TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kaya Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Exclamation Terrible time-waster - October 2nd 2012, 07:04 PM

Hey guys,

I'm just wasting my days, doing nothing literally sitting in my room and watching TV shows. I don't even manage to clean up my room, going out to the grocery shop has become a hassle. I know that I'm just a lazy ass... wasting my time, but I just can't make myself do any practical stuff. I even skip my meals coz I'm so damn lazy to cook them properly...

Not to mention that I'm getting behind on my school work
And I'm being distant from my friends

If you have any similar experiences or suggestions on how to defeat my laziness addiction

You are more than welcome to contribute to this thread

Hopes are to keep us alive, dreams are to make us fly, both are to be found around so keep searching =)

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Psyke Offline
The one, the only Psyke
Not a n00b

Re: Terrible time-waster - October 7th 2012, 09:38 PM

I tend to disbelieve the term "time-waster" and you're obviously not wasting any time by watching television shows. You're not being productive, but you're not wasting your time either.

Anyways, you could try one thing at a time. One more thing, one more time as Josh Sunquist says. One more thing is all you need to get over your laziness. For instance, today, go cook dinner. Next week, cook dinner and go outside for 10 minutes. The following week, cook dinner, go outside for 10 minutes, and call a friend. Next week, cook dinner, call a friend, and hang out with the friend for 10 minutes. You get the drift, don't you?

A few things you must know about me.

1. Social interactions are confusing. I may offend you. Don't take it the wrong way.

2. If you need help, regardless of what it is, you can always pm me.

3. I'm brutally honest. Sugar coating is more brutal.

4. You, yes the person reading this, is a spectacular lovely person. Don't let anybody tell you different.

Best Anti-Suicide advertisement, especially considering it's not even about suicide.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kaya Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Terrible time-waster - October 10th 2012, 06:56 PM

Psyke, thanks for helping me out to see the situation under a different light. I'll give a try to the "one thing at a time" plan.

Hopes are to keep us alive, dreams are to make us fly, both are to be found around so keep searching =)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Psyke Offline
The one, the only Psyke
Not a n00b

Re: Terrible time-waster - October 10th 2012, 08:44 PM

Thank Josh Sunquist. He's the one that have me that idea. Just one more thing, one more time and you'll eventually get where you want.

Good luck on your journey.

1. Social interactions are confusing. I may offend you. Don't take it the wrong way.

4. You, yes the person reading this, is a spectacular lovely person. Don't let anybody tell you different.

Best Anti-Suicide advertisement, especially considering it's not even about suicide.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Liminal Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Terrible time-waster - October 11th 2012, 12:10 AM

I went through a similar period in my early twenties, right after college. I was through with my major obligations and after putting in four intense years I just wanted to keep it low-key for a while. But "a while" got longer and longer until I realized I was letting opportunities - and life in general - pass me by. There's nothing wrong with taking time out to experience the things you enjoy, but when it starts dominating your life it's time to re-evaluate what you're doing.

What got me out of it was finding a couple of engaging activities that got me out of the apartment or around people I wanted to see. By engaging I mean something that takes some work, but that you enjoy enough that the work is worth it. Volunteer work is awesome for this, but it can be as simple as a weekly game night or some other social activity. If you know people are coming by your place, you've got incentive to clean the place up, do some shopping and anything else you've been neglecting.

If you're not doing it already, I'd also recommend an exercise program of some kind. Getting physically active increases your energy levels and makes you want to get up and do something, and being fit's not a bad side effect either! Running is easy, free and doesn't take a lot of time, and if you've got access to a gym so much the better.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Psyke Offline
The one, the only Psyke
Not a n00b

Re: Terrible time-waster - October 11th 2012, 04:20 AM

As far as exercise is concerned, I'd suggest doing Insanity or P90X. Gym memberships are extremely expensive compared to these work out programs, and I can vouch for Insanity.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Liminal Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Terrible time-waster - October 11th 2012, 04:39 AM

If you can tough it out through Insanity-style interval training then hell yes, do it. Definitely a steeper hill to climb, especially if you've got motivation issues, but the results would be worth it.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Harley Quinn Offline
Average Joe

Re: Terrible time-waster - October 12th 2012, 02:21 PM

As Liminal said, exercise does wonders. I went through a period like this for a majority of last year, and some days this year, too. A lot of what helps is a shower (give yourself time in the shower to mentally figure out what's actually important and an instant refresher) and exercise right in the mornings. My most productive days are when I wake up at 6 and do a few sit-ups or go for a 20 minute bike ride.

A more psychological tip, though, find something to look forward to every morning! Take up an interesting hobby that you're passionate about. If you don't know yet, try new things and keep an open mind.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
bellatink Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Steph

Re: Terrible time-waster - October 14th 2012, 10:54 AM

I've had a similar experience over the last 2 years... I didn't necessarily mind, but recently have decided to do some more. I started to learn to drive - not sure if you're old enough/have already done this? It gave me a lot more freedom to be able to get out and do things that i'm actually interested in.

Psyke - I like the way you think, especially
Quote:
you're obviously not wasting any time by watching television shows. You're not being productive, but you're not wasting your time either.
It certainly made me reflect on my time in a more positive way - so thank you!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
bellatink Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Steph

Re: Terrible time-waster - October 14th 2012, 10:54 AM

I've had a similar experience over the last 2 years... I didn't necessarily mind, but recently have decided to do some more. I started to learn to drive - not sure if you're old enough/have already done this? It gave me a lot more freedom to be able to get out and do things that i'm actually interested in.

Psyke - I like the way you think, especially
Quote:
you're obviously not wasting any time by watching television shows. You're not being productive, but you're not wasting your time either.
It certainly made me reflect on my time in a more positive way - so thank you!

Closed Thread