TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Drake2199 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Fingernail biting! Please help! - December 14th 2012, 02:36 PM

I just cannot stop biting my nails. I bite my nails and my skin and sometimes they bleed. I have heard that nail Polish helps but i am a guy so i really can't use nail polish. Any suggestions on how to stop?

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Fingernail biting! Please help! - December 14th 2012, 03:20 PM

There is always clear fingernail polish. You would only really notice up close.

First, I think it's important to identify WHY you bite your nails, beyond just being a habit. I would suggest taking note of when you bite your nails, then be mindful. Meaning, are you bored? Stressed? A combo? If you can figure out WHY you bite your nails in the first place, then you can work towards correcting the cause. However, this habit is common among teenagers, and children. Most tend to grow out of it as adults, but it's better to try and curb the habit now! Right?

Here are a few tips to prevent it:
-Keep nails short. You'll have less to bite on.
-If it's stress and anxiety causing this to happen, when you DO get stressed- try a stress free activity such as yoga, or writing.
-If it's a matter of boredom, keep your hands busy. If you're sitting in front of a TV- squeeze a stress ball, or perhaps take up a craft.
-Use the 'Protection' technique. Choose a nail to protect, meaning you won't bite it, and then each week add a new finger.. til all ten are protected

I also want to link you to an Article here on TH about nail biting.
http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f127-...e-nail-biting/

Hope this helped. Good luck!

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Fingernail biting! Please help! - December 15th 2012, 08:14 AM

As Lynds said, trim your nails regularly to give you less to chew on. File them down with an emery board to smooth them out into a rounded shape, as sharp corners from simply cutting them straight across can be very tempting to chew.

Apply a topical solution on your nails that gives them an unpleasant taste, making them less appealing to chew on. You can buy special formulas of clear nail polish and creams at your beauty supply stores or drugstores that come with an intentionally terrible flavor to make you more aware and less tempted to chew on your nails. If you don't want to buy commercial products, soaking your nails for a few minutes in lemon juice or hot sauce can have the same discouraging effect.

Also, wearing gloves over your hands, whenever feasible, to put a barrier between your teeth and your nails can help. This will at least make you think twice about biting your nails, preventing you from doing it subconsciously. If you don't have gloves, or the weather is too warm for this to be a good idea, cover each nail with bandages or tape.

Keep your mouth busy by chewing on gum or sucking on mints. If your mouth is busy, there'll be a less chance of you chewing your nails.

Doodle on a piece of paper or keep a small ball on hand to squeeze. Keep your hands busy, especially during idle time when you aren't doing anything. If you catch yourself about to bite your nails, grab a hold of an armrest or even your knee and wait out the urge. Don't let your hand go near your face.

Hope this helped. Good luck!

~ Christabel

(#4 (permalink)) Old
As.I.Fade.Away Offline
King of Hell
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tristan

Re: Fingernail biting! Please help! - December 16th 2012, 09:03 AM

I had the same problem awhile ago and tried all of those but the one that worked the most was always carry with a marble or something small so when ever I got the urge to bite my nails or I caught myself biting them I would take a marble playing with it or just hold it. I hope this help

(#5 (permalink)) Old
For your sake, I'll be okay.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Brenna

Re: Fingernail biting! Please help! - December 16th 2012, 01:36 PM

I used to have a similar problem and I sprayed this horrible tasting stuff on my nails, or got a friend to keep an eye out for me so that she could spray them for me since i didnt trust myself to keep my own promise xD

“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated. If they can’t see the real value of you, it’s time for a new start.”

Dont be afraid to stand for what you believe in, even if that means standing alone..

“Self confidence is the most attractive quality a person can have. how can anyone see how awesome you are if you can’t see it yourself?”

“When the past calls, let it go to voicemail, believe me, it has nothing new to say.”

~Brenna

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Fingernail biting! Please help! - December 17th 2012, 02:48 PM

You can buy special nail varnish that is designed to help stop nail biting, it is clear and has a horrid taste to it, you can get this from most pharmacy's or chemists. My mum bought my sister some it was called 'nibble no more'.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Dobbie_93 Offline
Be Your Wild Self
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Laura

Re: Fingernail biting! Please help! - December 19th 2012, 03:51 PM

Ugh! I have the same problem.. My fingers get infected quite a lot too. I used the nail varnish but just bit threw it

Erm, on thing I tried was just to keep my hands busy all the time i.e. tapping or twiddling etc. Sounds silly but if you're constantly moving them, or doing something like an exercise or writing then you don't really think bout your hands.

Try a stress ball - even if you're not stressed at least you're keeping your hands busy

LOVE IS LOUDER
Than The Pressure To Be
Perfect...

Closed Thread