TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
dipka Offline
I gotta say what’s on my mind…
Average Joe

Incident in the Inclusion and diversity unit - September 26th 2011, 05:36 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Okay, this may take quite a bit of explaining, so I appolagies in advance.

This year my school changed from being organised as year groups to organised as houses. (each house has 2 forms from each year in it) I am a 'house mentor' which means I have a allocated year 7 form that is also in my house that I have to take care off. As well as looking out for anyone that's in my house.

Many of the people with any kind of disability or SEN are in my house. I also have SEN. We all go to B11 (the Inclusion and diversity unit room for people with disabilityes/SEN, or anyone who getts support for it to go at break times) so I see them quite a lot.

In 'my' year 7 form is a girl called Louise who I now know has ADHD. Today in B11 im not sure how or why but someone bought up the subject of Self Harm.
Basicly the genral idea was that Louise then decided that people who SH are emos. She was then very proud of herself as she showed off the fact that she has one tiny cut on her arm. Im assuming that it was perhapse a scrach or something and NOT done by SH.
She then asked everyone around (who obvesly all have their own needs, and some probably dont know what SH or a emo is) if she was or wasent an emo, and then focus turned onto someone elce who was falsely accuesd of being an emo and a large argument started.

As a house mentor Im ment to have taken controol of it. I did try and made it clear that people who self harm are NOT emos but I dident want any attention to be baught to myself. I have Harmed for about 1 year and am still very reserved over it. (to make it worse for me, that morning I had been at hospital at an appointment about my self harm and had just got into school) Their were no other teachers around at the time untill they came out to tell us to get to lessons.

Im just struggling to deal with Louise, she is very loud and just says things without thinking. She is also fairly agressive and defient and rarely listens to anyone. Im just really scared of what could happen throught the rest of the year.

What should I do now? I know I cant just leave it.. but Im too scared to step up and take controol of it and talking to a adult/teacher is even scarier.
Any advice please?

You have just read Dipka's forum post. Dipka is a HelpLINK mentor who is allays happy to help, please just let me know. Also, check out my profile for more about me
Dipka x

IMPORTANT!! When replying partiqually if I started the tread please can people read
the following thread
http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f122-...ngs-propperly/

In that thread poast 6 clearly state's what coulors I can see best so please can you use these if possible so I can read your reply.

Some of my favourite quotations
*what does not destroy you as a warrior makes you stronger
*the tree that is slowest to grow bears the sweetest fruit
*when the sky is at it's darkest is when you can see the stars
*Ancient stone cannot be polished without friction, nor a warrior perfected without trials
*The warrior who has the ability to move mountains begins by carrying small stones

Help-link Mentor 29/6/11

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Incident in the Inclusion and diversity unit - September 27th 2011, 11:55 AM

Maybe take her to one side and have a quiet word with her and explain that the way she is behaving at certain times is not exactly appropriate and that you would like her to try to calm down a-bit, explain that you don't mind her talking ect but she does need to watch some of the things she says and maybe to think before speaking. And maybe tell her that if thing's don't exactly improve you will need to speak to a teacher at school.
And maybe tell her that subjects such as self harm are best to be left for times outside of classrooms as those sort of subjects can be sensitive subjects for some people.

I myself have ADHD and I remember someone having a similar chat with me about speaking before not thinking and being a little disruptive. (though I never bought up the subject of self harm)

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
dipka Offline
Average Joe

Re: Incident in the Inclusion and diversity unit - September 29th 2011, 08:52 PM

Ill try it, She has a teacher/staff that follows her everywhere, so Id feel a bit like its going 'you suld do ur job better' too her.

Iv been away and havent seen her in school since this

You have just read Dipka's forum post. Dipka is a HelpLINK mentor who is allays happy to help, please just let me know. Also, check out my profile for more about me
Dipka x

IMPORTANT!! When replying partiqually if I started the tread please can people read
the following thread

In that thread poast 6 clearly state's what coulors I can see best so please can you use these if possible so I can read your reply.

