TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Spikey Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Molly

Question Can Asperges get worse? - March 30th 2012, 09:29 AM

I was diagnosed with Asperges syndrome on November 14th 2011 (I'm a bit odd with specific dates ) and I was wondering if it could get worse.

Over the past three weeks, I've been finding busy situations really really difficult to deal with, I've started skipping assembly and form time because I can't stand it.

Lights is a thing for me too, I've never had a problem with them before, but I now have an issue with bright lights and they sometimes give me a really bad headache and I have to face away from the sun, otherwise I become stressed.

These are parts of Asperges and I just wondered if it was possible for Asperges to get worse and that's what's happening to me.

And another thing, can Asperges be referred as Autism? So could I walk up to someone and say I have Autism? - not that I would, but just saying. I know that they're both referred to as ASD, but could Asperger's be called Autism? Sorry, if that doesn't make much sense, if it doesn't tell me and I'll try to re-phrase it!

Thanks!
Molly

And she turns up the music, to drown out her life.

22/12/2014 was the last date I self-harmed. The longest I have gone so far is 1 year, 2 months and 5 days. This time, I hope I can give up! New record: 1 year 6 months! Yay!!
Previously:
Kibska

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Can Asperges get worse? - March 31st 2012, 02:52 AM

Hi Molly,

Typically, Asperger's doesn't get worse, but as the demands of life naturally get greater as you get older, the symptoms become more difficult, they get in the way more and can be more prominent. That's because they interfere with more of the things we expect form teens as they evolve into adults. Think of Asperger's like a glass ceiling, and you get the idea: It holds you back because it limits your flexibility to understand and respond to many social situations...and as those situations naturally increase, the underlying problem..the Asperger's...become more apparent. Not worse, just more apparent.

Asperger's also isn't 'One' consistent or typical thing, there are degrees of it, from mild to severe, it's on a continuum. There are effective therapies, especially for the more mild to moderate forms.

Asperger's is seen on the larger autism scale, but on the very beginning/mild part of it. Technically, it is different than autism, so the correct answer to the question if you have autism is 'No'.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
CenturyBreak Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Name

Re: Can Asperges get worse? - April 3rd 2012, 03:54 PM

Hello Molly ..
I also am in a similar situation as you and I do have aspergers syndrome.
According to research, most symptoms do improve as we mature, but since of course as we age we are expected to act more mature, the symptoms may make a larger affect on our life than now.
For example: It may be that reading someones body language slightly improves as we get older, but we will perhaps always have slight difficulties in it ... which makes a large affect in adulthood. We may be a little bit less clumsy, but still, any such clumsiness will be notable and have a large affect.

It may be a little bit similar going from child to teenager: for example, it is common for us aspies to have meltdowns or tantrums over things some people may just simply not understand, and in childhood, it wasn't really a considerable thing because people just looked and thought 'oh well they're only a child'. But meltdowns in teenage years may well become less frequent but then again when they do happen they have a horrible considerable effect and people may look and think we are being naughty or stupid.

In summary, aspergers improves, and the effects may get worse. There are however, of course, many amazing things about our condition, and this will never change. Our amazing remembrance of dates will always be with us and that is something I will always love about myself.
Anyway, if you ever need anything feel free to PM me as I am in a similar situation with you and I'm always happy to talk to someone similar to me.
Hope your alright
Harry

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Can Asperges get worse? - April 12th 2012, 10:45 AM

I have aspergers too. Oh and no, it cannot be called autism. in the current DSM IV, autism is separate from autism. If you are diagnosed under DSM V, the new DSM with autistic spectrum disorder (now revised to include aspergers) , then you can call it autism. technically, it is a form of autism
It can get worse with persistent isolation, but this is unlikely to be permanent. stress may also worsen the symptoms. the core disorder itself is unlikely to worsen with time .just the symptoms if u isolate yourself. yes its totally possible to start noticing things u never noticed before like the lights

(#5 (permalink)) Old
ARTPOP Offline
I've been here a while

Name: :)

Re: Can Asperges get worse? - April 16th 2012, 09:09 AM

Hi there!

Like Dr Bobby says, typically your condition cannot get 'worse'. Perhaps the more difficulty you have been experiencing is due to more stress than usual? I do not know a lot about the condition so I am sorry if my answers are vague.

As far as I know Aspergers and Autism are very different! You don’t need to simplify yourself for others Molly. Explain you have Aspergers if you need to, and if they don’t understand perhaps explain what can cause problems for you?

What you are currently experiencing, talk with your doctor about this.

Hope I managed to help you Molly.

Take care

xx

I'm a superstar because I do pageants!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Siren❤ Offline
Average Joe

Name: ILH♡

Re: Can Asperges get worse? - April 18th 2012, 03:12 PM

Unicorn is very right, only tell people if you want or feel the need to, or explain a bit about it if they seem a bit clueless and say what kind of things you find tough. I have Aspergers too, & I find my symptoms of it get more obvious if things get tough for me emotionally, or if something makes me anxious/upset. If you ever need to talk, shoot a PM my way and I'll try help - I've been diagnosed since I was about 13-14? And I'm now 20, so I'm pretty used to it all.

Do you have anyone who knows a bit about it (a family member, a professional or counsellor kind of person) to talk to about your concerns with it? If you do, go for it, I reckon it may help.
Good luck!

Closed Thread