TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SilentBunny Offline
Formally Sn0man
Regular TeenHelper

Name: jake

Addicted to smoking - February 21st 2013, 01:35 AM

Hey so im 18, and ever since i was around 15 I have smoked about a pack every three months, but lately I have been going through a pack or more a month, and its really taken a beating on ym body, I would love to quit, but i have tried before with the gum and that didn't work. Please help me quit, or list soem alternatives i can do.

Thanks

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Addicted to smoking - February 21st 2013, 02:39 AM

Well, a lot of people find gum doesn't work! But there are lots of other options. There are patches, and electronic cigarettes, for starters. A lot of people have success with electronic cigarettes because it still feels like smoking.

Also, I don't know about where you are, but in my country medications to help you quit smoking such as Champix are subsidised by the government, meaning you don't have to pay very much for them. I actually know one person who has completely quit using Champix, and another couple who have cut down drastically.

Things you can do instead are many and various. Often being able to do something with your hands helps, so carrying around something like a keyring rubiks cube, or a small puzzle, or just something you can fidget with can be useful.

Things like cooking and exercising are great, too. Exercising is a double whammy because as well as distracting you from wanting to smoke, you get those feel-good endorphins after, and it contributes to your general fitness.

That's all I can think of.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: Addicted to smoking - February 21st 2013, 05:09 AM

Not to promote cigarette use, that's actually not bad. Smoking a pack a month isn't even borderline addiction.

Yeah cigarette smoking is a dirty habit but unless you moderately smoke which is what I believe you are doing, you should be fine.

As the user above said, there are many alternatives you can use to quit your habit.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Corrie

Re: Addicted to smoking - February 21st 2013, 05:13 AM

Hey jacob,

As others have stated, you're smoking habit isn't that bad, but its better to quit now then when you find yourself smoking a pack a day. You have to find something to help keep your hands and mouth busy. The eletronic cig is a great alternative, because you get the Nicotine still, but none of the nasty side effects / health risks of smoking. Others also have a "pipe" that they don't smoke with but chew on with their mouth and such too keep their mouth busy.

Best of luck jacob,

You can do it!
~Corrie

(#5 (permalink)) Old
SilentBunny Offline
Formally Sn0man
Regular TeenHelper

Name: jake

Re: Addicted to smoking - February 21st 2013, 10:01 PM

Alright, thanks guys, I shall check into the e cigarette.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Simpry Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Simon

Re: Addicted to smoking - February 23rd 2013, 02:19 PM

I'm not a great person to be giving tips because I have relapsed several times. However, there are a few things that have helped me to stay off for longer. Just remember, if you get the cravings, they will only last two minutes. Then after two minutes you will have forgotten all about smoking. Initially, these 2-minute craving sessions will feel overwhelming and will come again and again and again, but after you've been smoke free for a while they become less and less common, until after about a month you're basically a non-smoker.

I would advise you to stop as soon as possible. Your smoking habit will gradually increase over time if you do not stop, until it reaches a peak of maybe 10 a day. Then it will be harder to quit. I speak from personal experience. Good luck.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
shanrocks Offline
ShanRocks
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Addicted to smoking - February 24th 2013, 05:00 PM

I understand your pain. Its all about standing up for yourself. Like high schoolers, its like giving in to peer pressure, but on yourself.

I have been addicted to many things and cigarettes were the worst. If you're a cold-turkey kind of person, try that and see how it goes. If not, bum when you are drinking alcohol ONLY (social smoker) and limit yourself to only 1 or 2 per social-smoking nites.

Here is how I did it:
1. Do NOT buy a pack of smokes. If you have them, you will smoke them. Bumming from friends and strangers constantly gets old quickly and they will eventually be annoyed.

2. Don't even think about it. The more you think about it, the more you want one. When you think of smoking one, think about how your throat feels right then, think about gross crap like mucus and phlegm and tar... ew.

3. My boyfriend helped. He quit smoking and stayed strong while the rest of us continued. Every time I would smoke he would be very, very, very upset. He is worth more to me than smoking cigarettes.

4. Buy lots of gum.

5. When you quit, realize that it will take a long, long, long time to not want one... but even then, even my 80 year old grandmother still has dreams about wanting cigarettes and she quit 20 years ago.

6. When you do quit, you will feel ill, you will feel tired and down and cranky and pissed off and crazy. This will pass. Do not give in!

7. This next one is entirely dependent on your personality.... if you like the social habit part of things, partake in the social habit part. If it is too difficult for you to stay social without wanting to bum, then don't partake. You may lose friends over it, but what kind of friends are those?

8. Sooner or later you won't feel like the only one not smoking... my group of friends quit one by one... and the last one standing outside smoking felt very alone.

You can do it! You can do anything.... trust yourself.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
SmithWood Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Addicted to smoking - March 7th 2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0man View Post
Hey so im 18, and ever since i was around 15 I have smoked about a pack every three months, but lately I have been going through a pack or more a month, and its really taken a beating on ym body, I would love to quit, but i have tried before with the gum and that didn't work. Please help me quit, or list soem alternatives i can do.

Thanks
a lot of people still smoking socially, I've got a few pals who smoke so when We discover them I love a light up about the nice coffee. Though the positive thing is actually My partner and i shattered the particular habit.

We cut lower steadily. We recognized my own causes and i quit smoking at locations. When i first stop smoking at the job, that was challenging. I Quickly stop smoking at house. Today We just smoke cigarettes when almost every other full week while i check out specific good friends.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
THE FAPMAN Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mr. Fap

Re: Addicted to smoking - March 10th 2013, 04:16 PM

Im a smoker too... Its interesting, the fact when i dont have money to buy the cigarettes, i dont smoke... But, ive just started to make a lot of money online, so ****...
Anyways, when I have the money to buy them (weekdays) I smoke about 10 a day... Because I have a lot of stress in my life because of school... But, my friend quitted, and im encouraging you too, and as people said: You will feel shitty and depressed... But when that goes away, youre almost there... Few more steps and youre done... Ive failed at that part... The depression part, and the nausea and stuff... But, i can see that my brain is sort of fine when he does know the fact theres no way to buy cigarettes, so he isnt making any trouble... xD
But yeah, good luck!

Closed Thread