TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough
*********
 
Philomath's Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Location: Where the books are

Posts: 2,283
Blog Entries: 135
Join Date: July 25th 2009

FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 20th 2012, 03:31 AM

Note: I stole the FAQ idea from Ryan.
I've actually been thinking about posting a thread about visual impairment and blindness but I've never really had the courage to or something, not really sure but seeing someone else being able to post about there disability and open up to people asking questions gave me this idea and was the inspiration I needed.


So here goes...


The two most common questions I get asked are:

1. Will you ever get a guide dog and when?

and 2. Have you been blind all your life?

To answer the first question: This is something I have thought about for a very long time and I have decided that I most likely will get a guide dog at some point in my life but I would like to after my first year or two of college. They are very nice dogs and fun to work with, I just feel that a high school setting is not the place for them.

To answer the second question: I was born really prematurely so my eyes weren't fully developed. My actual diagnosis is called Retenopothy of Prematurity (ROP)


"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Formerly known as Ryan.
Average Joe
***
 
CognitiveEntropy's Avatar
 
Name: Ryan
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Location: Anywhere but here.

Posts: 115
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: February 17th 2012

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 20th 2012, 04:37 AM

okay, two questions.

1. Do you feel like you're missing out on things that you can't see?
2. Do you ever feel faces to admire their structure?


RYAN.
At your service.

We grow and gain sapience and we learn what's important.

We were meant to live for so much more; have we lost ourselves somewhere we live inside?

   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?
**********
 
Ambedo.'s Avatar
 
Name: Sam
Age: 25
Gender: Female

Posts: 3,569
Blog Entries: 26
Join Date: July 19th 2011

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 20th 2012, 06:10 AM

Have you ever had anyone try to describe your surroundings? If you have, are you able to form a mental picture off of their description, even though you've never seen it?


wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
ForgetMeNot9 Offline
Muggle
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
ForgetMeNot9's Avatar
 
Name: Megan
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 944
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 20th 2012, 06:13 AM

I have two questions.

1. Can you still sense a little light or shadows?
2. What would you say is your greatest sense?



Rescue is possible. Love is the movement ♥
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 20th 2012, 06:18 AM

I'll stick with the pattern and ask only 2 questions.

1) I recall from one of my courses, Braille text can be produced by a specialized type-writer that imprints the bumps on paper. Do you use this method or another method to take notes in class or to write a quick note?
2) Are you completely blind or can some items be seen? Additionally, how are you able to read the content on TH?


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough
*********
 
Philomath's Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Location: Where the books are

Posts: 2,283
Blog Entries: 135
Join Date: July 25th 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 20th 2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan. View Post
okay, two questions.

1. Do you feel like you're missing out on things that you can't see?
2. Do you ever feel faces to admire their structure?
1. Yes, a lot of what goes on in the world is related to vision.
However, I do ask people as much as I can to describe things to me because I should be able to know as much of what is around me as they do.
I also find not being able to see is a reason I am not really able to engage in conversation with most people my age because most of the discussions revolve around styles, what someone is wearing or how someone looks.
2. No, I don't find outward appearance something of huge importance to me or admire it.
I understand the concept that everyone looks different but I do not like the idea of feeling faces to examine the differences. I have always had this view, my family has tried forever to get me to feel their faces but I never will.
I admire people for who they are and how they treat people, not by there appearance.


"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough
*********
 
Philomath's Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Location: Where the books are

Posts: 2,283
Blog Entries: 135
Join Date: July 25th 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 20th 2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris. ♥ View Post
Have you ever had anyone try to describe your surroundings? If you have, are you able to form a mental picture off of their description, even though you've never seen it?

Awesome question!
I love descriptions! I try to have people describe things to me most of the time. i do sort of form a mental picture of things but for me to explain what the pictures I form look like is practically impossible because I can't figure out if what I see looks like anything the people around me would know.


"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough
*********
 
Philomath's Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Location: Where the books are

Posts: 2,283
Blog Entries: 135
Join Date: July 25th 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 20th 2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgetMeNot9 View Post
I have two questions.

