TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts


Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!



Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Formerly known as Ryan.
Average Joe
***
 
CognitiveEntropy's Avatar
 
Name: Ryan
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Location: Anywhere but here.

Posts: 117
Join Date: February 17th 2012

FAQ about deafness. - February 18th 2012, 06:45 AM

So there seems to be a lot of interest in this topic, so I decided to make a thread where you guys could ask stuff you're curious about. I'll give you a little background on myself:

I was born completely deaf. The cause of my deafness is unknown (which is common). I still have feeling in my ears (not to be too graphic, but I, like almost every other human being, enjoy ear kisses and whispers). I can feel vibrations, I still have balance, and my other sense completely compensate for my loss of hearing.

The two questions I am most commonly asked are as follows. I want you guys to ask anything you're curious about... it's cool to know that people actually want to learn about something they aren't experiencing themselves! I'll do my best to answer anything anyone throws my way.


FAQ:

Do you "listen" to music?
Yes. When I was 8 or 9, I started noticing that I could feel very distinct vibrations from the bass of music (of course, I learned through my parents and friends that it was the low notes and that it was called bass. I also had to learn the difference between loud and soft vibrations... it seems like a silly thing to have to learn but I did!). As the years progressed, I really focused in and practiced a lot and I can now feel treble vibrations and percussive tones with focus. Conversation tones are harder to hear, mostly because I can't control the volume of your voice (and I can't just tell you to speak up because I can't speak myself) and middle tones just don't transfer as well for me. I'd assume that every deaf person is different. So no, I don't LISTEN to music, but I can feel it, and I do enjoy it.

Is it hard/frustrating?
At times, yes, but I've never been a quitter. It's something I was born with and have had to deal with forever. I had to LEARN that I was different through my parents and through friends. Communication is easier in this day and age because we have so many technological tools that allow me to read and write more easily and quickly. However, I still use ASL (American Sign Language) with my family and a lot of my friends. Again, I've developed a gift for lip reading as well.


RYAN.
At your service.

We grow and gain sapience and we learn what's important.

We were meant to live for so much more; have we lost ourselves somewhere we live inside?

   
8 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
ForgetMeNot9 Offline
Muggle
I've been here a while
********
 
ForgetMeNot9's Avatar
 
Name: Megan
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 1,053
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 18th 2012, 06:58 AM

I think this is an awesome idea for a thread, Ryan! I can't think of any questions I have as of right now, but if I have any I will definitely post them here



Rescue is possible. Love is the movement ♥
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Starburst. Offline
Skittles Minion.

I can't get enough
*********
 
Starburst.'s Avatar
 
Name: Sammi
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Location: IRAW.

Posts: 2,774
Join Date: July 20th 2011

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 18th 2012, 07:02 AM

I'm psyched that you decided to make a thread out of this. I can't promise that I won't still bombard you with VM's, but I'll definitely use this if I remember.






HelpLINK Mentor|Social Networking Team|Articles Team
Skittlify

   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
James Moriarty Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?
**********
 
James Moriarty's Avatar
 
Name: James Moriarty
Age: 19
Gender: Female
Location: Elsewhere

Posts: 4,157
Join Date: January 19th 2011

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 18th 2012, 01:03 PM

This is a great idea, thanks for setting this thread up! I know I've often wondered about deafness. I've never met anyone who's totally deaf and has been since birth but I do know a member of my family is and has been, so it's nice to have the option here if I ever do have any questions!


In a world of locked rooms
The man with the key is king.
And honey
You should see me in a crown
Tumblr
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Online
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Kate*'s Avatar
 
Name: Katie
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Ohio

Posts: 2,933
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 18th 2012, 07:02 PM

I've always wondered can deaf people drive? I always assumed they could because they can see, but they ask at the bmv about your hearing too.


Member Since: September 19, 2007
LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012
Associate LHO October 13, 2012














   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Mellifluous Offline
Moo with me.
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Mellifluous's Avatar
 
Name: Anna, call me Rue
Age: 17
Gender: Female
Location: Minnesota, eh

Posts: 206
Join Date: October 1st 2010

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 18th 2012, 08:28 PM

this is a really good idea!


You can find me here: http://mcrdoesmylaundry.tumblr.com/
Follow me, I'm pretty awesome


Gimme sympathy,
after all of this is gone.
Who would you rather be?
Beatles or the Rolling Stones?
Oh,seriously,
You're gonna make mistakes.
You're young.
Come on, baby.
Play me somethin'
like 'Here Comes the Sun'



   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Formerly known as Ryan.
Average Joe
***
 
CognitiveEntropy's Avatar
 
Name: Ryan
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Location: Anywhere but here.

