TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Liptonstein Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Addicted to MLP - July 28th 2012, 11:07 PM

I'm a guy and I'm addicted to watching My Little Pony. I know it's weird but I just am and it is beginning to interfere with my life because this is apparently a huge turn-off for girls, so I am wanting to break my habit so that my girlfriend will go out with me again (she broke it off when she found out because she thought I was "gay" - her words, not mine, because I have nothing against gay people and I'm not gay by the way). I have gone an entire week now without watching an episode and without writing fanfic and without looking up pony websites and I am planning to throw away all of my MLP merchandise but it is very difficult to part with them all (especially with my Pinkie Pie figurines because she has always been my favourite and she has always been a character who I looked up to and heralded as a beacon of strength).

I am trying, but it isn't easy because I have collected them for about two years now and this was not an easy collection to put together partly because I had to order them all online and get other people to actually buy them in store so as not to go into a store and buy them and be seen with them in public. I am ashamed of my fandom as you can probably tell and I wish I had never watched this show in the first place because of all the crap I have had to put up with since then.

I am writing this here not to get hater posts or troll but to put something in writing to promise myself I will kick my habit. I am tired of being called words like "brony" and "girly." I appreciate your support if you offer it, but please no haters because I don't have time or patience for that. Anyway, last weekend I began this turn around and I am hoping to be completely MLP free by the end of November when I believe I will have gotten rid of all of my merchandise.

I will post again at that time and hopefully at that point I will not even be thinking about MLP anymore.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 924861 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Addicted to MLP - July 29th 2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liptonstein View Post
I'm a guy and I'm addicted to watching My Little Pony. I know it's weird but I just am and it is beginning to interfere with my life because this is apparently a huge turn-off for girls, so I am wanting to break my habit so that my girlfriend will go out with me again (she broke it off when she found out because she thought I was "gay" - her words, not mine, because I have nothing against gay people and I'm not gay by the way). I have gone an entire week now without watching an episode and without writing fanfic and without looking up pony websites and I am planning to throw away all of my MLP merchandise but it is very difficult to part with them all (especially with my Pinkie Pie figurines because she has always been my favourite and she has always been a character who I looked up to and heralded as a beacon of strength).

I am trying, but it isn't easy because I have collected them for about two years now and this was not an easy collection to put together partly because I had to order them all online and get other people to actually buy them in store so as not to go into a store and buy them and be seen with them in public. I am ashamed of my fandom as you can probably tell and I wish I had never watched this show in the first place because of all the crap I have had to put up with since then.

I am writing this here not to get hater posts or troll but to put something in writing to promise myself I will kick my habit. I am tired of being called words like "brony" and "girly." I appreciate your support if you offer it, but please no haters because I don't have time or patience for that. Anyway, last weekend I began this turn around and I am hoping to be completely MLP free by the end of November when I believe I will have gotten rid of all of my merchandise.

I will post again at that time and hopefully at that point I will not even be thinking about MLP anymore.
Your love of the ponies is not what is causing you to not get a girlfriend. If a girl won't go out with you simply because you like a TV show then there's something wrong there.

Guile has seen every episode of MLP:FiM
Guile is not Fag.
Guile owns Rainbow Dash pony toy.
Guile can still meet women.
Guile also knows when not to bring up the ponies.

THAT IS KEY

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

6 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
joeblow9999 Offline
I'm back! (sorta)
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Addicted to MLP - July 29th 2012, 07:11 AM

This is a complicated one but I'll try my best.

There's nothing wrong with watching the show, collecting the merchandise and writing fan fiction. It should only become a concern if it is interfering with your "serious life" such as school (like causing your grades to slip) and your job if you have one. If it is causing breakups because your partner finds it "gay," well, that's simply a sign that they are immature and not worth your time, and you shouldn't try to change your tastes just to please someone else. I mean, it's a freaking cartoon for Christ's sake, only a shallow person would break off a relationship over something petty and harmless like that.

And for what it's worth, I hate the show and can't stand the characters. But I wouldn't break up with someone or stop being friends over it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Addicted to MLP - July 29th 2012, 08:45 PM

First of all, let me say that there is nothing wrong with liking My Little Pony, collecting merchandise, or writing fan-fiction. If it's something that you like, that's all that matters. As the previous poster said, it only becomes a problem when it begins to interfere with your daily life and the things that you need to do. If it's interfering with your relationships, that's simply a sign that the other person is immature and unwilling to accept what other people like. With that in mind, take a moment to consider whether or not you really want to stop watching My Little Pony.