1. Can you still sense a little light or shadows?
2. What would you say is your greatest sense?
1. No, I can't see anything.
2. Probably my hearing.
I rely on it so much that it compensates for my lack of sight.


"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough
*********
 
Philomath's Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Location: Where the books are

Posts: 2,283
Blog Entries: 135
Join Date: July 25th 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 20th 2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
I'll stick with the pattern and ask only 2 questions.

1) I recall from one of my courses, Braille text can be produced by a specialized type-writer that imprints the bumps on paper. Do you use this method or another method to take notes in class or to write a quick note?
2) Are you completely blind or can some items be seen? Additionally, how are you able to read the content on TH?

1. Yes, I do use that method. The typewriter is called a Braille Writer. I only use this for Math however so less frequently than I used to.
I use a BrailleNote Apex to take notes and do my homework. If you want to read about it or see what it looks like you can go here.
The one I have is the 32 cell BT version, the one that has eight keys and does not look like a laptop keyboard.
2. I am completely blind. I read the content on TH using text to speech programs. On my iPhone, I use VoiceOver (I only use that when I just want to view things, I type really slowly on there so I mostly log on with the laptop) and on my laptop I use a program called JAWS. To see about JAWS, you can go here. JAWS can read just about everything here on TH except for the chat room because it is in java.


"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 20th 2012, 04:53 PM

Again 2 questions:

1. Given that much of the world involves visual and auditory cues, do you think it would be more difficult and more of a struggle to be blind or deaf?

2. At campus, there are several blind people and each use a specialized cane with a ball on the end to feel what is 1-2 feet ahead of them. I've also read but never seen people use echolocation. Do you use echolocation and/or the exploring cane? Were they difficult to learn and if you use both, which was more difficult to learn?


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough
*********
 
Philomath's Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Location: Where the books are

Posts: 2,283
Blog Entries: 135
Join Date: July 25th 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 20th 2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
Again 2 questions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post

1. Given that much of the world involves visual and auditory cues, do you think it would be more difficult and more of a struggle to be blind or deaf?

2. At campus, there are several blind people and each use a specialized cane with a ball on the end to feel what is 1-2 feet ahead of them. I've also read but never seen people use echolocation. Do you use echolocation and/or the exploring cane? Were they difficult to learn and if you use both, which was more difficult to learn?
1. I think they both have there challenges and that neither is more "difficult" than the other, they are both just different things people live without and require different adaptations and ways of getting used to the world.
If someone is from birth blind and someone is from birth deaf, they would not know any different so naturally the person would learn to do things the way they have to without the sense they lack.
In both cases, parts of the world around someone are missed and they both have different positives and negatives.
In my opinion, being deaf would be really difficult for me because I am used to being blind but if I was born deaf instead of blind then I would probably say the opposite.

2. I just use the cane. No one should rely solely on echo location, while it can detect objects, it can not tell you if there is a pothole on the side of a road and it that I know of does not show motorists or other pedestrians that you are blind so they may not be as aware of you as they should be and follow proper traffic laws, such as giving blind people the right of way.
I do notice objects around me by echoes but it's not echo location because I do not make clicking sounds, I use it for spacial awareness. I can find an open door because the tapping sound of my cane changes and because the amount of space next to me changes.
I hope that answers your question, if not, let me know.


"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Last edited by Philomath; February 20th 2012 at 05:37 PM.
   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Kate*'s Avatar
 
Name: Katie
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Location: Ohio

Posts: 4,633
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 20th 2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
Again 2 questions:

1. Given that much of the world involves visual and auditory cues, do you think it would be more difficult and more of a struggle to be blind or deaf?
As someone with my own set of vision problems that haven't caused blindness, I can answer this question too.

In terms of being born either blind or deaf I agree with the anser given because the person wouldn't know better.