Posts: 117
Join Date: February 17th 2012

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 18th 2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
I've always wondered can deaf people drive? I always assumed they could because they can see, but they ask at the bmv about your hearing too.
Absolutely! Insurance companies often give discounts to deaf drivers because they tend to get in less accidents than hearing drivers. This is why emergency vehicles not only have sirens but also obnoxious flashing lights.

Good question, thanks!


RYAN.
At your service.

We grow and gain sapience and we learn what's important.

We were meant to live for so much more; have we lost ourselves somewhere we live inside?

   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,502
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 19th 2012, 05:12 AM

I've taken a few courses in clinical audiology, so I have quite a few questions but I won't bombard you with all them, at least not right away:

1) How were you diagnosed? (i.e. which hearing tests and if you know, which category of hearing loss)
2) Do you use any hearing assistive devices, ranging from hearing aids, cochlear implants, brainstem implants, etc...?
3) Do your parents or any siblings have deafness or hearing loss?
4) Do your outer ears have an odd shape or narrow ear canal?
5) You mentioned other senses compensate for your hearing loss. Can you explain which senses and how they compensate?
6) Do you attend a specialized school for blindness-deafness, participate in generalized education with certain classes for improving communication, or generalized education without such classes?
7) Have you ever had times when your hearing would briefly improve then decrease once again? (there are certain hearing disorders where this occurs, one of which I wrote a brief paper on)
8) Do you find it difficult to participate in a group discussion or hear one person in an area with many loud individuals? If you are able to successfully do so, what do you do?
9) If someone talks loudly or yells, do you find it to be painful? I ask this because despite common-sense thinking, there have been many studies indicating people with hearing loss of any severity have reduced dynamic ranges with a lowered pain threshold compared to hearing-intact individuals.

That's all for now.


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
*~Skittlify~* Online
USS Salbuttcheeto.

TeenHelp Veteran
*************
 
*~Skittlify~*'s Avatar
 
Name: Dezmaid
Age: 18
Gender: Female
Location: Connecticut, USA.

Posts: 12,585
Join Date: November 16th 2010

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 19th 2012, 05:18 AM

My question has just been asked in the previous post, so depending on your answer I'll have a question for you, but I just wanted to say you're really great for answering all of these questions.






The lights are out and I barely know you
We're going up and the place is slowing down
SKITTLIFY!
  Send a message via AIM to *~Skittlify~* Send a message via MSN to *~Skittlify~* Send a message via Yahoo to *~Skittlify~*  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Formerly known as Ryan.
Average Joe
***
 
CognitiveEntropy's Avatar
 
Name: Ryan
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Location: Anywhere but here.

Posts: 117
Join Date: February 17th 2012

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 19th 2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
I've taken a few courses in clinical audiology, so I have quite a few questions but I won't bombard you with all them, at least not right away:

1) How were you diagnosed? (i.e. which hearing tests and if you know, which category of hearing loss)
2) Do you use any hearing assistive devices, ranging from hearing aids, cochlear implants, brainstem implants, etc...?
3) Do your parents or any siblings have deafness or hearing loss?
4) Do your outer ears have an odd shape or narrow ear canal?
5) You mentioned other senses compensate for your hearing loss. Can you explain which senses and how they compensate?
6) Do you attend a specialized school for blindness-deafness, participate in generalized education with certain classes for improving communication, or generalized education without such classes?
7) Have you ever had times when your hearing would briefly improve then decrease once again? (there are certain hearing disorders where this occurs, one of which I wrote a brief paper on)
8) Do you find it difficult to participate in a group discussion or hear one person in an area with many loud individuals? If you are able to successfully do so, what do you do?
9) If someone talks loudly or yells, do you find it to be painful? I ask this because despite common-sense thinking, there have been many studies indicating people with hearing loss of any severity have reduced dynamic ranges with a lowered pain threshold compared to hearing-intact individuals.

That's all for now.
1) To be honest with you, I'm not sure. I was adopted and have very little contact with my birth mother. I do know that I have sensory-neural deafness. I've been given the opportunity to decide if I want to continue with testing; I have politely declined because I don't see the use in wasting my family's money. When I support myself, I may look in to more testing.
2) I remember very little from the first seven years of my life, but I think I remember experimenting with auditory aids. I would imagine had any of them been effective I would still be using them. I apologize for not being able to adequately answer.
3) Of the biological family I know, none of them are hearing impaired.
4) Nope, I am aesthetically normal.
5) Vision becomes increasingly important to me for safety and pleasure. My sense of touch is extremely heightened, especially in regards to vibration, but I'll get to that later. I haven't discovered a significant difference in scent and taste, but I'll keep you posted.
6) Currently, generalized education, though I'm accompanied by a TA fluent in ASL.
7) Somedays it's easier to feel the vibrations than it is other days. I don't really know what it's like to hear... but some days I can pick up on more things more easily.
8) I don't hear conversational tones, so I shall omit this question.
9)It's more startling than painful, but yes, I can sense volume.