*Ancient stone cannot be polished without friction, nor a warrior perfected without trials
*The warrior who has the ability to move mountains begins by carrying small stones

Help-link Mentor 29/6/11

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Incident in the Inclusion and diversity unit - September 29th 2011, 09:32 PM

It would not exactly be telling them to do a better job more making them aware of the issue.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
The lightgreenness. :D
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Incident in the Inclusion and diversity unit - September 29th 2011, 11:36 PM

Hey there. Another thing I want to add that you could do is write things down, explaining what's been going on. That way, you wouldn't have to actually talk to a teacher. Remember that you're just trying to help, I'm sure a teacher would understand where you are coming from.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
dipka Offline
Average Joe

Re: Incident in the Inclusion and diversity unit - October 2nd 2011, 09:51 PM

Thanks guys. I allways get scared of writing to explain stuff (I should probally point out that physcally I cant achally write) so thats the 1st thing.
2=I have to type it, wich means saving and printing it. Therfore it cant ever been delited/destroyed if I wanted it to be
3=It then meens that whoever I give it to has a permanate copy/record of what I said.

Dipka x

the following thread

Help-link Mentor 29/6/11

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Incident in the Inclusion and diversity unit - October 2nd 2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidPid View Post
Maybe take her to one side and have a quiet word with her and explain that the way she is behaving at certain times is not exactly appropriate and that you would like her to try to calm down a-bit, explain that you don't mind her talking ect but she does need to watch some of the things she says and maybe to think before speaking. And maybe tell her that if thing's don't exactly improve you will need to speak to a teacher at school.
And maybe tell her that subjects such as self harm are best to be left for times outside of classrooms as those sort of subjects can be sensitive subjects for some people.

I myself have ADHD and I remember someone having a similar chat with me about speaking before not thinking and being a little disruptive. (though I never bought up the subject of self harm)
^Agreed. Nice.

Being a mentor (especially when you struggle with some of the issues of the people you're mentoring) is often difficult, b/c it stirs a lot up, you're close to it.

The solution here is to recognize your own limitations (that's always a real strength, btw, and perhaps most especially when 'Helping' as the act of helping is very emotional, and with that, can come that loss of perspective), and talk with your teacher/supervisor about the situation with HER and the management issues you face (sharing your own piece of it is optional).

Not every 'Special Needs' kid has the same special needs, and in her case, her ADHD (impulsive!) might prevent her from really being in a group counseling/talking situation, regardless of who's the leader (or mentor).

It might be best to take her aside after one of these impulsive expressions of inappropriateness and point that out to her, gently, and also tell her what the appropriate response would have been, so she can learn and see it that way, rather than you scolding her.

If they see you as having some 'Authority' as a mentor (which I assume comes with the role), try to remember that the nervousness you feel is coming from your own stuff here, and project an image of certainty and calmness.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Incident in the Inclusion and diversity unit - October 4th 2011, 06:44 AM

Can you not simply kick her out of the group? Remove the problem for good?

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
ARTPOP Offline
I've been here a while

Name: :)

Re: Incident in the Inclusion and diversity unit - October 6th 2011, 10:54 AM

Well then someone else would have to deal with her, thus, the problem isn't really solved.#

I think you should just talk to her. Say what she is saying is hurtful to others and she must try and stop herself saying such things.

Maybe implement a system? Goes one session without being mean/loud or whatever, gets a star in a book or something. Gets enough stars by half term, gets a treat?
Orrrr, a signal. She's getting to loud and mouthy, you show her a yellow card, she continues, red.

Jemxx

I'm a superstar because I do pageants!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
dipka Offline
Average Joe

Re: Incident in the Inclusion and diversity unit - October 11th 2011, 10:57 PM

Many thanks for the surgetions on this one guys.

Just to clear up, its not any organised group or anything, it was in a break time. so you she and I and the others are all there cos we want to be.

Anyways, she's not mentiond it again sinc so Im assuming that a teacher delt with it.
The problem of her saying inapropiate things is continueing with everything, so I now know that they are loooking more in depth to something such as changing her medication for exaple. Wich will obvs take time to investigate and solve before I get the results/improvments from it.

But yeh, much apriciated everyone
dipka x

Dipka x

the following thread

Help-link Mentor 29/6/11

Closed Thread