As someone who was born with both senses and who may lose my sight someday (but hopefully won't) I've heard it's easier to go blind than it is to go deaf. I don't know who said that and I think it's easier to go deaf because you can still drive (thanks Ryan for answering that),read, write, and get around without running into things. If you go blind you can't drive, you have to relearn how to navigate the world without sight, and if you don't know braile you're illiterate until you learn it. I have a whole set of my own vison problems, if you have any questions for me, feel free to ask them. Sorry to hijack this thread, but you beat me to making one and I don't want to be redundant


Member Since: September 19, 2007
LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough
*********
 
Philomath's Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Location: Where the books are

Posts: 2,283
Blog Entries: 135
Join Date: July 25th 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 20th 2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post

As someone with my own set of vision problems that haven't caused blindness, I can answer this question too.

In terms of being born either blind or deaf I agree with the anser given because the person wouldn't know better.

As someone who was born with both senses and who may lose my sight someday (but hopefully won't) I've heard it's easier to go blind than it is to go deaf. I don't know who said that and I think it's easier to go deaf because you can still drive (thanks Ryan for answering that),read, write, and get around without running into things. If you go blind you can't drive, you have to relearn how to navigate the world without sight, and if you don't know braile you're illiterate until you learn it. I have a whole set of my own vison problems, if you have any questions for me, feel free to ask them. Sorry to hijack this thread, but you beat me to making one and I don't want to be redundant
It is okay. You aren't hijacking anything, you would be a helpful person to reply to because you have the experience of having some vision whereas, I have the experience of having none.
And just out of curiosity, which eye condition do you have?


"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Kate*'s Avatar
 
Name: Katie
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Location: Ohio

Posts: 4,633
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 20th 2012, 06:43 PM

I was born prematurely and being on the ventilator caused optic nerve atrophy, which means that I'm losing my optic nerves, I'm lucky that it's happening very slowly, but once the nerves are gone my vision cannot be restored (we're hoping that I never lose it completly). I'm also genetically screwed because I am near-sighted and have almost no depth perception. My mom doesn't have any and I say I have just enough to injure myself because I can't tell you how many times I've fallen off of curbs and tripped over uneven sidewalks. I also had eye crossing which I had surgically corrected about 7 years ago and have mild color blindness, night blindness, and was diagnosed with glaucoma a few years ago. My eye doctor also mentioned an astigmatism that corrected itself at one point and he never even told me I had it.

Visually I'm considered extremely high functioning because I'm corrected to somewhere between 20/40 and 20/60. As a reference you're considered visually impaired at 20/70 and legally blind at anything worse than 20/200.


Member Since: September 19, 2007
LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
   
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough
*********
 
Philomath's Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Location: Where the books are

Posts: 2,283
Blog Entries: 135
Join Date: July 25th 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 20th 2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
I was born prematurely and being on the ventilator caused optic nerve atrophy, which means that I'm losing my optic nerves, I'm lucky that it's happening very slowly, but once the nerves are gone my vision cannot be restored (we're hoping that I never lose it completly). I'm also genetically screwed because I am near-sighted and have almost no depth perception. My mom doesn't have any and I say I have just enough to injure myself because I can't tell you how many times I've fallen off of curbs and tripped over uneven sidewalks. I also had eye crossing which I had surgically corrected about 7 years ago and have mild color blindness, night blindness, and was diagnosed with glaucoma a few years ago. My eye doctor also mentioned an astigmatism that corrected itself at one point and he never even told me I had it.

Visually I'm considered extremely high functioning because I'm corrected to somewhere between 20/40 and 20/60. As a reference you're considered visually impaired at 20/70 and legally blind at anything worse than 20/200.
Wow, that sounds like a tough situation to be in.
Do you use a cane at all to help you?
I have retenopothy of Prematurity. Basically, I was born so early that my eyes didn't have the chance to develop and the oxygen I was given was so much that it damaged the ability for my retina to develop.


"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Kate*'s Avatar
 
Name: Katie
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Location: Ohio

Posts: 4,633
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 20th 2012, 07:15 PM

I don't use a cane and the option has never been proposed to me, my guess is that I see too well to qualify for one.