Hope that helps, thanks!


RYAN.
At your service.

We grow and gain sapience and we learn what's important.

We were meant to live for so much more; have we lost ourselves somewhere we live inside?

   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough
*********
 
Tigerlily.'s Avatar
 
Name: Cheye
Age: 18
Gender: Female
Location: Nevada

Posts: 2,059
Join Date: August 22nd 2010

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 19th 2012, 02:29 PM

This is a great idea for a thread. I have a cousin who is severely hearing impaired but with the help of a hearing aid she can somewhat pick up sounds. Okay, now for questions lolz.

1. Do you ever think about the cochlear implant as a future option for hearing assistance?
2. Did you have to try really hard to learn to lip read or did it come a little naturally?
3. What do you think of people learning ASL as another language, but don't necessarily need it for their own use in everyday life?

The last one may seem weird, but I love the fact of talking with movements, I've learned a bit and keep trying to learn more. It's fun in my opinion and just beautiful to be honest lolz.


You are worth it keep-holdin-on.tumblr.com

"It's all well and good to apologize to me but if at the end of the day I still mean so little to you, then treat me like a puppy and leave me on the street you dumped me on, don't come back to pick me up just so you can drop me on the concrete again." -Cheye Masters

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)



  Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Faith is Key

I've been here a while
********
 
Kakorrhaphiophobia's Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Location: The Iraw bookstore :)

Posts: 1,907
Join Date: July 25th 2009

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 19th 2012, 09:41 PM

Wow, awesome idea for a thread!

I used to go to a school for the deaf and blind and met a lot of deaf people there and most of the students on my bus were deaf.
One thing I really enjoyed about that experience is that I learned there is a way for blind people to talk to deaf people and it is so cool when someone is able to talk to someone else when one person can't see and the other can't here. I find ASL to be awesome and wish I knew more of it.

I have two questions as of now:
Have you ever done any sort of presentations about your deafness, if so, how has having to educate people made you feel?
If there is one thing you wish people would understand about people that are deaf, what would that be?
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Formerly known as Ryan.
Average Joe
***
 
CognitiveEntropy's Avatar
 
Name: Ryan
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Location: Anywhere but here.

Posts: 117
Join Date: February 17th 2012

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 19th 2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoraphobia♥ View Post
This is a great idea for a thread. I have a cousin who is severely hearing impaired but with the help of a hearing aid she can somewhat pick up sounds. Okay, now for questions lolz.

1. Do you ever think about the cochlear implant as a future option for hearing assistance?
2. Did you have to try really hard to learn to lip read or did it come a little naturally?
3. What do you think of people learning ASL as another language, but don't necessarily need it for their own use in everyday life?

The last one may seem weird, but I love the fact of talking with movements, I've learned a bit and keep trying to learn more. It's fun in my opinion and just beautiful to be honest lolz.
1. This is kind of answered above, but at this point, no. I'm content with who I am, enjoy the challenges of being different, and don't want to take advantage of the gracious home I've been given. Someday, though... who knows?
2. It's easy with people I spend a lot of time with, because a lot of people form words differently. Lip reading with strangers is challenging but not impossible... all depends on the circumstances!
3. I think it's cool! It's just like taking a foreign language in school... you may or may not ever need it but it just increases the amount of people you can communicate with. It's always fun to teach people new signs and show them my shortcuts.



RYAN.
At your service.

We grow and gain sapience and we learn what's important.

We were meant to live for so much more; have we lost ourselves somewhere we live inside?

   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Formerly known as Ryan.
Average Joe
***
 
CognitiveEntropy's Avatar
 
Name: Ryan
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Location: Anywhere but here.

Posts: 117
Join Date: February 17th 2012

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 19th 2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Light Storm View Post
Wow, awesome idea for a thread!

I used to go to a school for the deaf and blind and met a lot of deaf people there and most of the students on my bus were deaf.
One thing I really enjoyed about that experience is that I learned there is a way for blind people to talk to deaf people and it is so cool when someone is able to talk to someone else when one person can't see and the other can't here. I find ASL to be awesome and wish I knew more of it.

I have two questions as of now:
Have you ever done any sort of presentations about your deafness, if so, how has having to educate people made you feel?
If there is one thing you wish people would understand about people that are deaf, what would that be?
I've done a few small scale presentations and it can be pretty cool. At first, it seemed like all the kids are were laughing at me and I was frustrated and wanted to just leave... my interpreter signed to me that they were giggling because I'm "a hottie" which lightened the mood and made me laugh. It's kind of a neutral feeling for me, though, because I don't actually interact with hearing students. I might be doing a larger scale seminar using a live "chat room" style Q&A program... I'll keep ya posted on that.

