TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
KimmyKitty Offline
Queen Kitty Bae
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kimberly

Unhappy Addicted to playing with my hair?? - May 28th 2013, 10:17 PM

okay, so I guess I can say that im addicted to playing with my hair?? i don't know why i do this. but i like to look for spit ends in my hair, and i like to split them. also sometimes i will just pull out my hair where i see a split end at. and sometimes when i find hair on my head that is really short, i just pull it out. I feel like a freak, and i don't know what to do about this problem. I don't even know what to call this problem. i know that it distracts me from my school work and i do it when im mostly alone or not near my friends. I feel like a freak... Please Help!!

SKITTLIFY!

Random Cat!
  Send a message via Skype™ to KimmyKitty 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
TinyTurtle Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Addicted to playing with my hair?? - May 28th 2013, 10:53 PM

Being addicted to playing with your hair is better than being addicted to something else like self-harm, so its not that bad. You don't have to feel like a freak I think everyone does weird things that not many people do.
Every time you want to pull your hair out think about how pretty it is and how bad it would be if most of your hair was missing. Have you tried plating your hair instead of pulling some strands out?

SH: "If you give in now, you'll give in the next time."- By SomePanda (my bff)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
bunnyrabbitt Offline
Bunn-ay
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Michelle

Re: Addicted to playing with my hair?? - May 29th 2013, 04:47 AM

Well, this doesn't seem harmful, which is good. I've found myself with similar behaviors though, I also obsessively pull out split ends. I've found that this is really bad for your hair as well, it just makes hairs all different lengths and then you might have to cut it eventually. For me, the solution was easy, I've found that if my hair was up I couldn't play with it as much, and there wasn't as much of a temptation. Could this be a nervous habit as well? Do you notice yourself playing with it when you are nervous? Anywhoo, I hope I've helped at least a little bit

-Michelle

Keep smiling, because life's a beautiful thing, and there's so much to smile about. -Marilyn Monroe

(#4 (permalink)) Old
KimmyKitty Offline
Queen Kitty Bae
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kimberly

Re: Addicted to playing with my hair?? - May 29th 2013, 09:12 PM

Yes I do play with it when I do get nervous ... but ive tried to keep my hair up, but I cant control myself and I end up putting it down I don't know what to do to fix this. Its takes a lot of my time up, and I just want to stop

SKITTLIFY!

Random Cat!
  Send a message via Skype™ to KimmyKitty 
Closed Thread