Member Since: September 19, 2007
LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough
*********
 
Philomath's Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Location: Where the books are

Posts: 2,283
Blog Entries: 135
Join Date: July 25th 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 20th 2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
I don't use a cane and the option has never been proposed to me, my guess is that I see too well to qualify for one.
If you would find one useful, you could contact the National Federation of the Blind. They have a link on their site for free canes, here.


"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Kate*'s Avatar
 
Name: Katie
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Location: Ohio

Posts: 4,633
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 20th 2012, 11:33 PM

Thanks, but I don't think I need one, and I don't qualify as visually impaired. I'm unfortunately in the catagory of accomodations/devices might be nice sometimes, but I see too well to need them right now and hope that never changes because I don't want things to get any worse.


Member Since: September 19, 2007
LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
   
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough
*********
 
Philomath's Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Location: Where the books are

Posts: 2,283
Blog Entries: 135
Join Date: July 25th 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 21st 2012, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
Thanks, but I don't think I need one, and I don't qualify as visually impaired. I'm unfortunately in the catagory of accomodations/devices might be nice sometimes, but I see too well to need them right now and hope that never changes because I don't want things to get any worse.

I hope that too.


"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
   
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
will was here Offline
You're stronger than you think
Average Joe
***
 
will was here's Avatar
 
Name: Will!
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Posts: 102
Join Date: August 15th 2010

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 25th 2012, 04:25 AM

Just putting it out there that i in fact have congenital catteracts and am legally blind


flower
hello my heart where have you been
I missed you when you left
you ran away with that senseless boy
and left me dim and dry
like a faded flower in the mist

Come back my heart. you have a home here
In this place that is my soul
I want to feel like whole again. don't waste your time with him

Have faith my heart. You'll get a second chance
come back to me and you will not be alone
  Send a message via AIM to will was here  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough
*********
 
Philomath's Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Location: Where the books are

Posts: 2,283
Blog Entries: 135
Join Date: July 25th 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 25th 2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will was here View Post
Just putting it out there that i in fact have congenital catteracts and am legally blind


And you are awesome and would be another great person to answer questions in this thread as well.


"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
A glitch in the system.

TeenHelp Addict
************
 
Fading Light.'s Avatar
 
Gender: 404
Location: Kepler

Posts: 9,211
Blog Entries: 51
Join Date: September 20th 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 25th 2012, 09:48 AM

I have a question too, and I hope it makes sense/isn't annoying or anything.
If you've been blind since birth, can you tell the difference between colours? One time in class my teacher did an exercise where we were given an object and told to describe it how we would to a blind person. A lot of us started out by saying 'It's [colour]' but the teacher pointed out that blind people mightn't be able to imagine that. So if someone were to say a colour, would you be able to actually see it in your head, or would you guess what it is, or what?
Did that make sense at all?


if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.
   
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough
*********
 
Philomath's Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Location: Where the books are

Posts: 2,283
Blog Entries: 135
Join Date: July 25th 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 26th 2012, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhe. View Post
I have a question too, and I hope it makes sense/isn't annoying or anything.
If you've been blind since birth, can you tell the difference between colours? One time in class my teacher did an exercise where we were given an object and told to describe it how we would to a blind person. A lot of us started out by saying 'It's [colour]' but the teacher pointed out that blind people mightn't be able to imagine that. So if someone were to say a colour, would you be able to actually see it in your head, or would you guess what it is, or what?
Did that make sense at all?


That makes complete sense.
I cannot tell the difference between colors really, I just associate them with either a feeling, mood or something.
I know the colors of quite a few things because people tell me them. So when I am told something is a certain color, I may think it is nice or pretty because of other things I associate in my head with that color or I might think it is plain and ugly.
Like if I was told a shirt was pink, my first thought would be strawberries, which are sweet and I love them, hahahaha, so I tend to think pink is a nice, sort of bright but not extremely bright like yellow or orange, but kind of in the middle between bright and dark. (Not sure on the being in the middle of dark and light, so please correct me if I am wrong on it not being to bright or to dark)
Let me know if that answer makes sense.


