TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BubblyBabyBlue Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Storm

Red face Nail biting - May 27th 2012, 12:46 AM

I am addicted to biting my nails. At first I broke my habit and grew my nails out and they looked very pretty but them I just bit them off and now I really can't stop. I bite my nails to the point where they bleed. I bite my nails, my skin on my palms and the hangnail that just makes things hurt more and make things worse. It's really annoying but I can't help it. Anybody have any ideas that they used to stop nail biting?

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
George^^ Offline
Hi :D
Senior TeenHelper

Name: George

Re: Nail biting - May 27th 2012, 02:49 AM

I've heard that nail polish can work, and also putting tape or dipping your fingers in nail juice can help. But I've never really have tried to stop my nail bitting, I'm not that bad yet, but I find that nail polish makes me not bite my nails as much, or having something else to chew on (usually gum)

I've said it once, I've said it twice, I've said it a thousand fucking times
That I'm OK, that I'm fine, that it's all just in my mind
But this has got the best of me, and I can't seem to sleep
It's not 'cause you're not with me, it's cause you never leave

(#3 (permalink)) Old
ELEVATE
I've been here a while

Name: Hannah

Re: Nail biting - May 27th 2012, 04:20 AM

Another thing to help is dipping your fingers in vinegar . . . you learn pretty quickly that when you go to bite them, it tastes BAD.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Mitch Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mitchell

Re: Nail biting - May 27th 2012, 04:27 AM

Personally, I did manage to stop biting my nails, I never did the above, however try to occupy yourself, especially your hands doing something else, whether it be craft, typing an essay or whatever, and maybe chew some gum - whenever you get the urge, just occupy yourself and try to forget it.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Tessa

Re: Nail biting - May 27th 2012, 06:04 AM

I have/had the same problem most of my life, its gotten to the point when I was younger my mother had to put tape on the ends of my fingers, unfortuantely the only thing that actually made me fully stop was braces, but i have done some things that have made it less and made it not quite as bad. One of my favs is getting some kind of cool/unique nail design, it usually helps because I dont want to mess it up, also keeping my nails short because there is less to bite and also having people remind me when I do it because I used to do without even noticing I was doing it, they also have this special clear stuff for nails, almost like nail polish and it tastes so disgusting. Anyways i hope you find something that helps

"You're never gonna spread your disease,So take your hands off of me"

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Nail biting - May 27th 2012, 07:35 AM

When you notice that you are biting your nails, consciously make yourself stop. It's hard and can take a while to master if the habit is ingrained but if you consciously stop yourself from doing it then sometimes that can help to break the habit.

Keep your hands busy. I used to finger knit, so I'd always have a long piece of wool in my hands and my fingers would be constantly moving so I couldn't bite them.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Nail biting - May 27th 2012, 08:41 AM

I've had this problem for a huge part of my life and I've figured out that it's partly because of periods in my life where something is agitating me or making me nervous.

I see you temporarily got rid of it, only to recently go back to biting them. Is there something recent that might be making you a bit nervous or feel on edge? Maybe there's something you need to resolve first so you don't feel the need to bite your nails. An upcoming event, an uneasy stage in your life, etc?

This may not be it for you but I hope this gives you a new perspective!

Regards, Carpe Diem.

Carpe Diem: Seize the Day/Moment. -Horace

Veni, Vidi, Vici: I came, I saw, I conquered -Julius Caesar

(#8 (permalink)) Old
BubblyBabyBlue Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Nail biting - May 27th 2012, 02:08 PM

Thank you everybody for your answers. I eat a lot of gum and it keeps me from biting my nails. I tried the nail polish thing last time but it made my nails grow. I'm gonna try everybody's ideas. Again thanks.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
BabyGirl767 Offline
Meow! Woof Woof! Moooo! Baaaa!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Re: Nail biting - May 27th 2012, 05:00 PM

I Stopped biting my nails a long time ago but sometimes I do have the urge to bite them, so usually when I feel the urge I do something to keep my mind and my hands full and unable to bite them, here are some things I do to keep my mind off my nails,
I suggest making bracelets,lanyards you could draw or doodle or write a story, there's also origami(if you have the patience to learn which. I don't unfortunately)
Those things help me, and they may help you as well.
Hope you kick the habit fast so you don't have to worry about it anymore!

I was born with a genetic disorder called neurofibromatosis, it causes tumors to grow in my body on nerves,my spine,and under my skin. I have a tumor in the thalamus region of my brain. I also have heartburn,hypothyroidism and secondary adrenal insufficiency these are under control with medication.
I also have hip dysplasia and scoliosis.