I'd say the one thing I want people to know is that it isn't a curse- at least not for me. I often get a sad smile or pitying glance, and that's just silly! That would be like me discovering that you're blue eyed and then replying with "Oh, I'm so sorry!" It's something I was born with and can't change, and I like that I'm different. Another thing is that deaf doesn't necessarily equal quiet and introverted... technically, yes, I'm silent. But my personality can be the loudest in a room.



RYAN.
At your service.

We grow and gain sapience and we learn what's important.

We were meant to live for so much more; have we lost ourselves somewhere we live inside?

   
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
better-than-ecstasy's Avatar
 
Name: Rachell
Age: 17
Gender: Female
Location: With God on the corner of First and Amistad

Posts: 2,685
Join Date: July 22nd 2011

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 19th 2012, 11:59 PM

Nice thread idea. That is very cool that you can feel music. I wish I could experience music that way.


"There wouldn't be a song called 'You Found Me' had God known'How to Save a Life.'"

"Concern yourself with only your matters." -E.A.W.


R.I.P. Tatyana Sawka June 20, 1998- April 9, 2012
R.I.P. Patch Herrmann January 29, 2000- Decmeber 6, 2012
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,502
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 20th 2012, 12:20 AM

I have a few more questions that I thought of from reading your replies and other questions.

1) I know ASL is a language just like English and French but with spoken languages it's easier to interpret sarcasm via vocal intonation. How do you interpret sarcasm through ASL?
2) In one of the courses I took, we discussed deafness and the Deaf community as many Deaf individuals oppose cochlear implants for children. Not including yourself, are you opposed to young children and infants receiving cochlear implants?
3) Related to the above question, and not to come off as arrogant, are you able to produce spoken language? Additionally, do you oppose deaf children learning to speak spoken language?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.
I often get a sad smile or pitying glance, and that's just silly! That would be like me discovering that you're blue eyed and then replying with "Oh, I'm so sorry!" It's something I was born with and can't change, and I like that I'm different.
I have a comment for this rather than a question. I agree with your view and have received pitying glances not because I'm deaf. Instead, I have very poor colour vision as well as a very high pain tolerance. I remember when I was around 5 or so years old, I was playing with the cigarette lighter from the car and burnt my hands quite badly, to the point where the skin on my left thumb was dark, hardened and stiff with an imprint of the lighter. I felt nothing more than a warm object and my father grabbed it before I put it in my mouth. Last year I burnt my fingers on my left hand while cooking pasta. I was talking with a friend, wasn't paying attention and my fingers touched the hot stove-top element. At a different time, I dropped a glass spice bottle on a hot stove-top element, picked it up and the plastic label stuck to my hand while my palm and fingers on my right hand were completely swollen. I joke about it when sparring full-contact because the only chance for the opponent to win is by knock-out, give up from exhaustion or someone tells me to stop due to an apparent injury. I don't have complete loss of pain, if it's intense then I'll feel it especially at a sensitive area.


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Formerly known as Ryan.
Average Joe
***
 
CognitiveEntropy's Avatar
 
Name: Ryan
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Location: Anywhere but here.

Posts: 117
Join Date: February 17th 2012

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 20th 2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
I have a few more questions that I thought of from reading your replies and other questions.

1) I know ASL is a language just like English and French but with spoken languages it's easier to interpret sarcasm via vocal intonation. How do you interpret sarcasm through ASL?
2) In one of the courses I took, we discussed deafness and the Deaf community as many Deaf individuals oppose cochlear implants for children. Not including yourself, are you opposed to young children and infants receiving cochlear implants?
3) Related to the above question, and not to come off as arrogant, are you able to produce spoken language? Additionally, do you oppose deaf children learning to speak spoken language?
1. Interesting question! I guess there are a few different ways to signify that you're being sarcastic. The first would be facial expressions... they're vital when signing. However, if you overdo the FEs, expect to be snickered at by the deaf folks in the room... I'd compare it to the little "baby" voice that people tend to take on around children-- Just because we can't hear what you're saying doesn't mean we can't see that you look fucking ridiculous. Along the same lines, there's what are called mouth morphemes, which is like charades, basically. If you're trying to sign "Your mother drove home like a bat out of hell," you'd sign mother, drove, and then use morphemes to show that the driving was violent and crazy using your body language and face. I feel like there can be a lot lost in the translation... knowing less common signs is just like using a very large vocabulary, but there's generally not an easily accessible dictionary. For this reason, I really value my ability to read, write, and type. I suppose if worst came to worse, you could also sign your comment and add a sign like "joke/tease/sarcastic" to the end of whatever you said.
2. To me, this is a controversy similar to that of circumcision at birth. A lot of people will argue that children should have the choice to decide for themselves whether they want to be deaf or hearing. In my opinion, though, if parents decide to have the procedure done and it's successful, what's the difference? The child won't remember that he/she was deaf and won't know that they necessarily ever had a choice. However, this dismisses the risks and success rate of the surgery... on basics alone, I'd like to say that kids should get to choose, but you deal with what you're dealt.
3. I can speak, yes, but not well, and I choose not to do so often. It makes me self conscious (I get WTF looks a lot :P) and I don't find it all that exciting. I think all kids should learn it, practice it, and decide whether they want to pursue it and not be forced after their decision.