"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
   
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Everglow.'s Avatar
 
Name: Hollie
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: London

Posts: 4,751
Blog Entries: 718
Join Date: January 19th 2011

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 26th 2012, 02:01 PM

I have a question.
In sixth form my teacher told me about this person who was blind and got her vision back. When she was blind her only way of exploring the world was to be up close to things and explore each part individually. She'd have to, for example, touch someones face to tell them apart from someone else.
Is this the same for you? If it is, is it hard to learn how to actually tell one person from another?

I don't know how good a question that is, but it was something that I found interesting when I was told.


❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

   
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough
*********
 
Philomath's Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Location: Where the books are

Posts: 2,283
Blog Entries: 135
Join Date: July 25th 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 26th 2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverie. View Post
I have a question.
In sixth form my teacher told me about this person who was blind and got her vision back. When she was blind her only way of exploring the world was to be up close to things and explore each part individually. She'd have to, for example, touch someones face to tell them apart from someone else.
Is this the same for you? If it is, is it hard to learn how to actually tell one person from another?

I don't know how good a question that is, but it was something that I found interesting when I was told.
That is a really good question.
I tell the difference between people by their voice. I do not like feeling faces.


"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
   
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Child and Youth Care Worker
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Arcenciel's Avatar
 
Name: Jen
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: IRAW!

Posts: 999
Blog Entries: 4
Join Date: March 21st 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 26th 2012, 06:34 PM

I have a question:

That braillenote thing that you posted a link to. What exactly does it do?

oh, also, is the voice that your computer voice thing annoying or is it awesome? Can you choose the accent or if it should be a male/female voice? Can you choose from a variety?

If you could choose not to be blind, would you ?
   
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough
*********
 
Philomath's Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Location: Where the books are

Posts: 2,283
Blog Entries: 135
Join Date: July 25th 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 26th 2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audacious View Post
I have a question:

That braillenote thing that you posted a link to. What exactly does it do?

oh, also, is the voice that your computer voice thing annoying or is it awesome? Can you choose the accent or if it should be a male/female voice? Can you choose from a variety?

If you could choose not to be blind, would you ?

It is basically a laptop for blind people. It has it's own email program (keymail), wordprocessor (Keyword), a planner, internet, adress list, book reader (keybook) and it can do so many things.
I can go online with it by using wi-fi and I can email my homework that I do in the word processor to my teachers right from it. That is very nice because it saves the time required to send the files through my regular laptop.
I also listen to audio books on it and can read braille files.
It does a ton of other things but those are the features I use the most.

The speech program I use, JAWS, does have what most people would consider to be an annoying voice and I thought it was annoying when i first started to use JAWS but now I have gotten really used to the voice.

Yes, I can change the voices and I do from time to time because I hate listening to the same voice over and over again. I can choose from American, Australian and british English.
There are other language voices I can choose but I don't choose them because they sound really weird reading English.
Also, some voices sound more human than others, they still sound robotic but some are better than others. Like the Australian and British English voices pronounce things better than the American English one.

No, I wouldn't choose to see. Yes, do I ever hate the fact I can't enjoy the things people can see, the things I miss without sight, the fact that so much of the world is visual and that I only can wonder what the things around me truly look like? Of course at times I do. But the thing is, this is something I have always known, I have learned to live life without my sight and I wouldn't even know what I would do if I had sight.
Not having sight makes me different than everyone else in a good way I think, I don't really judge people and I don't care about outward appearance, two things that society does way to much of.


"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
   
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Child and Youth Care Worker
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Arcenciel's Avatar
 
Name: Jen
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: IRAW!

Posts: 999
Blog Entries: 4
Join Date: March 21st 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 26th 2012, 07:59 PM

Okay, the braillenote. How do you read braille on it? Like, do the little bumps appear out of nowhere? sorry, it really interests me and I can't wrap my head around it haha. It also has things on it that are like...long finger things...what is that for? lol. Sorry. I'm being a pain in the butt.
   
