTPOP Offline
I've been here a while

Name: :)

Re: Sign Language? - August 5th 2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape_thereal_world View Post

Also, his mom didn't want him to get a hearing aid, so he has never had one but has been thinking of getting one in a few years.

Depending on how fast it progresses, he will be completely deaf as early as mid-late 30s.

Oh, and thank you all for the links and information This is a whole new world for us to understand

No Problems

And his mum was a bit odd... I know in the states hearing aids can be pricey though but people with them seem to do so well! And he shoud qualify because the hospital basically rendered him deaf :/
But not to worry about being deaf by mid 30's!!!! Like I said, deafness does not restrict us, and he (hopefully) still has bags of time to learn lip-reading, more signs and MORE!!!

I'm a superstar because I do pageants!

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: Sign Language? - August 5th 2011, 02:16 PM

Can't the hospital give you classes to go to?
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Re: Sign Language? - August 5th 2011, 02:27 PM

I've looked into the colleges around here, and the only classes they offer are ones you take for degrees. I'm still looking though.

It may be "meningitis", but I don't remember. xD I'm a bad girlfriend lol

His mom, I think, is afraid it will make things more difficult for him. She said she doesn't want him to rely on it and he would have to take it off at work, which could be a hassle.

Anywho,
I agree it was the hospitals fault, but for whatever reason his parents never did anything. She always looks guilty when she speaks about it, or when she notices he has trouble hearing her.

It's...interesting. And we already have the ABCs almost mastered. Yayyy

(#23 (permalink)) Old
gymnastxxLeah Offline
tumble <3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Leah

Re: Sign Language? - August 7th 2011, 12:03 AM

i am not deaf. i know complete sign language. i have a friend... she's been my friend since oh uhhh third grade. well she lost her hearing around the time i met her... i still can never really remember how and stuff... anyways. she makes an effort to talk orally, but i can see thats hard for her. so i learned sign language. websites are a good start. try the alphabet and then move on to colors and basic words. does he know sign? Cause if he doesn't why don't you both try and learn together? anyways. the best thing you can do right now is be there for him and learn sign. after you know the basics, it'll be a good idea to find a teacher. hope this helps.

I wanna fly. So I do gymnastics instead.

I'll just keep holding on to what i believe and oh I believe in you. Give me the strength for the fight and the heart to believe cause I've got to believe in you. I feel so alive.

PeacewithImperfection

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Re: Sign Language? - August 7th 2011, 04:43 PM

As for hospitals, I never thought of asking someone ! Genius haha.

And we both are trying to learn sign. He doesn't know any yet.

Thanks everyone for the advice

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Sign Language? - August 7th 2011, 10:38 PM

This cost but sometimes colleges will offer courses in it.

Also, there are service dogs just like seeing eye dogs but they are hearing dogs for the deaf and very hard of hearing, This may help him come out of his shell a bit animals tend to do that.

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

PM me
All or nothing for Christ Was I love dogs

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whosoever believeth in Him should not parish, but have everlasting life John 3:16 ( 21st century King James Viersion)

Closed Thread