TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Doctor's Companion
I've been here a while

Name: Michaela

Angry Obsessed with washing my hands - September 5th 2012, 12:54 PM

Well, I have had an obsession with washing my hands for quite a while, I was diagnosed with OCD, but I still feel like an idiot, I carry hand gel everywhere with me because I have a phobia of catching germs. I think it might be getting worse, even when I am touching my own stuff I have started using the hand gel and I am constantly at the bathroom when I am at home, washing my hands for ages. People laugh at me because of it, but they don't realise how hard it is for me to go through it. I hate having the obsession and my family and fiance have said, its not my fault, the OCD not me. But still people say hurtful words about it, they say I am a freak and an idiot because of my OCD. I just wish they would leave me alone about it. I could have coped better with it if it wasn't for the people making these remarks. Can anybody give some advice please? It would really be appreciated.
  Send a message via MSN to Raggedy Man, Goodnight!  
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
EmisaurusRex Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Em

Re: Obsessed with washing my hands - September 6th 2012, 05:14 AM

Hey there!

Since you have been diagnosed with OCD, are you being treated for it? If you are, and even if you aren't, I'd encourage you to tell your doctor that you feel things are getting worse, so that perhaps they can change the treatment that you are receiving right now, or they can start a treatment plan with you if you're not already receiving treatment. OCD is a very difficult thing, and it is definitely not your fault. I personally do not have OCD, but I know many people that do. They have their hard times, but they've also found things that help them and they're able to manage and control the things that used to control them (like your need to wash your hands and be clean).
It might also be worthwhile to try some stress management techniques like meditation or deep breathing. Also, it might be helpful to kind of set some goals for yourself? Maybe something like having a goal to decrease the number of times you wash your hands/ use hand gel by one? Or set boundaries for when it is okay to wash your hands. Like before and after preparing food, after using the restroom, if you cough or sneeze into your hands, etc. And then your goal could be to stick to those boundaries.
Those are just a few ideas. I definitely think it would be good to speak with your doctor. Like I said--you can come to a point where this doesn't seem to rule your life so much. So don't give up! And don't let foolish people who don't take the time to understand something like OCD get you down.

You can do this!

Great works are performed not by strength, but by perseverance.
PM me anytime <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Doctor's Companion
I've been here a while

Name: Michaela

Re: Obsessed with washing my hands - September 6th 2012, 08:08 AM

I haven't been placed on my treatment yet, I am going to have another trip to the doctors because I want to know when I will be starting the treatment. Without any treatment I am slowly becoming worse, my OCD makes me nervous to go out, because it gets worse when I am in shops, if I see something out of place on a shelf I have to put it back perfectly and then people are staring at me as if I am weird. I am paranoid to go out because of it.
  Send a message via MSN to Raggedy Man, Goodnight!  
Closed Thread