Quote:
I have a comment for this rather than a question. I agree with your view and have received pitying glances not because I'm deaf. Instead, I have very poor colour vision as well as a very high pain tolerance. I remember when I was around 5 or so years old, I was playing with the cigarette lighter from the car and burnt my hands quite badly, to the point where the skin on my left thumb was dark, hardened and stiff with an imprint of the lighter. I felt nothing more than a warm object and my father grabbed it before I put it in my mouth. Last year I burnt my fingers on my left hand while cooking pasta. I was talking with a friend, wasn't paying attention and my fingers touched the hot stove-top element. At a different time, I dropped a glass spice bottle on a hot stove-top element, picked it up and the plastic label stuck to my hand while my palm and fingers on my right hand were completely swollen. I joke about it when sparring full-contact because the only chance for the opponent to win is by knock-out, give up from exhaustion or someone tells me to stop due to an apparent injury. I don't have complete loss of pain, if it's intense then I'll feel it especially at a sensitive area.
That sounds intense! Have you had tests done with your pain tolerance?


RYAN.
At your service.

We grow and gain sapience and we learn what's important.

We were meant to live for so much more; have we lost ourselves somewhere we live inside?

   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
♥ ☠ ♥ ☠
Average Joe
***
 
☪ ERIN JUDE ☪'s Avatar
 
Name: Erin Jude
Gender: Female

Posts: 115
Join Date: August 21st 2011

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 20th 2012, 02:09 AM

Wow Ryan, you're so strong. I don't know how I would live if I couldn't hear.... I think it's amazing how you aren't bitter and you're still so nice and kind. If I have any questions I'll be sure to ask you...but all the questions I had, have already been answered I wish I was as strong as you!!

And this was a great idea BTW!!! ^_^


"May I remind you of those little things. The small gems of life. Those little sparkles of happiness in which we find solace in. At times they're hard to see but just know they're always there, just waiting for you to reach out, see them, to embrace them and to enjoy them."
  Send a message via Skype™ to ☪ ERIN JUDE ☪ 
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,502
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 20th 2012, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan. View Post
1. Interesting question! I guess there are a few different ways to signify that you're being sarcastic. The first would be facial expressions... they're vital when signing. However, if you overdo the FEs, expect to be snickered at by the deaf folks in the room... I'd compare it to the little "baby" voice that people tend to take on around children-- Just because we can't hear what you're saying doesn't mean we can't see that you look fucking ridiculous. Along the same lines, there's what are called mouth morphemes, which is like charades, basically. If you're trying to sign "Your mother drove home like a bat out of hell," you'd sign mother, drove, and then use morphemes to show that the driving was violent and crazy using your body language and face. I feel like there can be a lot lost in the translation... knowing less common signs is just like using a very large vocabulary, but there's generally not an easily accessible dictionary. For this reason, I really value my ability to read, write, and type. I suppose if worst came to worse, you could also sign your comment and add a sign like "joke/tease/sarcastic" to the end of whatever you said.
Interesting. If someone signed verbatim, "your mother drove home like a bat out of hell", would it be interpreted the same as someone signing and using mouth morphemes you mentioned? Sort of like a factual statement versus the sarcastic statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan. View Post
3. I can speak, yes, but not well, and I choose not to do so often. It makes me self conscious (I get WTF looks a lot :P) and I don't find it all that exciting. I think all kids should learn it, practice it, and decide whether they want to pursue it and not be forced after their decision.
Do you speak verbally to people you know very well, such as friends and family, even if they know ASL?

On a different note, I know there are different translations for sign-language, such as French Sign Language. If someone signed to you in FSL, could you understand any of it or is it too distinct from ASL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan. View Post
That sounds intense! Have you had tests done with your pain tolerance?
I've had my reflexes tested and they're normal for my knees but reduced in the elbows, meaning the doctor has to hit a lot harder otherwise my arm doesn't move. I've had pressure points tested and I feel there's force being applied and feel a remote sense of pain if it's done hard enough but on a scale of 0-10 (10 being the excrutiating), it'd be a 0.5-1. For example, if someone presses at my elbow pressure point, I'll feel their hand and fingers on my skin but no pain. When they press very hard, I may feel a slight tingle of pain but it's not even to the point of causing discomfort. Sort of like when you're given lidocaine injections for a cavity filling on your tooth, you can feel your finger touching your face but there's no pain. Similarly, if my wrists are bent, eventually I feel the pain but it's not a lot at all. I've also had pin pricks and again I feel the pressure applied but no pain.