Send a message via AIM to BabyGirl767  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Caitlyn

Re: Nail biting - May 27th 2012, 09:09 PM

I still bite my nails, but what my friend did to stop is chew bubble gum. Now her nails are very pretty!

All you need is LOVE
  Send a message via Yahoo to Swimming With Seals Send a message via Skype™ to Swimming With Seals 
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
a person Offline
Derpy Psychonaut
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Nail biting - May 28th 2012, 12:51 AM

idk for me painting my nails worked. it was only when my nails were bare that i felt the urge to bite and pick at them. i guess a few other people said it, but you could try the clear nail polish that tastes bad. it worked for my brother lol and i tried it for fun... and yes it tastes like shit.

19. Neuroscience and Psychology Double Major. Dirty Jerz. Enjoys floral print, lace, 1920s culture, mustaches, psychedelics, infinity signs, fractals, film photography, Disney films, old newspapers, hookah, parks and proper grammar. Yerp.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Vaughndy7 Offline
Voglio solo essere bella...
Average Joe

Name: Toni

Re: Nail biting - May 30th 2012, 03:24 AM

I realized that I used to bite my nails when I was nervous or something and it wasn't really about biting my nails but just being able to fidget, after figuring that out I started wearing a hair band or jelly bracelets so I could have something to fidget with instead of biting my nails. Also Painting them does help because certain nail polishes don't taste very pleasant and also you don't want to ruin the polish. Hope some of that helped.

"Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."
"People cry, not because they are weak. It's because they have been strong for too long."
"Everthing will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, then it's not the end."

(#13 (permalink)) Old
loganemmy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Emily

Re: Nail biting - June 4th 2012, 05:07 AM

I would try gum. That has really helped me. Putting something bad tasting on your fingers may or may not work, it didn't work for me. I just distract myself, most of the time with gum.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
BubblyBabyBlue Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Nail biting - June 5th 2012, 10:57 PM

Yea I eat alot of gum and it keeps me from biting my nails.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
damnitbob Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Nail biting - June 8th 2012, 04:02 AM

yeah i had a similar problem i bit my nails for about 3years this is gross but warts grew on my fingers. but recently i have successfully removed those stubborn things. and just today i realized i stopped biting my nails on my right hand and they look better then ever
i think the warts didnt help in stopping my habit, just made me more self-concious about them. good luck

(#16 (permalink)) Old
The Eater of Delicious Goods
Not a n00b

Name: Nikki

Re: Nail biting - June 8th 2012, 07:00 AM

It's terrible how often I bite my nails. I had them really nice for awhile, and then I just gave up. I've been biting them ever since I could put my fingers in my mouth. I bite them all the way down, as far as they go and then I bite the skin around them. Needleeeesss to say, my hands are icky looking. It doesn't help I fidget with my cuticle when I get nervous. I've drawn blood from basically picking at the skin around my nail. No muy bueno.

"Happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor."

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Nail biting - June 8th 2012, 12:27 PM

I used to bite my nails from when I was very young and I recently stopped last month. I have recently started placement in a hospital and the work I am doing is very close and hands on with patients and I felt uncomfortable with patients looking at my nails when they where a mess. When you have been touching people all day and some have gross feet or infectious illnesses it makes you think twice about putting you fingers in your mouth. Also the alcohol hand gel tastes horrible.

I tried to stop a lot before but now but I really wanted to this time and I did. It hasn't caused me any problems. Occasionally when I get the urge to bite my nails I grab a nail file and file them instead which helps.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Twinge Offline
Forever we'll just lay here
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Vint Fall

Re: Nail biting - June 9th 2012, 02:00 PM

what stopped me from biting them for a while was bitter nail polish(which also heals your nails - strengthens them) that i bought in the drug store. or find something that distracts you, find something else to chew/bite on that cannot harm you and relieves you from stress since nail biting DOES come from stress. relax and distract yourself...or find a better addiction. XP

I moved back while
my head was turned.

Upside down
closer to the end.

Afraid of the dark
within future times.

I'm drowning there,
my final chase.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Vaughndy7 Offline
Voglio solo essere bella...
Average Joe

Name: Toni

Re: Nail biting - June 11th 2012, 09:31 PM

The one thing that really helped me was incentive. I bit my nails really bad when I was younger and after my mom promised me a ring if I grew out my nails I stopped biting quickly. Sadly, shortly after this I was in the hospital and with all the nerves I bit them right off, but was able to stop again. Maybe if you tell yourself that you will get a manicure or a new shirt or something like that if you stop biting them then it will make things a little easier or at least more worth it.
- hope that helped

"Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."
"People cry, not because they are weak. It's because they have been strong for too long."
"Everthing will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, then it's not the end."

Closed Thread