TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Isaiah_41:13 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Marla Ann (Mar)

dyslexia - August 30th 2011, 03:12 AM

how do you help someone with dyslexia? what does it mean and stuff?

Isaiah 41:13

For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.

God is the God of second chances

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ashleylovesyou Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: ashley

Re: dyslexia - August 30th 2011, 06:14 PM

I can't really help you on this subject because I don't know much about it. I do know that they have classes that people can take and that the younger they start getting help, the easier it is for the help to actually help.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Isaiah_41:13 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Marla Ann (Mar)

Re: dyslexia - August 31st 2011, 01:10 AM

okay, thanks for responding though. I have a friend with dyslexia living with me right now, she just found out that she has it. so, we're a bit lost in the dark. but thanks!

Isaiah 41:13

For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.

God is the God of second chances

(#4 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: dyslexia - August 31st 2011, 02:00 AM

Well, I only know basics about it, but I guess I'll explain what I do know.

Generally dyslexia is a disorder that effects the ability to read, write and complete math equations. It's an ordering issue that often creates bad grammar and mis-spellings.

The word: Equal for instance could appear as something like "Euaql" one time, but the next time the ordering would be totally different. Obviously this makes reading very tricky, and writing is even harder.

Math equations often end up jumbled and disordered in a dyslexic's head, and this also creates confusion. We mentally spell out words or compute problems subconsiously, for a dyslexic this makes things much harder.

Often if people begin to work with the dyslexic before the sixth grade, they can learn to better understand their school work, as they work on ordering the letters and focusing.

Often dyslexics do no preform well in school and because they do not understand what they are supposed to be doing, they behaviour badly, or act rowdy. They are often branded as "Troubled students" and brushed off. This makes dyslexia that much worse, because it leads the dyslexic to believe that they are simply stupid, instead of confused, and dealing with a disorder.

Your friend is probably relieved to kow that all along they were not stupid, and they were not misbehaving for no reason. They are probably happy that it is a problem they can work through, and they no longer have to grapple with not understanding printed media.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jenna Peterson Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jenna

Re: dyslexia - August 31st 2011, 07:55 AM

There are actually 3 types of dyslexia: auditory, visual and attentional
What Justin has described, which is a very good introductory understanding by the way, is most accurate of the visual type.

Auditory would naturally be the same sort of thing, but with what is heard instead of what is read.

Attentional dyslexia is a different beast. Take this example (which is paraphrased from memory, from something I read years ago in one of my Mom's teaching books): A child reads the sentence "The horse jumped over the fence."
In an average child's mind, they are visualizing a horse, which is probably running in a field or an arena, approaching a fence, jumping it, landing, and continuing on somewhere. It's simple, it's fluid, and they're on to the next sentence.
A child with attentional dyslexia starts out with a horse, which is probably standing around, because they haven't yet processed that it's doing something. Now it's in the air, because it jumped, but we're not exactly sure what or why it jumped yet. Now we have a fence, but the horse is gone and forgotten about.

There are a few important things to keep in mind if you want to help someone who has dyslexia:
- Improving this person's skills does not mean erasing dyslexia. This cannot be done. Improving their skills means helping them to process information in whatever way works for them.
- Stress & anxiety make dyslexia worse. Practice the affected task(s) in a stress-free environment if possible. Try to make it a positive experience and don't push it.
- Practice orally & visually at the same time. Read out loud while following the text on a page, for example. No matter which it is that your friend has more trouble with (written or spoken language), pairing it with the other will help understanding.
- When it comes to school work and testing, if written language is what your friend's problem is, testing by dictation might be something to look into. For reading & writing assignments, technology is your friend! There are countless programs out there for the visually impaired that will read text & take dictation that can also be very useful for people with language disorders.

The walls are high, the walls are strong
I've been trapped in this castle that I built for far too long
You have surrounded me, a sea on every side
The cracks are forming and I've got no where to hide
  Send a message via AIM to Jenna Peterson Send a message via MSN to Jenna Peterson Send a message via Yahoo to Jenna Peterson  
Closed Thread