TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
OmNom Offline
Green Candy Eating Cutie
Junior TeenHelper

Addicted to...an unhealthy lifestyle? - August 23rd 2012, 02:37 PM

Im basically the definition of lazy
I sit around by the computer all day.
I have been trying to exercise lately but Im terrible at forcing myself to go and do it.
I have a really stubborn sweet tooth, hate most fruits and veggies, love anything unhealthy.
I always realize this and say "oh today ill go to the gym and eat fruits at every meal and limit my time on the computer..." but look at me now im on the computer...
Any help would be great on how to break these habits

PM me if you need anything Except ice cream. I never share my ice cream

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Addicted to...an unhealthy lifestyle? - August 23rd 2012, 06:49 PM

The key is starting slowly and ease your way into it. Find some physical activity you like. It might take awhile to find something, but that way you don't have to force yourself to do it. If you can't find anything start with walking for 20-30 minutes.

The good thing about taste is that it's learned. That means that you can retrain yourself to like, or at least tolerate, things you don't already like. Trade one sweet snack for a piece of fruit and slowly eat fruit in place of sweet things. You don't have to give sugar or junk food up completely, just do this until you reduce it to an amount you're comfortable with. Same goes for other unhealthy food, replace it with healthier things. In about 3 weeks you won't want the unhealthy things as much. Also, the healthier you eat, the easier the exercise will be.

For the computer, cut a certain amount of time every day or every week until you're down to a reasonable amount of time and use the extra time for something else like homework or reading a book. This doesn't apply to using the computer for school-related things, just try not to get distracted while doing school work.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Addicted to...an unhealthy lifestyle? - August 24th 2012, 03:00 AM

You can't change your habits overnight. It's something that you need to ease yourself into. Try taking things little by little and work yourself up to the results that you want. For example, don't challenge yourself to run a 5K on day 1. Instead, push yourself to go for a 20-30 minute walk or run. As you get more into your exercise routine, challenge yourself to do a little more than you did the day or week before. Before you know it, exercising will be something that you look forward to doing. It's the same with all the other behaviors that you want to change. Take it slow and push yourself to keep progressing. The moments of pride that come with knowing you accomplished more than you previously had will push you to keep going.

You might also want to think about coming up with a goal sheet. Since you have trouble actually pushing yourself to keep your goals, writing them down could be just the kind of accountability you need. Choose one thing from each area of your life that you would like to change and write it down. If you have Post-it notes, write one goal on each Post-it and stick them in their respective areas. For example, write yourself a note about choosing an apple over ice cream and stick it on the door to your fridge. When you're tempted to cheat in your goals, your note will be there to remind you of the things that you are working towards.

Good luck! I know you can do this.

Take care!

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#4 (permalink)) Old
OmNom Offline
Green Candy Eating Cutie
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Addicted to...an unhealthy lifestyle? - September 2nd 2012, 09:55 PM

Instead of a goal sheet, I actually found this app for my iPod called "Lift" and its pretty cool. You choose good habits that you wanna get into and each day you check into them to keep track and people encourage you and congratulate you when you do stuff...

Its hard for me to 'ease my way into things' cause Im pretty impatient so when I cant do things quickly, I'll get very frustrated and/or upset and either give up on it or just be sad and stuff... (But I have been good about eating fruits ) And school is coming up this week so I'm gonna HAVE to break the habit of being on the computer 24/7... Lets not talk about exercise though (so bad at forcing myself to go to the gym)

PM me if you need anything Except ice cream. I never share my ice cream

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Addicted to...an unhealthy lifestyle? - September 3rd 2012, 04:06 AM

Perhaps make it a competition with a friend. because a competition has the most motivation. Like, maybe go for a jog but tell him that you'd race him/her. Or go to the gym and make a bet that you and him can't reach an actual ammount of excercise. Making it a game also makes it fun. Also, perhaps if you have a laptop/ipod/MP3 or all that get someone to hide them in your place really well so you have to do other things.

Hope it helps,
Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

Closed Thread