TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Exclamation Anyone else have trouble getting their parents to understand? - January 30th 2012, 03:25 PM

Hi guys!
Just wondered if anyone else was having problems getting their parents to support them with their disability?

I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (EDS type 3), It seems to be a rare condition as I have never spoken to anyone else with this condition. I inherited it from one or both of my parents but they are only carriers of the faulty gene.

I went through a stage where I blamed my parents for the way I am....Now I'm accepting it, my parents are unsupportive and struggling. My mum keeps saying that I am not trying to help myself and that I'm lying about being in pain when I really am in pain She seems to think that I am exaggerating how bad my pain is and what it is like I'm really not its really painful and I'm tired of it. Also she says that I am fat but it is difficult to exercise through the pain of my condition. I used to have an eating disorder too so it is not easy hearing her say that about me. I am only [edit] which is quite well for me.

Thanks to anyone who can give advice or just a reply so I know that I am not the only one out there with this issue! xxxx

Last edited by *Jen*; February 5th 2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Please don't post weight numbers because they are against the rules

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Char

Re: Anyone else have trouble getting their parents to understand? - January 30th 2012, 08:56 PM

Hey,

I've heard of EDS before, but I've never understood what it is.

I have the same trouble with my Mum and step Dad. I suffer from a disorder, Trichotillomania. I pull my hair out through stress and sometimes I don't realise I am pulling out my hair because I've zoned out. I try to talk to my parents about how I feel and I often blame my Mum for what has happened to me. I can't really talk to anyone about my disorder other than my boyfriend and my biological father - everyone else seems to be completely ignorant about it :/ so I know how you feel about the whole not being able to talk to anyone about it.

I suffer from an eating disorder too, I'm still recovering from it. I'm here if you want to talk at all

xx

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Smile Re: Anyone else have trouble getting their parents to understand? - January 31st 2012, 05:32 PM

Hey,

Thanks for replying EDS is basically where the connective tissues in the body don't work like they should do and it causes pain, dislocations and other problems. Can be quite painful and sometimes lifethreatening as it can affect the heart

I used to scratch myself til I bled as I got so upset and stressed with my parents not listening to me. Its nice that you have someone to speak to about it, Have they not tried to speak to your mum or step-dad to try and get them to understand?

I hope you continue to recover from your eating disorder

Thanks I'm here if you need to talk too! xx

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Manasvi
Location: A hidden, faaaaar-off world where people love each other and everything is just perfect. :)

Re: Anyone else have trouble getting their parents to understand? - February 1st 2012, 07:10 AM

Hey,

I suggest you to confide in a trusted friend/family member. Sometimes, all you need is a bit of healthy communication. Also, try and get help from some other family member who can speak with your parents about this.
I hope everything sorts out!
Feel free to PM me if you want to talk. ^_^
Stay strong! Take care!

PS:You're beautiful, no matter what! xx

All we can do is Keep Breathing...!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Laurasaurus Offline
Learning to Fly
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Anyone else have trouble getting their parents to understand? - February 1st 2012, 05:19 PM

I haven't even tried to tell any of my family because I know the whole thing would just blow up in my face. They don't understand people that do things that I do, so why would they understand me?
Its not just a "phase" that I go through. There isn't something mentally wrong with me because I am attracted to both sexes. I'm not weird because I cut. (I'm weird because of other things. )
But in all seriousness. You aren't the only one out there. Maybe try talking to another friend or family member, parents aren't everything. Even though they are the ones that should be there no matter what, sometimes they just aren't.

1/7/12 - Live Help Operator | 1/25/14 - HelpLINK Mentor | 6/8/14 - Depression and Suicide Forum Moderator | 6/8/14 - Addictive Behaviors Forum Moderator | 1/11/14 - Videos Team Member | 4/11/15 - Senior Live Help Operator

I will be generous with my love today. I will sprinkle compliments and uplifting words everywhere I go. I will do this knowing that my words are like seeds and when they fall on fertile soil, a reflection of those seeds will grow into something greater.

PM / VM

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Anyone else have trouble getting their parents to understand? - February 4th 2012, 06:12 PM

They get all angry if I speak to someone else in the family about it :/ x

Closed Thread