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Faith is Key

I've been here a while
********
 
Kakorrhaphiophobia's Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Location: The Iraw bookstore :)

Posts: 1,907
Join Date: July 25th 2009

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 20th 2012, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan. View Post
I've done a few small scale presentations and it can be pretty cool. At first, it seemed like all the kids are were laughing at me and I was frustrated and wanted to just leave... my interpreter signed to me that they were giggling because I'm "a hottie" which lightened the mood and made me laugh. It's kind of a neutral feeling for me, though, because I don't actually interact with hearing students. I might be doing a larger scale seminar using a live "chat room" style Q&A program... I'll keep ya posted on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan. View Post

I'd say the one thing I want people to know is that it isn't a curse- at least not for me. I often get a sad smile or pitying glance, and that's just silly! That would be like me discovering that you're blue eyed and then replying with "Oh, I'm so sorry!" It's something I was born with and can't change, and I like that I'm different. Another thing is that deaf doesn't necessarily equal quiet and introverted... technically, yes, I'm silent. But my personality can be the loudest in a room.

Lol, nice! I get a bit nervous about people laughing too because I can't see them so I sometimes think they are laughing at me.
I love your view on your disability, that's how I view things too. I was born the way I am and I know it can't be changed and I know nothing different which doesn't really bother me, well, it does only when people act a bit weird towards me. After I think to myself though that the world isn't as educated about disabilities as they should be and I think of how unfortunate there is not some mandatory class for students to take throughout there education that teaches them about different types of disabilities and how to interact with people with different types of disabilities.
And, lastly, I have a question for you. Something I have always wondered: How does TTY work?

Last edited by Kakorrhaphiophobia; February 20th 2012 at 03:57 AM.
   
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Formerly known as Ryan.
Average Joe
***
 
CognitiveEntropy's Avatar
 
Name: Ryan
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Location: Anywhere but here.

Posts: 117
Join Date: February 17th 2012

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 21st 2012, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
Interesting. If someone signed verbatim, "your mother drove home like a bat out of hell", would it be interpreted the same as someone signing and using mouth morphemes you mentioned? Sort of like a factual statement versus the sarcastic statement.
I guess I can really only speak from my personal experience, but it's rare that you actually sign every word in a phrase. To say "your mother drove like a bat out of hell" I would sign "your" "mother" "drove" "bat" and probably just "hell" ... there's a sign for from, but you usually skip nonverb/noun words unless they're vital because you want to keep up with conversation and not have to interpret every word. So, to answer your question directly, you would probably get a more accurate idea if you did both. I'm sorry if that doesn't really answer the question... I can't seem to concentrate worth shit tonight.

Quote:
Do you speak verbally to people you know very well, such as friends and family, even if they know ASL?
I generally don't speak much at all, unless I'm specifically asked to.

Quote:
On a different note, I know there are different translations for sign-language, such as French Sign Language. If someone signed to you in FSL, could you understand any of it or is it too distinct from ASL?
I've only really experienced ASL and BSL, and they're different but pretty similar. I'd imagine that other languages are generally the same.

(Sorry for my untimely response and vagueness... struggling with attention span the past few days for some reason.)


RYAN.
At your service.

We grow and gain sapience and we learn what's important.

We were meant to live for so much more; have we lost ourselves somewhere we live inside?

   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Formerly known as Ryan.
Average Joe
***
 
CognitiveEntropy's Avatar
 
Name: Ryan
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Location: Anywhere but here.

Posts: 117
Join Date: February 17th 2012

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 21st 2012, 04:24 AM

Quote:
And, lastly, I have a question for you. Something I have always wondered: How does TTY work?
TTY has become kind of obsolete, at least for me. It's a way for deaf people to call each other using words, but it's really not much different than the internet or texting. The one place I can see it being useful is in case of an emergency, you can use it to "call" 911.



RYAN.
At your service.

We grow and gain sapience and we learn what's important.

We were meant to live for so much more; have we lost ourselves somewhere we live inside?

   
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
BDF's Avatar
 
Name: BDF
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: Poland at the moment

Posts: 2,116
Join Date: January 28th 2009

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 21st 2012, 05:59 AM

Awesome thread. I don't think I've ever said this. Genuinely one of the best on this forum.


If you've got some spare time, read this:

http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f40-s...-d/#post631229

But don't if you're easily triggered. If you're not easily triggered then go ahead.


   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
ThornedRose Offline
You're scrumdiddlyumptious!
Average Joe
***
 
ThornedRose's Avatar
 
Name: Sydney
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Location: Timbuktu :o

Posts: 143
Join Date: November 27th 2011

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 21st 2012, 06:09 AM

Woah! Neato thread. I've always wondered what it was like to be deaf. All my questions have been answered, but if I think of any I'll be sure to ask.