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough
*********
 
udontno's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda Kate
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: VA, USA

Posts: 3,039
Blog Entries: 24
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 26th 2012, 10:32 PM

I have a question... one of my friends works at a school for the deaf and the blind. It is a state school that is partially residential (the students go to the school during the week, sleep there, and go home on the weekends). How were you educated? Did you go to a special school or did you go to a regular school?


--A
   
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
ARTPOP Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
ARTPOP's Avatar
 
Name: :)
Gender: Female
Location: Everywhere

Posts: 1,283
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: September 9th 2010

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 28th 2012, 09:09 AM

HI!

I was asking Ryan an awkward question so it's your turn

What do you dream? . What i'm wondering is you've never seen people, places, animals, colour etc. So what do your dreams consist of please?

x




I'm a superstar because I do pageants!
   
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
A glitch in the system.

TeenHelp Addict
************
 
Fading Light.'s Avatar
 
Gender: 404
Location: Kepler

Posts: 9,211
Blog Entries: 51
Join Date: September 20th 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 28th 2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Light Storm View Post
That makes complete sense.
I cannot tell the difference between colors really, I just associate them with either a feeling, mood or something.
I know the colors of quite a few things because people tell me them. So when I am told something is a certain color, I may think it is nice or pretty because of other things I associate in my head with that color or I might think it is plain and ugly.
Like if I was told a shirt was pink, my first thought would be strawberries, which are sweet and I love them, hahahaha, so I tend to think pink is a nice, sort of bright but not extremely bright like yellow or orange, but kind of in the middle between bright and dark. (Not sure on the being in the middle of dark and light, so please correct me if I am wrong on it not being to bright or to dark)
Let me know if that answer makes sense.
Ahh, that makes a lot of sense. That's really interesting. Thanks for answering.


if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.
   
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough
*********
 
Tigerlily.'s Avatar
 
Name: Cheye
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Location: Nevada

Posts: 2,054
Blog Entries: 27
Join Date: August 22nd 2010

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 29th 2012, 04:21 AM

Okay here's a question for either or both of you. What advice would you give to someone who is slowly losing their vision, and may well be blind in their mid 20's to mid 30's? I ask because I'm 15 and I've had terrible eye sight since I was 6 or so. It just gets worse every year, even with glasses, and even with glasses I never see as well as others. Idk my exact prescription but if I find it, then I'll get back to you with that.


Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.


HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Kate*'s Avatar
 
Name: Katie
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Location: Ohio

Posts: 4,633
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - February 29th 2012, 05:35 AM

Cheye, as someone who may lose their sight someday I sympathize with you. It may sound strange, but you will go through a grieving process and your feelings about your condition will change over time. Sometimes you'll be really angry and sick of answering the same questions and giving the same explanations a million times over, and sometimes you'll just want to cry. Whatever your reaction is, it is perfectly acceptable. Be grateful when possible for the vision you do have while you have it. Keep in mind that this does not define you as a person you are no better or worse without your sight. I say that because that's what I struggled with. If you qualify for accomodations don't fight them. If you or your eye doctor feel you need to begin learning to live as a blind person (learning Braille, using a cane, etc.) then follow their recommendations and know that you are not alone in this. Try fo find support around you, especially someone going through the same or similar things. I found this difficult too. My family and friends were as supportive as they could be, but they just didn't understand and sometimes they said things that really upset me. Keep in mind that your close family members might be grieving for your loss too. I know that I get so wrapped up in my own reaction to my situation sometimes that I forget that it isn't easy for my parents either, they don't want to think about my possible blindness anymore than I want to have it become a reality. Be patient with them and with yourself. Feel free to ask me anything and I'll do my best to help.

As a side note, thank you for using a large, dark text size, I'm tired and my vision is blurry due to my eye drops so I appreciate that.


