TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Harry

Unhappy Addicted to getting high - July 25th 2013, 12:52 PM

Ever since I hit depression a couple of years ago, I started doing stupid things such as self harm, aggression, drinking, smoking cigarettes, and drugs. I have recovered from the depression after a few events in my life that have helped really well. I have stopped most of the stupid stuff and I'm proud of myself, but one thing I can't stop is my thoughts and doings of getting high off weed. I hate it, and I hate myself for it but I can't stop, when one little thing happens, I instantly turn to weed or some sort of drug, I have tried things like MKat and the other things but I am sensible enough to stay on only weed and not go on the harder stuff like cocaine, heroin ect... Has anyone got any advice to help me stop abusing these drugs?

I think my parents know, I have come home before, and when they have been out has a quick hit in my room but they have never said anything to me. My dad and mum have both been involved with drugs before but they have quit now and are smoke free. So why can't I quit weed?

The problem is that I believe it is going to effect my life as I am at the crucial Year 11 taking my GCSE's after this summer break. I don't want to be a druggy nor a bum.

So can anyone give me some advice as to how to stop this obsession with drugs?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: Addicted to getting high - July 26th 2013, 04:04 AM

Hey there and welcome to TeenHelp!

I'm sorry that things have been so rough for you. The good news is that things have gotten better, which means you don't have to worry about the rest of the issue...it's just the addiction now

Although marijuana itself, in theory, is not an addictive substance, the high that you get from it certainly can be. Addiction is not easy to get through...just because someone else isn't addicted doesn't mean that you are going to just leap over it with no issue. I'd say the first step is to talk to your parents and tell them what's going on, then ask if they could get you set up with a professional, like a therapist or psychiatrist, who might be able to help you work through this and end your addiction.

And one more thing...you should be very proud of yourself. Many of us teenagers have difficulty seeing the big picture and looking after ourselves. You're being really aware and making the very good decision to take care of what needs to be taken care of so you can do well in school (and by extension, life) and stay healthy and safe. That's absolutely great

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

Closed Thread