Enjoy the little things in life, for someday you will realize they were the big things.
  Send a message via Yahoo to ThornedRose  
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Faith is Key

I've been here a while
********
 
Kakorrhaphiophobia's Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Location: The Iraw bookstore :)

Posts: 1,907
Join Date: July 25th 2009

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 21st 2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan. View Post
TTY has become kind of obsolete, at least for me. It's a way for deaf people to call each other using words, but it's really not much different than the internet or texting. The one place I can see it being useful is in case of an emergency, you can use it to "call" 911.


Oh, cool, thanks.
   
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Foreveralways Offline
Forever and alway<3
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Foreveralways's Avatar
 
Name: M:)
Gender: Female
Location: Middle of no where:)

Posts: 257
Join Date: January 6th 2011

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 22nd 2012, 03:56 AM

Do you like that you can focus on one thing much eaiser cause you dont have to listen to all the distractions or would you rather have it so you can hear them?


I love you<3 I'm here for you!! PM me or VM me for anything you need!!!STAY STRONG!
TUMBLR<3 follow me
   
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Amber Offline
Pro-Choice

Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Amber's Avatar
 
Name: Amber
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: Indiana

Posts: 695
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 22nd 2012, 05:48 PM

While I was taking classes in college we were assigned to read a book called For Hearing People Only and the book made it sound like Deaf people don't want Hearing people to learn sign because they don't feel like we should be part of them, if that makes sense. I've always wondered if that were true. Many Deaf people I have signed with usually love communicating back and forth with the Hearing students (at coffee houses and ASL game nights at school, etc.)



   
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while
********
 
NevermindMe's Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 1,818
Join Date: March 8th 2011

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 23rd 2012, 02:37 AM

I had to write an list of questions on deafness for school as a part of sign language class and then answer them. I'm proud to say I used this thread as a source to answer some of the questions I had. I've cited it in my bibliography.

- Justin



"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Formerly known as Ryan.
Average Joe
***
 
CognitiveEntropy's Avatar
 
Name: Ryan
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Location: Anywhere but here.

Posts: 117
Join Date: February 17th 2012

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 23rd 2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here.with.you View Post
Do you like that you can focus on one thing much eaiser cause you dont have to listen to all the distractions or would you rather have it so you can hear them?

Well, I've never had that comparison, so I can't say what's easier, but I think it'd be cool to hear... While I'm happy with who I am, I'm not naive to the fact that I am disabled and that there are things that I might never experience. But, you're right; I already have trouble concentrating, so it's probably for the best anyway!

Good question!


RYAN.
At your service.

We grow and gain sapience and we learn what's important.

We were meant to live for so much more; have we lost ourselves somewhere we live inside?

   
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Formerly known as Ryan.
Average Joe
***
 
CognitiveEntropy's Avatar
 
Name: Ryan
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Location: Anywhere but here.

Posts: 117
Join Date: February 17th 2012

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 23rd 2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
While I was taking classes in college we were assigned to read a book called For Hearing People Only and the book made it sound like Deaf people don't want Hearing people to learn sign because they don't feel like we should be part of them, if that makes sense. I've always wondered if that were true. Many Deaf people I have signed with usually love communicating back and forth with the Hearing students (at coffee houses and ASL game nights at school, etc.)
I mean, I can understand why people would feel that way... it's kind of like hearing people have their own language that we're excluded from, why shouldn't we have ours? But that's selfish and childish in my opinion. Like you said, I love being able to communicate with hearing people. Closed-mindedness is just an excuse to be antisocial!


RYAN.
At your service.

We grow and gain sapience and we learn what's important.

We were meant to live for so much more; have we lost ourselves somewhere we live inside?

   
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
ARTPOP Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
ARTPOP's Avatar
 
Name: :)
Gender: Female
Location: Everywhere

Posts: 1,329
Join Date: September 9th 2010

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 27th 2012, 01:45 PM

Hiya!

Ok, awkward questions. But you were born deaf, so before you knew how to write etc, what language did you think in?

I know, awk




I'm a superstar because I do pageants!
   
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
ARTPOP Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
ARTPOP's Avatar
 
Name: :)
Gender: Female
Location: Everywhere

Posts: 1,329
Join Date: September 9th 2010

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 27th 2012, 01:48 PM

Additionally, who thinks we should Sticky this? And the FAQ about blindness?




I'm a superstar because I do pageants!
   
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Formerly known as Ryan.
Average Joe
***
 
CognitiveEntropy's Avatar
 
Name: Ryan
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Location: Anywhere but here.

