TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fenzy Offline
Only dogs should fear pounds.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Cassie

addicted to the ana lifestyle - January 20th 2013, 12:23 AM

I'm not anorexic.. but I'm addicted to the ana lifestyle.
I don't know what I want you to say
But I watch the documentaries on youtube and I'm like wow.. those girls get so much attention now. And I go on pro-ana sites and Im like wow.. those girls look so good. I don't even think I'm restricting for weight reasons, it's just something significant about me that I focus on.

It's an addiction..

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 990086 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: addicted to the ana lifestyle - January 25th 2013, 03:59 AM

Girls tend to fall under this type of addiction because it is something that you can control, unlike with most of what happens in life. However, it's important to remember that while those girls look thin, not everybody is built the same way, and that's okay! A girl whose curvy is just as beautiful as a girl who is naturally petite. So instead of looking at pro-ana websites and wishing you looked more like those girls, try and just be healthy within your own body shape.
If you can, blocking those sites will help to keep you from looking at pro-ana material. Eating a balanced, healthy diet will also help you to feel good about yourself and this will reduce the likeliness for you to go on those websites.
Also remember that anorexia is a serious disorder and that it's nothing you want to be associated with. Starving isn't a great way to lose weight, because you can easily gain it back. That's why it is so hard for anorexics to recover.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: addicted to the ana lifestyle - January 27th 2013, 02:55 AM

Hey there,

I think that Nicole has given you some great advice. In society they do not stress enough that the differences are what make us beautiful; try reminding yourself of that if you are struggling okay?

You mentioned that when you watch the documentaries you think about the attention the girls get so do you feel like you are lacking attention from friends and family? If so maybe you could try reaching out to them and try talking to them and asking to spend time with them on a more regular basis. There is absolutely nothing wrong with needing attention from people because all human beings require human contact and attention.

The pro-ana websites that you are visiting are not healthy. I know that you think the girls look good but in the end they are struggling not only with an eating disorder but they are probably struggling with other health issues as well. Eating Disorders cause so much damage to the body and some of it can be permanent. My friend has a sister who had an eating disorder for all of her life and is just now working on recovery and she has to go into the doctor for weekly checkups and to get some type of fluids or something for her kidneys or something (I don't know much about it because I don't want to pry). Instead of using the pro-ana sites maybe you could try finding some other sites to visit. Teenhelp is a great site and I know there are other sites that you could find that could be fun and are a lot healthier.

Have you ever used google to look up all the potential effects that your body could experience due to an Eating Disorder? I know that there are times that this helps me when I am really struggling with my Eating Disorder. It isn't exactly a cure but there are days when it helps me from doing something I might regret.

I wanted to touch on the fact that addiction are usually triggered by something so if you can work on figuring out what is fueling this desire to look up Eating disorder documentaries and pro-ana sites you can work on resolving those issues and getting to a better place.

Hope this helped and best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread