TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nitro Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy How can I say no? - October 4th 2012, 12:41 PM

I'm 18, my parents never force me to do anything and that's how it's been since always, as I've been growing up many new things to do came up, I'm not talking about alcohol or drug addictions just wasting time in an irresponsible manner.
Time ago I had no friends and now that I made so many friends and I've always been good and always been there for friends. Now I have a bit too much of that, everyone counts on me and when I try to refuse to go out with someone I end up accepting.
This behavior is getting me in quite a lot of trouble lately, like going out at night during school days and then having trouble, or not waking up in the morning. Having no time for myself.
I envy a friend that use to live around here that had so much time for himself, I usually end up shutting down my phone because there is no other way to avoid my friends sometimes.
However then they get angry at me an they just say stuff "If you're not in the mood for me just say it, don't hide" My friends are not the problem, the thing is that they just got used to my flexibility

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: How can I say no? - October 5th 2012, 05:28 AM

Hey mate,
just tell them you want to be alone for a bit. be honest. You may not want t anger or offend them but everyone deserves a little 'me' time. My mum has this problem where she can't refuse anything! And she's been used AND abused for it. You don't want it to get to this stage so you need to learn how to say no. You can't feel guilty for saying it either. You have to be strong. You deserve it. Nobody can expect you to do anything you don't want to.

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Francois Offline
Average Joe

Name: Francois

Re: How can I say no? - October 5th 2012, 08:47 AM

Use this as your people-filter. Those who get angry at you, or end up not wanting to be your friend any more, when you tell them no, are those who aren't real friends anyway. It's okay to be flexible, but it is not okay to bend back farther than you can. You have no obligation to anybody but yourself.

All in the name of adrenalin

Closed Thread