Posts: 117
Join Date: February 17th 2012

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 27th 2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn ♥✿ View Post

Ok, awkward questions. But you were born deaf, so before you knew how to write etc, what language did you think in?
Oh wow, good question! I can't remember exactly when I learned to read/write, but I think my thoughts were mostly pictures or situational memory... if that makes sense. It's like recalling a scene out of a movie or from your own personal life. I also started learning sign language at a young age to communicate with my mother. Touch was an important sensation, too... if you've ever read Siddhartha, the theme is believed to be that one cannot learn anything but through experience.

By the way, you should answer any of these questions you can, as well! to give another side of deafness.


RYAN.
At your service.

We grow and gain sapience and we learn what's important.

We were meant to live for so much more; have we lost ourselves somewhere we live inside?

   
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
ARTPOP Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
ARTPOP's Avatar
 
Name: :)
Gender: Female
Location: Everywhere

Posts: 1,329
Join Date: September 9th 2010

Re: FAQ about deafness. - February 28th 2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan. View Post
By the way, you should answer any of these questions you can, as well! to give another side of deafness.
I don't want to intrude, this is YOUR thread

And interesting, the thinking question is kinda a social taboo No one wants to ask for fear of offending

x




I'm a superstar because I do pageants!
   
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
Faith is Key

I've been here a while
********
 
Kakorrhaphiophobia's Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Location: The Iraw bookstore :)

Posts: 1,907
Join Date: July 25th 2009

Re: FAQ about deafness. - March 3rd 2012, 08:58 PM

Hi,

I have another question.
What is it like when you enter a store by yourself or have to communicate with people that do not know sign language?
How would you talk to a cashier for example?
I ask this because with me not being able to see, I have gone in to places before and not known if there is a cashier at a store counter until they say something to me or, if I am with people, them telling me the person is there.
Sometimes they expect you to communicate with them first.
   
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
Formerly known as Ryan.
Average Joe
***
 
CognitiveEntropy's Avatar
 
Name: Ryan
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Location: Anywhere but here.

Posts: 117
Join Date: February 17th 2012

Re: FAQ about deafness. - March 3rd 2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Light Storm View Post

What is it like when you enter a store by yourself or have to communicate with people that do not know sign language?
How would you talk to a cashier for example?
Well... I think I have the advantage here because I can see if there's someone there. Usually, I can read lips well enough to get by in just a store, but if not, I keep a little card in my wallet that I show them. It's main purpose is in case of being pulled over, I think. I dunno, I just do what I'm told


RYAN.
At your service.

We grow and gain sapience and we learn what's important.

We were meant to live for so much more; have we lost ourselves somewhere we live inside?

   
  (#37 (permalink)) Old
Member
Average Joe
***
 
Detective GokuMustang's Avatar
 
Name: Dylan
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: Mass

Posts: 123
Join Date: March 3rd 2012

Re: FAQ about deafness. - March 3rd 2012, 11:17 PM

This might be a dumb one, but I've heard that Ears help with the balance of your body. Like, they help you stand up straight and not fall over. Does your deafness affect this at all?
   
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
Formerly known as Ryan.
Average Joe
***
 
CognitiveEntropy's Avatar
 
Name: Ryan
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Location: Anywhere but here.

Posts: 117
Join Date: February 17th 2012

Re: FAQ about deafness. - March 4th 2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HxC Dylan View Post
This might be a dumb one, but I've heard that Ears help with the balance of your body. Like, they help you stand up straight and not fall over. Does your deafness affect this at all?
Not dumb. It doesn't for me personally because my problem is with the nerves and the way my brain interprets the vibrations that my ears pick up. There's "water" in the ear that helps you balance- some deaf people have damage to the parts that hold that water and it can most definitely impact their balance.


RYAN.
At your service.

We grow and gain sapience and we learn what's important.

We were meant to live for so much more; have we lost ourselves somewhere we live inside?

   
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
Member
Average Joe
***
 
Detective GokuMustang's Avatar
 
Name: Dylan
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: Mass

Posts: 123
Join Date: March 3rd 2012

Re: FAQ about deafness. - March 4th 2012, 04:04 AM

Huh. Learn something everyday.
   
  (#40 (permalink)) Old
Arie. Offline
Olive you :D
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Arie.'s Avatar
 
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: FLORIDA :]

Posts: 377
Join Date: January 18th 2009

Re: FAQ about deafness. - March 4th 2012, 04:10 AM

This is so thoughtful and a good idea of you,Ryan to do so.I myself have a few close deaf friends,I taught myself to communicate using sign language and it's been 10 years (can't imagine it's been that long) when I first started and I love and enjoy every minute learning and I as well developed learning to read lips so that was quite an experience for me but nonetheless,I had fun.Any quests.Don't hesitate to ask!


I hope you have the strength to start all over again.- F.Scott Fitzgerald
  Send a message via MSN to Arie.  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
deafness, faq

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All material copyright 1998-2014, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.