TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
dj_chicharito Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Dhananjay

Caffeine - February 27th 2013, 11:59 AM

I drink a cup of coffee in the morning and maybe an energy drink or another cup of coffee in the evening. It probably isn't that much of an addiction but what I realized is that the days I dont have coffee in the morning i get extremely lethargic in the the afternoon and evening. Its so bad that I end up sleeping for almost 6 hours and then can't study or do anything. Once i didn't have coffee for 3 days and started getting really irritable and snapping at people. So i think its an addiction. How do i stop?

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Tro Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tro

Re: Caffeine - March 3rd 2013, 09:32 AM

I had a similar problem, but particularly with energy drinks. I used to drink an average of 3 of them a day (and they'd usually be the bigger ones, like Monster energy drinks). I personally tried a cold turkey approach to quitting, especially because I felt like the addiction wasn't as serious as, say, an addiction to hard drugs.

A good thing to do would be to find someone who you can tell about the problem you've been having, and then have them hold you accountable (by asking you whether or not you've had any coffee or energy drinks that day). Having someone do this for you can make you feel like you need to hold yourself up to a higher standard. It'll also make you feel very guilty about trying to sneak in a coffee or an energy drink, but you have to make sure that you're very honest with the person who's monitoring you if you do find someone to help you with quitting.

Much more importantly, get rid of your immediate coffee and energy drink supply (don't keep any at home). If you have the supply, it'll only be a matter of time until a relapse occurs. You'll undoubtedly have some trouble getting around to quitting what with withdrawal issues like irritability and lethargy, but if you have the stuff around you then you're going to be much less likely to push through it and avoid drinking coffee/energy drinks.

As a final note, change how you think about the drinks themselves. Don't view it as something you need to drink but don't want to. View it as something you don't need at all, but sometimes enjoy drinking. If you can go beyond that, try to think of coffee or energy drinks as something you don't even really want to drink, because you don't want to get addicted to something (even something relatively benign like caffeine).

No matter what you try though, I hope it works out well for you! PM me if you want to talk about it more/ask any questions.
  Send a message via AIM to Tro Send a message via Skype™ to Tro 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Caffeine - March 3rd 2013, 03:21 PM

You have two options, either quit completely if you so choose, or just reduce the amount you are drinking.
I personally have a cup every morning (somethings two on weekends) and then another in the evening and I am fine.
If you don't want to completely stop drinking them, then just try and reduce to a cup every morning and see how you feel then. If you still get lethargic, then quitting completely for a few days usually does the trick. Caffeine isn't that dangerous, and honestly you can drink a lot of it without any major health concerns. I saw a documentary on it and there are actually people out there who consume the equivalent of 46 cups of coffee (through other ways of getting caffeine, such as pills).
If you start feeling lethargic, try making some herbal tea. Fruit can wake you up, and herbal teas don't contain caffeine.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

Closed Thread