If it turns out that you do still want to stop watching the show, there are a couple different steps you can take. The first thing to do would be to get rid of all your My Little Pony merchandise. While it will probably be difficult to part with, keeping those things around won't do much to help you move farther away from the show. Give it to a friend who enjoys the show, sell it to someone, or donate it. Just do something so it is not in your possession anymore. You'll also want to find some alternative activities to partake in if/when you feel like watching My Little Pony. Your best bet would be to do something that gets you away from your TV, computer, or any other device that you can watch the show on. Perhaps you could go for a walk or run, spend some time with friends or family, or pick up a new hobby. If you have something to do to take your mind off, it will make quitting easier.

Remember, this is your decision. Don't let the opinions of other people affect the things that you do or do not like. Just take a minute to think it through and decide if this is what YOU really want to do.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Zen Ryochan Offline
Love and Tolerate
Average Joe

Name: Ryan

Re: Addicted to MLP - August 2nd 2012, 01:58 PM

Trust me there is no shame in liking MLP. I've actually met and become friends with a lot of girls because of it. It's a good show. Don't give up on being yourself because someone else doesn't like it. Be who you are and be proud of it. At the end of the day thats what will make you happy: being yourself.

I looove collecting the merchandise. Send it my way if you're getting rid of it. <.<

"To suspect your own mortality is to know the beginning of terror; to learn irrefutably that you are mortal is to know the end of terror." -Frank Herbert

“To love our enemy is impossible. The moment we understand our enemy, we feel compassion towards him or her, and he or she is no longer our enemy.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh

(#6 (permalink)) Old
FuturesEnd45 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Addicted to MLP - August 2nd 2012, 11:48 PM

Theres nothing wrong with it! Its just a hobby/intrest to you.i agree with Guile, If someone dumps you for liking something they probably are just fickle and werent worth it. You dont have to quit cold turkey and never watch it again if it makes you happy. Maybe not buy anymore toys and give some away. I watch mlp and i think its not in season now right? Try watching only when its new on tv. Try and find some other intresting things like a new book or game to keep you busy, go out to the park or write some original stories with your own characters :3 it shouldnt be a shamefull thing to like a innocent tv show.
  Send a message via AIM to FuturesEnd45  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Addicted to MLP - August 4th 2012, 03:14 AM

If you have a strong connection to some of the merchandise, such as Pinkie Pie, then feel free to keep it. The ways in which it interferes with your life is not your fault, it is the fault of your girlfriend. You found someone who didn't like MLP and you're going to find everywhere you look, there's someone who doesn't like something. I wouldn't say you're addicted because it seems as though you had a strong personal connection to MLP, especially Pinkie Pie and you weren't getting that from elsewhere. You can keep some of the merchandise if you choose, such as Pinkie Pie and dispose of the rest/put it into storage or simply dispose of it all, your choice.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: Addicted to MLP - August 4th 2012, 07:53 PM

Totally awesome that you love MLP.
A ton of the guys that I go to school (engineering university, nonetheless) with love MLP. They actually got me into the Friendship is Magic series.. We totally all had "My Little Brony" viewing parties once a week. <3

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Squiggly Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Addicted to MLP - August 5th 2012, 04:42 PM

I love my little pony!
Quote:
she has always been my favourite and she has always been a character who I looked up to and heralded as a beacon of strength.
Me too I love Pinkie Pie!
That said I don't think there is anything wrong at all with liking my little pony It is actually a pretty good show and there are tons of people (including guys) who like this show it is quite popular. I am not on any websites but I do own some figurines and I do watch the show I am so excited for the next season!

Quote:
Your love of the ponies is not what is causing you to not get a girlfriend. If a girl won't go out with you simply because you like a TV show then there's something wrong there.

Guile has seen every episode of MLP:FiM
Guile is not Fag.
Guile owns Rainbow Dash pony toy.
Guile can still meet women.
Guile also knows when not to bring up the ponies.

THAT IS KEY
I agree with this and if it's something you like you shouldn't have to give it up or feel ashamed.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
captainyumiyumi Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Yumiko

Re: Addicted to MLP - August 12th 2012, 08:02 AM

Like most of the people who have replied before me have already said, do what makes YOU happy and do what YOU like. If other people are not willing to accept you for who you are and what you like then they are not worth your time, you deserve better people then that! I personally love MLP and know quite a lot of people (mostly straight guys) who like it as well(: don't feel ashamed for something that you love!

(#11 (permalink)) Old
ARTPOP Offline
I've been here a while

Name: :)

Re: Addicted to MLP - August 13th 2012, 09:50 AM

First, it isn't a turn off for all girls! Personally I find Bronys cute :3 being a Pegasister myself I would obviously find other fans as an attraction.

Second, it's not so much an addiction ...it's more a hobby. Some people collect coins, some collect posters of their favorite stars, some collect comics, you collect pony figures!

Nobody should make you ashamed of your fanbase. When I told friends I watch MLP:FIM they laughed ... But didn't disown me! if your girlfriend can't understand this then she's probably not worth it

Closed Thread