Member Since: September 19, 2007
LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough
*********
 
Philomath's Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Location: Where the books are

Posts: 2,283
Blog Entries: 135
Join Date: July 25th 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - March 1st 2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audacious View Post
Okay, the braillenote. How do you read braille on it? Like, do the little bumps appear out of nowhere? sorry, it really interests me and I can't wrap my head around it haha. It also has things on it that are like...long finger things...what is that for? lol. Sorry. I'm being a pain in the butt.

You are not being a pain at all. You have really cool questions and I love talking about the BrailleNote because it is really awesome!!
On the bottom, below the eight finger looking keys and space bar, there is a row of Braille cells composed of eight dots, rather than the standard six dots. When the BN is on, the dots pop up on the line of cells and show the words. They do kind of come out of nowhere because when the BN is off, all of the dots are up, where as when it is on, the dots up are those that make the letters. If I can, I will find a video of the BrailleNote on youtube and see if I can put the link here. I know there are some but I don't have any links right now.
Okay, if you are talking about the eight keys on the top above the spacebar, those are the keys used for typing and along with the spacebar, there are many combinations that can be made with them to do things like delete letters or switch programs.
If you are talking about the four rectangular keys on the front of the braille display, those are called thumb keys and they are used to move the display different ways, such as line by line, or the left one can exit programs.
The circle in the middle of the top of the BN between the two sets of four keys is called the scroll wheel and it does the same functionality as the thumb keys except you can use it with only one hand.
I hope that description helps.


"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
   
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough
*********
 
Philomath's Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Location: Where the books are

Posts: 2,283
Blog Entries: 135
Join Date: July 25th 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - March 1st 2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udontno View Post
I have a question... one of my friends works at a school for the deaf and the blind. It is a state school that is partially residential (the students go to the school during the week, sleep there, and go home on the weekends). How were you educated? Did you go to a special school or did you go to a regular school?


I went to a school like that for grades 2-4. I was a residential student there and there are both positives and negatives to such an environment.
The best thing about me being at that type of school was being able to learn the rest of my Braille and having access to everything in Braille and I was able to be with kids that were just like me or close, a majority were visually impaired but there were a ton of totally blind students as well. Also, for me, it was a sort of safe place from what I endured when I was not there. While I do not like a majority of things about such schools, I will say that I somewhat thought of it as home and felt very safe and secure while there.
If you would like me to elaborate on my views of such schools, you can just reply here and let me know and I will be more than willing to state my views and opinions. I know people that still attend such schools and have there entire school years and I find that very unfortunate.


"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
   
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough
*********
 
Philomath's Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Location: Where the books are

Posts: 2,283
Blog Entries: 135
Join Date: July 25th 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - March 1st 2012, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn ♥✿ View Post
HI!

I was asking Ryan an awkward question so it's your turn

What do you dream? . What i'm wondering is you've never seen people, places, animals, colour etc. So what do your dreams consist of please?

x

Hi,

I do not really dream, I probably do, it is just I do not remember my dreams. I know other blind people that dream and are able to describe them, but I myself do not really remember any of my dreams.
I know from what little of dreams I remember, I use my other senses, not vision when dreaming. I make images in my brain of what things look like to me, but to explain them to you is impossible because I do not know what words I would use.
I'm sorry if that doesn't answer your question much.


"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
   
  (#37 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough
*********
 
Philomath's Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Location: Where the books are

Posts: 2,283
Blog Entries: 135
Join Date: July 25th 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - March 1st 2012, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoraphobia♥ View Post
Okay here's a question for either or both of you. What advice would you give to someone who is slowly losing their vision, and may well be blind in their mid 20's to mid 30's? I ask because I'm 15 and I've had terrible eye sight since I was 6 or so. It just gets worse every year, even with glasses, and even with glasses I never see as well as others. Idk my exact prescription but if I find it, then I'll get back to you with that.
Hey Cheye,


I know other people that are in your same position. I can not relate to what you are going through as much as Kate can because I have always been blind so I do not have the same knowledge of the sighted world as you do. But I can tell you that you should not be ashamed at all of your possible blindness or lack of sight, yes, things can be hard at times and you may hate people asking you tons of questions and saying things that may offend you or be annoying or stupid, but at the end of the day, there is still so much you can do as a person without sight as you can as someone with sight. You will have to learn things differently but once you know how to do things and get used to them, things will not be so challenging.
I also agree with Kate, if you are recommended any sort of services, such as rehabilitation (Living skills such as cooking, cleaning and self care, etc.), Orientation and Mobility (Learning the use of a cane), Braille or anything else that may be recommended, take the classes and learn. The process will not be an easy one but you will learn so many things and be able to do things just like you can with sight.
Also, as an extra add in, your state (California) has awesome services for the blind through the Braille Institute, they do Braille stuff but they also teach sports, such as surfing and they teach classes in cooking and many other things. If you ever need them, they are a great resource and can link you to places in your area of California.
If you ever need anything, you can PM me and I will be glad to help you or give you any advice, or just talk to you about anything.
I hope this is of some assistance to you.


"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
   
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough
*********
 
Tigerlily.'s Avatar
 
Name: Cheye
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Location: Nevada

Posts: 2,054
Blog Entries: 27
Join Date: August 22nd 2010

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - March 1st 2012, 01:46 AM

Thanks, both of your answers helped me now I have another question lolz.

For Kate: Assuming I'm not the only one, do you get annoyed when people hold up fingers like 2 feet away from your face and ask how many fingers they're holding up? I know it's curiosity but whether I have my glasses or not, if your fingers are shoved in my face, I can see them...

For Total Light Storm: Seeing as you've never been able to see, have people gone up to you and try to do the whole, "How many fingers am I holding up?" thing, or do people get that you can't see at all. Also have people ever thought you were faking your blindness before? If so how did that go over?


Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.


HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough
*********
 
Philomath's Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Location: Where the books are

Posts: 2,283
Blog Entries: 135
Join Date: July 25th 2009

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - March 1st 2012, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoraphobia♥ View Post
Thanks, both of your answers helped me now I have another question lolz.

For Kate: Assuming I'm not the only one, do you get annoyed when people hold up fingers like 2 feet away from your face and ask how many fingers they're holding up? I know it's curiosity but whether I have my glasses or not, if your fingers are shoved in my face, I can see them...

For Total Light Storm: Seeing as you've never been able to see, have people gone up to you and try to do the whole, "How many fingers am I holding up?" thing, or do people get that you can't see at all. Also have people ever thought you were faking your blindness before? If so how did that go over?


Yes, both have happened and I really hate it when people do that. I mean, why would someone fake a disability? It took some convincing. I had a cousin once that was I think nine at the time, say to me that I wasn't really blind and that I was faking it. He didn't even believe his mom when she told him. I ended up showing him my collection of braille books and having to write in Braille for him to prove it.
At school there are students that have done the asking me how many fingers are they holding up thing and I just reply by telling them that I cannot see and I tell them to not do things like that to me. Sometimes they do not listen and repeat laughing about the situation and in those cases, I tell them they need to stop because I am getting very annoyed with what they are doing and they are being idiots.


"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
   
  (#40 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough
*********
 
Tigerlily.'s Avatar
 
Name: Cheye
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Location: Nevada

Posts: 2,054
Blog Entries: 27
Join Date: August 22nd 2010

Re: FAQ About Visual Impairment/Blindness - March 1st 2012, 02:05 AM

Wow, I'm sorry, that must be terrible. Sadly people do fake such disabilities just for attention, but I believe people if they say something. Even being able to see their fingers it's so annoying, and then once you say you can see them up close they yell to take off your glasses and run away a few feet and ask again, and then it's usually a "No I can't see them, now leave me alone" kinda deal. Also is there a way to write in braile without the special writer, or is that it? Sorry for all these questions. .


Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.


HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
faq, impairment or blindness, visual

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright 1998-2018, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.